Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Travis Waller

BayArea_Buckeye's picture
May 28, 2014 at 4:17pm
77 Comments
Sin City Buckeye's picture

Is there a difference between Viper and Leo? "No, we just thought Viper sounded cooler."---Former Buckeye Coach Mike Vrabel

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I said this in the (8000th) Torrence Gibson thread, but I bet that Gibson's lowered interest is due to Waller saying that he's #1 on OSU's quarterback board, not because Burrow committed.

I can't imagine a better QB haul than Waller and Burrow, to be honest. Burrow is going to absolutely blow up on the camp circuit, and Waller is the real deal. Not that I don't love the idea of getting Gibson, but I'd love to lock up Waller now, along with Burrow.

Also, having Waller in the fold would probably help us out a lot with our west coast recruiting. So, Christian Kirk, a few of our OL prospects, and hopefully Waller's teammate Equanimeous St. Brown. I'd loooooooove to see him get an offer.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+14 HS
otrain2416's picture

While, this very well could be true (idk what the board in the recruiting room looks like) its interesting he doesn't have an offer yet (according to 247) and Herman watched him throw almost 2 weeks ago.

+3 HS
Danify's picture

Would be an dream to have Equanimeous St. Brown, Damian Harris, Christian Kirk, and Travis Waller in this recruiting class. Unlikely (St. Brown that is), but a person can dream.

+3 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

We need him if for no other reason than that kickass name!

+4 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

i have never cheered for an equanimeous, but i would love the chance.

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

stevebelliseeya's picture

Waller's teammate Equanimeous St. Brown

OMG I love it....

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+13 HS
1MechEng's picture

A special Key & Peele upvote for you, good sir!

Nick_Satan's picture

Don't worry my Buckeye brother you will have to say it more then 8000 more times. The gibson threads will just keep going on forever just like the mike gesicki ones did.

I always Hated .gifs and I said what they hell if you can't beat em join em.

Buck Commander's picture

Maybe Waller said this to put a scare into Oregon?????

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+5 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

This would be interesting, but I do not put much stock into crystal balls. I think they are stupid. (this is not meant to take any steam away from you, just interesting if your question turns out being true).

+2 HS
sharks's picture

No kidding.   One guy changes his pick, eighteen other guys follow suit really quickly.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

Groveport Heisman's picture

If we can get this kid to go with Burrow I would consider that a bigger get then snagging Gibson by himself. This is the kid that can really slang the rock and drop it right in the bread basket.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+6 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

Waller or TG, let's make a decision and start recruiting the rest of your national champ winning class!

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Kyler Murray's decision is today. That could influence Waller's choice.

Speaking of the Murray family:

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Thanks Owl. I wasn't paying attention to the time.

-1 HS
9Route's picture

ahhh yes, the 1987 Cotton Bowl between OSU & TAMU.

I remember watching that game as a young boy and for some reason, which I will never forget, Ohio State kicked the ball off at the beginning of the 1st half & at the beginning of the 2nd half!

I thought each team, by rule, had to kick off at the beginning of the game and the 2nd half, and vice versa for the other team. Whichever team wins the coin toss elects to receive the kick in either half, not both.

So Ohio State kicker Pat O'Morrow kicked off at the beginning of the 1st half & 2nd half, while Texas A&M kicker Scott Slater did not kick off at the beginning of either half. I've never seen that before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlpKrBY7fA

I'm just happy to be here

+8 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

The option is often taken to "defer" the choice until the second half.  The team who loses the toss always takes the ball, because the team who wins usually takes the ball in the second half.  I guess if for some reason, there is a reason to kickoff again in the second half, a team can choose to do so (weather, dominating D, crazy coach?)

+2 HS
9Route's picture

yeah, that's what I was wondering --- if Earle & OSU deferred for some reason. I think it may have been a windy forecast in the Cotton Bowl that day. Maybe a good Jeopardy answer some day. Pat O'Morrow was just a freshman I think, and he was wearing #34, but he later in his career he would switch to #6.

Side note: I actually met Texas A&M kicker Scott Slater in the Hamptons up in NY back in the Summer of 2003 and asked him about this. He was working for Morgan Stanley at the time. But, not to my surprise, he did not remember the fact that he kicked off in each half.

Thanks Johnny.

+6 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Uncle 9er dropping knowledge! 

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+3 HS
9Route's picture

you got it, OSU07ASU10!

