Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Grant Schmidt could be commit #5 tomorrow

305Buck's picture
June 8, 2014 at 7:32pm
41 Comments

When he and his father visits Ohio State, per 247sports Alex Gleitman.

That's if his offer is made committable.

Woodysghost's picture
+4 HS
1967Buck's picture

The flood gates are open. Man, I miss Alex. Peace and Go Bucks

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture

For Urbz and Jozy!

-The Aristocrats!

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

This really shows how large the Buckeye nation footprint is, if he commits.

South Dakota --- that would be a first.

-3 HS
305Buck's picture

Yup, don't forget about Johnston from Australia, and potentially Gallimore from Canada.

Next thing you know, Ohio State will be recruiting in Mexico.

+3 HS
Crimson's picture

And watch out for those Germans.

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Makes me wish we'd landed that one Dutch lineman. Or was he Danish?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

If Brady Hoke reads this, he will go hard after any potential Danish prospects.

+15 HS
IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

And any recruits from Turkey, too

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+5 HS
Norwalk's picture

I read on Mgo he was recruiting Greece this week.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

This is the only Danish prospect that Hoke will be going hard after.......... 

+2 HS
GoBucks713's picture
jake and the fatman

can you tell me about the danish??

-The Aristocrats!

+4 HS
s.pasadena fl's picture

Schmidt could be coached up to be a very serviceable O Lineman. How is his speed?

Ed Hopper

hobochops987's picture

As fast as a silver bullet.

Trust in UFM

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

I'd prefer him to be able to stop Silver Bullets.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
305Buck's picture

Ari Wasserman from cleveland.com spoke to Schmidt and if things go well tomorrow, then Schmidt said he won't need to take any other visits. He wants to be the first scholarship football player from South Dakota to go to Ohio State. He wants to play in front of 100,000+ at The Shoe

+11 HS
osubuck57's picture

Glad he is so high on OSU. Hope he earns that offer tomorrow. Would be very cool to get a kid from South Dakota.

SCOTTC.

+4 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

This is simply a matter of if Ohio State accepts a commitment. I reckon we'll know within the next 48 hours if they do.

Woodshed's picture

Interesting to see what happens with OL recruiting if they do accept it. Limited spots, lots of targets.

The one thing people need to wrap their minds around here is this: IF they accept it, it's because they believe he's good enough. There's no charity offers from Ohio State. Forget rankings, etc. They've seen him in person, they know what they're getting.

Ahh Saturday's picture

I understand that there are no charity offers.  I also understand that the staff might even uncover a prospect further along in the recruiting process that they like more than someone that might have received an earlier offer.  However, it is also true that the staff does not always, or even usually, get its first choice at each position, and while they will sign those who are "good enough" the staff might have preferred a prospect it considered better.

Ahh Saturday's picture

I think we are still in good shape with Patrick Allen and Matthew Burrell, so a commitment from Schmidt likely means the staff has probably given up on Drew Richmond and Austin Clark.

Clark will be committing this weekend, and it won't be to Ohio State, so that definitely does provide some clarity.

Jordan Wagner's picture

Ed Warinner worked with Schmidt a lot at camp yesterday. He took a lot of reps. Urban Meyer and Mark Pantoni both were watching the offensive line go at it against the defensive line for about ten minutes. 

BuckeyeJ's picture

One of the things I have learned with Urban is that he trust what his staff see. It doesn't matter what div of HS or what a prospects ranking is-----if they like them, then they get an offer

skid21's picture

So we beat out Minnesota and Iowa State. Yippee for us.  I know Urban is a great recruiter but he isn't the only great recruiting mind out there. Get back to me in 3 years. Some say we shouldn't worry about the ranking but worry about the other offers. So?

-10 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Everyone here loves to bitch about how we let Luke Kuechly and Chris Borland slip by. If we'd landed Kuechly, people would have bitched about how we "only beat out Boston College" or whatever.

The staff knows a hell of a lot more about evaluating these prospects than some guy who sees a highlight video at work or sees that the kid is a high 3-star or low 4-star. Hell, Birm said he thinks Schmidt is extremely similar to Jack Mewhort. Good enough for me.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+6 HS
otrain2416's picture

Could say the same thing for Pat Elflein who's biggest offers aside from us were Northwestern Cincinnati, and Indiana. Funny because he's one of two guys that Urban and Warinner has named a starter next season. The offer sheet doesn't always matter bud, trust the coaches. 

