Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Nick Conner Wins LB MVP

305Buck's picture
June 8, 2014 at 1:04pm
78 Comments

At Rivals 5 star challenge, over Jerome Baker, Jeffery Holland, 5 star John Houston, and 2016 5 star Keion Joyner.

ab1993's picture

Smh urban smh....

Class of '16

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

That Urban guy sure doesn't know how to recruit...

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+23 HS
bucknut8's picture

Nick Conner is a beast. Just dosnt have the Big offers to help support the fact that he's a beast.
I also think he has that chip on his shoulder now & is proving himself that he deserves that OSU offer.

He's a diehard Buckeye & im a strong believer in taking a top Ohio kid who bleeds S&G over a national guy that is a little more highly rated. a players recruiting rankings dosnt show the fight & heart a player has for a school. & the passion Conner has for OSU could possibly make him the better player than the national guy. He knows what it takes to be a Buckeye.
Lets go Urbs sign him up already!!!!!

#Buckeyes

+7 HS
JDunc686's picture

I seem to remember this guy named AJ Hawk getting looked over until much later in the recruiting process...

+5 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

Was originally looked at for FB before the staff figured it out he'd make an even better LB..Apples to Oranges.

logamaniac's picture

well it didn't really help him that he didn't play his senior year either

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Maybe this will get Nick Conner an offer now. Hilliard, Baker, Conner: sounds like a great set of linebackers.

+4 HS
bucknut8's picture

& all 3 from the OH! That's reppin!

#Buckeyes

+5 HS
GirthBrooks's picture

I thought that numbers were holding back his offer. With the possibility of hilliard, baker, and SKL. Now that Kilby - lane is out shouldn't this be a no brainer? What are we missing?

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Ricky DeBerry could end up as a linebacker, Hilliard will probably end up moving inside, and there are rumors that SKL is still taking his visits and could very well end up flipping to the good guys.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

DeBerry reminds me (player wise) of Anthony Spencer, Can be a great LB and although a bit undersized could be a 4-3 DE and play well at it.

ab1993's picture

I have a feeling they might wait till he camps to give him an offer. If they offer now it'll just seem like he was next in line if SKL committed elsewhere.

Class of '16

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

For everyone second guessing...we can probably save a lot of money if we fire our actual coaches and hire the staff at these scouting camps.  Sound good?  Clearly you think they're better at evaluating talent and filling our needs...

+14 HS
bucknut8's picture

Brilliant Idea! 

#Buckeyes

Knarcisi's picture

Let people have their opinions. Honestly, much of this is justified. We've missed on "can't miss" guys in recent years with out of state 5 stars like Bell, Sabino, and Grant, while in state grunts like Borland and Kuchely have excelled. LB hasn't been stellar for us lately and our D has been understandably frustrating. I'd rather be a little deeper at LB rather than have our 13th H position guy on the roster with only 1 football. 

+10 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I feel pretty good about the linebackers going forward.  Last year we loaded up with four prospects but this year they're being a little more selective...going for the cream of the crop (Hilliard and Baker).  Take a look at the scholarship grid, and you'll see that they're only going to lose Grant after this year.  How many LBs can we reasonably have on scholarship?

JDunc686's picture

I see where you are coming from, especially since we seem to be playing more out of 2-LB sets. However, with getting back to the 85 scholarship count for '15, I don't think it would be unreasonable to take 3-4 LB's this year due to the health concerns around Bogard and the chance (however slight) of Hubbard being moved to TE at some point.

Crimson's picture

Ash doesn't seem interested in switching out a LB for a DB, but Lee/Worley are the new mold for the hybrid at walk out linebacker.  I'm not sure what that means since both basically came in as a safety/star and will now play LB.

Knarcisi's picture

Key word is "prospects". Cam Williams had to play in key games last year. Translation = we need depth. 

hobochops987's picture

I love Conner and all, but I think were gonna flip SKL, he will still take officials.

Trust in UFM

+2 HS
cdkmike's picture

if we dont get hilliard people will loose there minds on this site 

Michael green

+18 HS
Woodshed's picture

On every OSU site.

+11 HS
Knarcisi's picture

We'll have to retighten them when we do. 

+11 HS
otrain2416's picture

I personally still like the idea of taking 4 of them if all 4 want in and either moving the smallest quickest one to STAR or the one that struggles in coverage or with the speed of linebacker to DE. 

