Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Kyle Oliver - 2015 | TN | TE | Jr. Highlights

Gray Box's picture
June 2, 2014 at 3:03am
25 Comments

Kyle Oliver was at Ohio State this past weekend and impressed many at the Ohio NFTC. He doesn't currently hold an Ohio State offer, but that could change. His home state school Tennessee is showing a lot of interest lately too. Oliver posses that rare tight end size, but wide receiver speed and abilities.

Gray Box's picture

He looks good in a Buckeye uniform too:

+6 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

So he's already use to playing with the O on the field.

I'm trying to understand why a 6'5, 230lb guy with good speed doesn't have more offers. Is his competition terrible?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Not sure in this specific case but a lot of kids bloom later. In my case I grew 5 inches and gained 50lbs. of muscle when I was 17 years old. It all happened in a 6th month period and most people that didnt see me in a while didnt recognize me. I still praise the good Lord today for that growth spurt as I'm still sitting at the same height and weight and without it I might have been Lord Tyrion.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

5 Inches - 50 lbs - in 6 months - at age 17 is amazing. Some kids get it early while others are delayed while even others never get it. Don't know how old you are but staying at that weight is quite the accomplishment.

+1 HS

Yes no lie or BS at all. I was 5'6 130lbs. right when I turned 17 years old. I never really ate right or worked out until that year.I got a pretty big chip on my shoulder that year.Went from benching 125 to 275 within the football season. I didnt realize actually how big I got until the Army recruiter showed up and took my official height and weight. I literally went from a shrimp to a solid grownup in a very short amount of time. Ive seen kids sprout bigger and stronger then myself just none I can remember that did it as late as me.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

So you were the kid I made fun of during my sophomore year but avoided like the plague my senior year. 

+2 HS

Haha yea lets just say I paid quite a few early bloomers back when the time became appropriate. And I wanted my money ten fold.=)

Jordan Wagner's picture

Could be a guy to watch if Chris Clark commits elsewhere. I hope to speak with Kyle Oliver soon and hopefully have an update on Wednesday. 

AlwayzABuckeye614's picture

He's got some nice moves for a person that big.

On another note, the picture above, why is the seat SO close to the wall? LMAO

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

Ha- I thought the same thing. I was like, "who can sit there and what can they possible see?"

I season my simple food with hunger

osubuck57's picture

Hope we can get this kid up for a camp or FNL. Looks good. May have to offer him sooner than later!!

SCOTTC.

+1 HS
woodi19's picture

Looks like a good prospect.  Plays about 10 minutes from my house so I will definitely have to check him out this fall.

BierStube's picture

I like the fact he "high points" the ball in traffic ... but his blocking ability is far better than most HS receivers .. this part of his game is way ahead of many top tier receivers. 

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

Ahh Saturday's picture

There's no doubt that Urban Meyer is one of the very best recruiters in the country, but even the best make mistakes and not offering Conrad was a mistake. It's hard to get excited about a 3* from Tennessee whose best offers are from Ole Miss and Louisville, especially when he was outperformed at camp by a 4* Ohio prospect heading to Kentucky who never received a Buckeye offer. 

+2 HS
cdkmike's picture

think u spot on should offered CONRAD

Michael green

-2 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture

Maybe we "should" have offered, but if we land Chris Clark, then what can you say?

Ahh Saturday's picture

I can and will say thank you very much Urban Meyer.

He's going to Kentucky. Not Bama, ND, USC, Stanford, Oregon, or Georgia. Heck, illinois was the only BigTen team to offer. It wasn't just Ohio State that was waiting.

Joe Burrow waited patiently, and it paid off.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Ahh Saturday's picture

CJ Conrad also made a mistake.  Now that he's going to The Opening I expect he'll get some more offers, and I doubt he ends up at Kentucky.  He seems to have a little chip on his shoulder regarding the Buckeyes now, and I suspect the sin of pride keeps him from flipping to OSU even if he receives an offer.

+4 HS

I actually wanted Conrad to be a Buckeye. His pouting changed my mind.

+4 HS

Yea if you are going to pout about a Big WR/TE hybrid getting a offer when you are not built the same way then something else is on your mind. I'd take the kid in a NY heartbeat but his refusal to not want to earn the offer in front of the coaches made me think maybe it wasnt a miss at all.

+1 HS
Becool12's picture

He has reason to pout. He worked out for the coaches several times in the past, several camps last summer, and they went to several of his practices. And all of which he had performed well at. You never know what the situation is when kids commit elsewhere. The coaches may have told him that he would be the next TE offer way back in January. Just because he didn't want to camp for the 3rd year in a row doesn't mean he "refused to earn an offer." 

Gray Box's picture

Oliver(#372), and others, in front of the Woody statue:

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Young men being a team - looks good to me.

Nice find Box

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

He plays at Oakland High School about 10 minutes from my house. Their coach is very good and won a state title as head coach and some state titles as an asst under Gary Rankin (10 TN football titles as head coach) at Riverdale back in the late 90s early 2000s. Oakland just sent Emmanuel Smith to Vandy, Josh Smith is a major D1 talent, and an OL to UT. Plus, they have Jacoby Stevens who is a rising sophomore with an offer from OSU. It would be nice if the staff could pull a kid from Oakland and build relationships with the staff there.