+3 HS
skid21's picture

So how does that work? The stars or the offer sheet seem to be the gospel around here? I'm just saying I don't think this player is worth a commitment based on my seeing him in person. I'm not being paid millions to have an opinion but I still have one. I wouldn't be excited about a commitment from him so I guess my opinion isn't welcomed around here. I'm OK with that. My opinion remains that this player isn't a major commit for OSU, he isn't that good. I know some 11W staff think otherwise but I'm entitled to my opinion.

-10 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

It's pretty simple. OSU will not be basing the acceptance of his commitment (if it comes) based on an offer list or service rating. It will be based on what they as coaches have evaluated on film and the personal evaluations that they made of the player in camp. If you choose to disagree with their evaluations, that is fine.

OSUStu's picture

I think you got jumped on because you didn't originally express that you had seen or evaluated his play.  You only pointed to beating out Minnesota and Iowa State for his services.  IMO it means far more that staff sees something they like than that he doesn't have offers from Alabama, Oregon, or even Wisconsin.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

No one said you weren't entitled to your opinion, that' what this site is for. But to semi take a shot at the coaching staff if they accept his commitment based on the fact he doesn't have a major offer sheet seems a little far fetched. Also you never mentioned originally you've seen him play in person. I was just giving an example with Pat that offer sheets don't matter. Could say the same thing about Darron Lee and Tyvis Powell who didn't have many "big" offers and they're both starting for us vs guys like Trey Johnson, Perkins, or Dunn who had a lot of big offers and haven't really made a huge impact. Even guys in last class like Terry McLaurin and Mike Gesicki for PSU had no big offers until we offered them and they blew up after. 

+2 HS
skid21's picture

Also you never mentioned originally you've seen him play in person.

It was only once so maybe not worth the mentioning. Either way, I wasn't impressed.

-4 HS
irishfury's picture

Hows that Job at a D1 football treating you?   Should be getting paid big bucks.  Especially with your talent to out scout Urban Meyer.  I'm very envious of your skill of knowing talent better then a top 5 college coach.  

OSUStu's picture

National exposure certainly plays into a player's star rankings and offers.  A kid from Sioux Falls just isn't as likely to get the national exposure that a kid from Miami, SoCal, or DC might get.  Usually a 4 or 5 star guy means you will get at least a serviceable player.  However, that doesn't mean a kid with 3 stars is unlikely to achieve just as much if the staff sees something in him.

Maybe you should be happy that our staff is not only recruiting the national hot spots but nationally (internationally in some cases) to get the best players and the fits for our program that they can.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

skid21's picture

Maybe you should be happy that our staff is not only recruiting the national hot spots but nationally (internationally in some cases) to get the best players and the fits for our program that they can.

Only if that means they find talent. I don't begrudge this kid a chance at playing at OSU. I just don't agree with the 11W evaluations and I don't think he would ever make an impact at OSU. The only way I could have any rep is to come back in 3 years and we could talk. Until then I'll get labeled as a naysayer, which I can live with.

-5 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

The usual local schools had been evaluating him for over two years and most never offered. It is what it is. Not someone that I would have expected OSU to "settle" for in June. 

-3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

It is what it is. 

But what is it?  One thing it could be is that all the "usual local schools" did a poor job of evaluating.  Another thing it could be is that the OSU coaches are looking for a different type of athlete on the OL than your aforementioned "usual local schools."  What you seem to be suggesting is that the "usual local schools" --would that include Nebraska, I wonder-- are better at evaluating talent than one of the top CFB coaches of all time, and one of the best OL coaches in the game right now.  I guess that's possible.  Maybe Urban Meyer and Ed Warriner were out binge drinking last night and started handing out hangover scholarships.  Maybe.  Or maybe they offered a scholarship to a guy with great size and agility because they think he might be good at this football thing.  As you say, it is what it is.

+2 HS
Crimson's picture

Sorry, Settle is a different recruit.  He plays DL.

+2 HS
Crimson's picture
+1 HS