ODEEZ330's picture

Plz urb

O'Deez330
stark county football

+5 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

lmao this is the best comment

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

brunstar's picture

Conner is camping on the 19th at OSU.  You have to think he gets an offer there if it's going to happen at all.  If he comes back to FNL in July with or without an offer that would also be a good sign.

305Buck's picture

FNL is July 25th, not June 25th.

+1 HS
brunstar's picture

Thanks, fixed it.

dubjayfootball90's picture

If we miss on connor I feel he will make us pay in the future

+4 HS

I hate his hair. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Groveport_Buckeye's picture

I would kill for a whole head of hair like that. LOL......

+6 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

I think he was Sixteen Candles. 

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
TCOB_6's picture

I'm hoping this Nick Conner situation doesn't turn into a Chris Borland situation. I fully trust our coaching staff and what they do, but its hard to see an Ohio kid perform so well against top flight competition and not hold an Ohio State offer.

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Borland was never coming to OSU. Didn't grow up idolizing the Buckeyes. He was a Wisconsin fan growing up. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

To everyone, it's Conner*, not Connor. And it's Burrow*, not Burrows.  As a recruit (in general, Conner is not our recruit), I'd like it for my team's fan base to get my name right, especially when my name isn't that hard.

+5 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

+11 HS
Groveport_Buckeye's picture

I still hope he ends up in this class. Problem is, we have Hilliard and Baker pretty much penciled in and I know staff feels they've gotta quit taking 3-4 LB's every year. Trust the staff..........

jamesrbrown322's picture

I will use a very recent example for everyone -

OSU grabbed Shazier. Everyone was so pissed that they didn't get DePriest, and if you look at it, OSU also allowed two in-state LBs (Nicholas Grigsby and Antonio Poole) to get away. Want to trade Shazier for ANY of those guys?

In a state as talent rich as Ohio, you can't get every recruit that we all want, especially if you are recruiting nationally like OSU is now. Many big schools allow talent to leave, or just miss, only for the talent to turn out to be exceptional players - Texas/A&M (Drew Brees, LaDanian Tomlinson, Jared Allen), Florida/FSU/Miami (Chris Johnson, Khalil Mack, Shazier), Georgia (Bradley Roby), USC/UCLA (Johnathan Stewart, Doug Martin, David Carr), LSU (Marshall Faulk), *ichigan (Antonio Gates) and Alabama (Philip Rivers and Jameis Winston) have all had in-state talent go somewhere else, and it didn't kill their programs. Hopefully, if Conner does not come to OSU, it doesn't bite them back. However, I will trust in the coaches to pursue whatever talent they think best enables OSU to win B1G and National Championships.

+7 HS
fatheadbuckeye's picture

DePriest was actually passed over by OSU for Curtis Grant. Can you imagine Shazier and DePriest on the field together. That could have been fun to watch.

MBW

-2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

The staff wanted DePriest also. We lost out on him to the Bama allure. Grant was a MLB and DePriest a OLB all the way in our scheme.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+7 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

I'm on my IPhone so I can't make a new forum, but I'm hearing that Hilliard is committing to ND with Elijah Taylor who told Moeller varsity players on Monday that he is committing. Unbelievable.

-1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Not saying you're wrong, but can you provide sources/ where you heard the info? 

Close friend texting Elijah Taylor right now. Will post conversation soon

otrain2416's picture

A lot of people have predicted Eljah to ND recently, which is no surprise because they've been in on him for a LONG time. Hilliard on the other hand would be news and probably cause mayhem on this site. 

I knew Elijah was long gone after that ND visit, I'm in shock at Hilliard however.

Very odd situation considering they play for rival schools.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Moeller and St Xavier kids are die hard rivals on the field but great friends off.

otrain2416's picture

If this happened especially Hilliard it would be a real kick in the nuts for our program recruiting in Cincy. 

+1 HS
Woodshed's picture

No offense, but I don't believe it about Hilliard for a second. The kid has been so scripted and meticulous about his recruitment and now he lets someone else let the cat out of the bag? No chance.

I am not saying he won't go to ND, but no way it goes down like that IMO.

+3 HS

CJ Hilliard's snapchat story would agree with me, although it may not have been more publicly announced. It's a picture of Justin's ND lanyard saying "he committed!! Go Irish"

Post something with substance or  get off the pot.