Uncle 9er dropping some weird randomness here & there

+6 HS

Tune in at 8 o'clock tomorrow evening and Uncle 9'er will tell you just how many yards those kickoffs went.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
9Route's picture

8:00 sharp

+8 HS
Mi.Buckeye's picture

Do you think Murray committing to A&M will get Kirk to commit there? Hope not!

+1 HS
hobochops987's picture

He said that he felt like he was a "last resort" for Oregon.

Trust in UFM

+3 HS
GirthBrooks's picture

Ohio state offer coming soon?

Buckeye Knight's picture

Hopefully Urbz/Herman called him at 4:05 today.

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

If he is the top QB on the board, I sure hope so.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Him n burrows been my favorites all along

O'Deez330
stark county football

+3 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Even though i like Waller, and i rem hearing some of his peeps grew up OSU fans, i just dont see him spurning the Ducks, a team he wants to play for, even though he was a second choice.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

I think Waller will be going to Oregon now. He is probably a little hurt that Oregon didn't offer him until after Kyler Murray committed elsewhere but I have read that he has wanted to go to Oregon for a while. At the end of the day, I think he will consider us strongly, but ultimately go elsewhere. 

+2 HS
EwanJobi's picture

I realize at this point that it's just hearsay, but why would we tell a kid he's our top QB and not offer him?

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

I can't imagine they'll offer Waller, if ever, until they know for sure about Gibson.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

teddyballgame's picture

I think they'd take a commit from Waller if they knew Oregon was out of the picture.

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Yes, I believe this is about OSU not wanting to offer unless they know he'll commit. Why offer & do all that only to have Oregon swoop in & take him & OSU be there looking like fools...

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

Really hope this stuff on Waller is true.  Burrow and Waller would be a helluva QB duo!  This Gibson stuff is getting a little old as well.

+3 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

Which one will redshirt?

Tough one.  Based off of the limited highlight tapes I've seen of both, their arms seem pretty even, and they both operate in the spread.  I think Waller is more mobile, and based off of what others have said about Burrow's conference and given Waller's from California, I would think Waller's faced stiffer competition.  My gut says Burrow would be redshirted if we get both.

jamesrbrown322's picture

If Waller was really their #1 choice, they'd pull Gibson's offer off the table and offer it to Waller to prove it. I am pretty sure that they told Wimbush and Gibson that too...

teddyballgame's picture

It's not about Waller being good enough, he is.  It's about how Oregon is going to play this.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Then what is the harm in offering? I guess my point is that if they wanted Waller more than Gibson, they'd go ahead and offer. However, I think Gibson still actually their #1 guy, and they won't do anything else re: QB until they either get Gibson on campus or he commits somewhere else.

teddyballgame's picture

I don't think they've officially offered him yet because they know Oregon feels like they have this kid in their back pocket.  Oregon is probably confident that they could eventually flip him from us if they had to.

Two different scenarios that could work for us:
A) Oregon continues to slow play him without offering to the point where he is turned off by them. 
B) Oregon actually offers him and it's no longer something up their sleeve...then if Waller still wants to visit Columbus that's when things can get serious.  

I believe that Waller was planning to visit sometime in June, so we'll just have to wait and see if Oregon offers and if he still makes that visit. 

+1 HS
SonOfBuckeye's picture

Crazy speculation:  Maybe they did offer Waller, but asked him not to publicize it until/unless he accepts because it hurts their shot at Gibson to signal they regard him as replaceable.  OSU apparently will take only 1 more QB.  Worst case scenario would be to alienate Gibson by offering "his" slot to another guy, who then turns it down, leaving you with neither.

Old and busted:  public non-committable offers
The new hotness:  secret committable offers

+1 HS
GirthBrooks's picture

If he was their #1 choice, it would've been waller getting an offer Tuesday instead of burrow

+4 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Not necessarily.  He just hasn't been on campus or spent much time around the program in real life.  They probably suspect that Oregon will eventually offer and want to see if his interest in OSU holds up after that. 

-1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Since Murray chose A&M it sounds like Oregon is now going to offer Waller and make him their absolute #1 QB target as well. Because of nothing else other than simple geography I still think he will end up a Duck. If he does travel all the way to CBUS for the camp then our chances will obviously improve but I still don't see it. Hope that I am wrong though because a Waller/Burrow duo would be incredible both of them even with being mobile can just sit in the pocket and pick defenses apart and we haven't had that since Germain and Hoying. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Mad skills ------------ he will deliver - and make memories wherever he lands.

IBLEEDSCARLETANDGRAY's picture

Not sure what I find better, this news or the fact 9Route is posting. :)

"Sherman ran an option play right through the south" - Greatest Civil War analogy EVER.

+5 HS
osubuck57's picture

Hope we make him an offer, regardless if he's Oregon's to lose or not. Having two Qbs help out with recruiting ,would be much better than one :)

SCOTTC.

WesPatterson23's picture

I don't mean to question the coaching staff's motives, but I'm not sure why we need two QB's? Don't get me wrong I think Burrow and Waller or Gibson would be awesome, but that would give us 5 QB's on roster. I know we will be going back up to 85 scholarships, but I don't feel there is a need for 5. Cardale, JT , and Stephen and Joey I think will be plenty capable of carrying the load. For 2016 I think we're in Great position for Haskins, and 2017 we have Clark. So could somebody explain why we are trying to take two?

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

It always works itself out.

KBonay's picture

Stupid double post

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

You just want that extra H.S.

+3 HS

Little finger should get unlimited upvotes..Cant wait till Sunday to see Prince Oberyn fight the fucking Mountain.

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Anything can happen man. See: Antonio Henton, Rob Schoenhoft, Taylor Graham, etc. They don't always work out, and injuries can happen any time.

+2 HS
mtrotb's picture

Until 2 days ago Alabama had 6 QB's.    Bring them in and let them compete and if necessary they will cut themselves.

mtrotb

MTROTB is correct. USC use to bring in two 5* QB's it seemed like every class. Its really hard to judge who is going to work out until you are around them for a month straight. If I was a coach I would take the 2best QBs I could get every single year and let the others transfer out. Its not a position where kids will just hang  around for the love of it,actually 90% of these kids have been leaders their whole lives and they want on the field more then anything.

+1 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I'd love to land Waller but I think he's Oregon bound when he gets that offer. I think we end up with 1 QB in this class. For some reason I don't see 2 highly rated QBs sticking in 1 class. 

Hayze's picture

If anyone can land two highly rated QBs it's Urban. He landed Cam Newton and John Brantley in 2007 at Florida.

I don't think we offer Waller though.

We will either sign Burrow or Burrow and Gibson IMO.

+1 HS
DenBuck's picture

Yes on a sure Waller vs. a very unsure Gibson that will likely jerk us around with drama for 8 more months. 

Buckeye For Life

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Unless Waller commits soon, I think that Oregon offer will inevitably lead him there. Even without the offer most experts feel he is Oregon's to lose and that really says something IMO.

Northbrook's picture

Looks to me like it all depends on if he visits in June.

weimerad's picture

If Waller truly is the #1 QB on OSU board then why hasn't he been offered? I don't believe it for a second. they still want Gibson badly

BuckeyeJ's picture

And I am sure that they know he is the ducks  to loose. Oregon reached out to him yesterday  and will visit four-star Kai Locksley this Friday. Per 247 sports

I think we should offer Jones or Stevens and call it a wrap unless they just take one qb. And wait till next year for Dwayne Haskins.

sivaDavis's picture

With Waller reporting his top two are Northwestern and Bama. What happens now?

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

UrbanCulture's picture

Very strange... me confused

buckguyfan1's picture

I don't give a ton of weight to CB's @ 247 either, but Oregon has recently been getting peppered with Blake Barnet(another high rated dual threat QB) CBs.

Would like to see the Ducks take Barnet.  Seeing our speedy receivers run underneath Waller's bombs some day would be tremendous.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Would like to see the Ducks take Barnett

If for nothing else, it'll drive ND fans crazy.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

There is pleasure in that.

Nw and Bama......This kid must be super serious about the quality of his education....Wait, what?

+3 HS
Hayze's picture

As of right now, the only way we take two QBs is if we get Gibson 

that could change, Waller could camp and get an offer but it's clear to me the staff chose Burrow over Waller.

Mortc15's picture

Easy to see why. Similar skill level and burrow is an Ohio guy who had a great/guaranteed chance of coming to cbus and they needed a class leader to get the ball rolling. 

Buck-I4Life

OSU069's picture

I think Waller definitely has a higher skill level and more potential but I understand why they offered Burrow.

-1 HS