+4 HS
ab1993's picture

post a screenshot of his story where he says that or a screenshot of your conversation with taylor. we need some kind of physical evidence. if he's waiting till monday to announce it why would he let it out?

Class of '16

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Go screenshot his snap story and post it here for proof.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

So Hilliard said "he committed." What "he" do you think he's referring to?

Alright let's relax, please. Elijah said he does not know whether Justin is committing to ND. Elijah is. I do not know how to post a picture from my camera roll onto here, obviously I would've.

-1 HS
ab1993's picture

I'm hearing that Hilliard is committing to ND with Elijah Taylor

Make sure you know for a fact before posting this stuff

Class of '16

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Screenshot - email to yourself - upload to imgur - post on 11W.

Step 2 is optional but if you don't know how to upload to imgur from your phone, you might as well.

sivaDavis's picture

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS

Hey, I don't blame you. I jumped the gun and my friend had his stuff a little off. Here's what I do know:

1: Elijah Taylor is committed to ND.

2: CJ Hilliard is not good at hiding his brothers' commitment or he is a cruel jokester.

3. I need to stop, breathe and relax before I comment something I'm not sure about next time haha

+1 HS

3. I need to stop, breathe and relax before I comment something I'm not sure about next time haha

If only the rest of the internet thought like this.

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

1: Elijah Taylor is committed to ND.

Did I miss this commitment? Or are you typing this from the future? 

I knew he was committed to ND before he tweeted earlier today. He told Moeller varsity players on Monday about it.

GirthBrooks's picture

Until I start seeing crystal balls Flippin, I'm treating this story like expired milk............I'm not buying it

+3 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I listened to the Bill King show that had jc from 247 sports on. Hillard was mentioned and said it was more osu right now. 

+1 HS
srslydood's picture

He's a good LB for sure but he doesn't fit Urban's system. Too slow. He's more of a MSU or Wisky type of LB.

-4 HS
OSUlewis's picture

Seriously? I understand that it would hurt to lose a player of Hilliard's caliber to ND but to make a comment like this... Do you really think our staff would waste so much of their time if they did not think he would pan out in "Urban's" system?

stittracer99's picture

I think he was referring to Nick Conner, which is who this thread was originally about. He posted a new comment, not a reply to a Hilliard comment.

OSUlewis's picture

I apologize and stand corrected! Makes much more sense now - thanks for the clarification.

LoveTheeND's picture

Hello all, I'm an ND fan (obviously) but I've been lurking around 11W for a while. I live in the Ohio area, I've got several close friends that are big Buckeye fans, and ND and Ohio St have been sharing in some recruiting battles lately, and I value added perspective when I'm checking the ND boards. I'll try my hardest to not do anything that can be construed as "trolling" while I'm here.

I think BuckeyeNationForLife may have gotten mixed signals on his Hilliard/Taylor story... we know Hilliard didn't commit to ND, but I think the confusion came from the fact that Hilliard was actually with Brian Kelly when Taylor called him to make his commitment. So the initial reference involving Hilliard/Taylor and a commitment was simply about Hilliard being there during a commitment... not that he's making one. I hope the Irish land him, and it looks like they may have taken some momentum back after things were in Ohio State's favor for a while.

+3 HS

How did they take the  momentum back at this point in time?

LoveTheeND's picture

Apparently his most recent visit to ND went well, and he's considering a return trip for ND's upcoming camp, Irish Invasion.

It looked to be all OSU for a time before that, hence the "got some momentum back" comment.

-1 HS

I think its been a ND and tOSU battle from ground zero. I know he has been up to Columbus an extraordinary amount of times. I wasnt aware of his recent visit to ND but seen that he planned on going for the invasion. Just asking a friendly question because all signs have been he wants to go to tOSU but the parents want him to look at ND more closely.

LoveTheeND's picture

If he were to decide on ND, I would hope it's because he's decided it's the place he wants to be, not because his parents pushed it upon him. Otherwise a commitment to ND would still have me nervous all the way to signing day (and perhaps beyond; thanks a lot Eddie Vanderdoes).

As it stands I'm trying to temper my hopes. If he visits for the Irish Invasion camp and it goes well, though, I fear I will pass the point of no return in hoping things end well for ND.

-1 HS