Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Our NEW #1 QB Target (IMHO)

Gametime's picture
May 12, 2014 at 1:08pm
41 Comments

Last month, the almighty Birm made mention of another elite QB target who currently resides on the west coast in one Travis Waller. If you haven't seen this kid's highlights you should definitely check them out.

He has it all and while he isn't an uber-athlete, he definitely does damage in the read option game and the major plus is that he's a habitual dime dropper and highly rated across the board in terms of being a dual threat and an very accurate passer.

To top it all off (according to Birm), his older brother has been a life long Ohio State fan, and is constantly in his ear about the awesomeness that is Scarlet & Gray.

He was talking about trying to get here to visit in April, but with that falling through, Coach Herman is scheduled to visit him on the 15th. He currently only holds significant offers from Northwestern, Utah, Washington, Cal, Tennessee, Penn State, and Vanderbilt and with the largest competition of them out of the way (Penn State), hopefully Coach Herman puts the full court press on this kid EARLY.

I gotta say I love our chances with this one!

Go Bucks!

route4buckeye's picture

I agree, Gametime.

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Impressive, i love the National Recruiting

O-H!

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I still think Gibson is our true number 1 but I agree the kid has a way more dangerous arm. Still not convinced we don't take 2 QBs.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+2 HS
BROSEPH's picture

Where are half of these games in his highlight reel?  Some of those stadiums are awesome for high school, the minor league stadium looks cool to play in.  

Wow just went and rewatched all the highlight tapes and this kid can drop it in the bread basket. Id take his commit in a heartbeat. The offense he is running looks fun and dangerous as hell,he uses Herman and Urbans philosophy of spreading the field vertical and horizontal. Good looking GameTime.

+5 HS
HouseHarleyBuilt's picture

I upvoted you because someone down voted you for no reason. I fail to see why you deserved a DV, your assessment was honest and positive.

+1 HS

If you were typing at me Harley it is because I take a stance and defend people on certain subjects. They think following me and DVing every single comment will effect me. Don't jeopardize your posting History for me. You seem like a good hearted dude and I will make sure to upvote you when we brush across each other in threads.Thanks

-2 HS
bedheadjc's picture
+2 HS

Certain groups of people that I have I pissed off.=) Don't want to label because that's dangerous business.

ronbizi's picture

I'm not a frequent poster, just a reader interested in Ohio State and everyone's thoughts.  I think you're hit or miss, more often harmless and I like that you throw some provocative thoughts out there.  Sometimes I also feel you had one too many to drink.  But serial down voters are terrible at all times.  Each comment should be judged on its own.  Wish we could see who are responsible for the up votes and down votes in this site.  The Bengals boards does this (I'm a Bengals fan).  Honestly, there are many, many more trolls there than at eleven warriors.  But their rating and upvote/downvote system works much better with transparency.  When people can see your votes, it discourages silly downvoting. 

+2 HS

Very true Ron and I  make certain posts knowing damn well Im going to get bombarded....Yes you called it correct I am a suffering alcoholic that at times lets the juice influence what and how I respond. The staff will occasionally tell on people who DV things without merit. We enjoy having you here and I also frequent the Bengals board just no longer post there. The bickering got too petty for me and I found better audiences. I fully appreciate your honesty and welcome you to Buckeye Nation.

Calgarybuck's picture

Waller has tonnes of upside and plays in one of the most grueling HS conferences in the country were 3-4 teams including Servite will be ranked in the top 50-100 HS in the country, Our main competition would be Oregon and they are in the thick of the race for a few other qb's.  Should be an interesting recruitment

+1 HS
CincyCaliBuck's picture

From everything I've seen on the west coast. He is waiting for an Oregon offer. If Oregon does offer then that's where he goes, or at least that seems to be the thinking. Can never count us out though!

+2 HS
BucksfanXC's picture

You don't see West Coast recruits come to the Midwest or even to the South very often. It happens, but it seems to always be an uphill battle to get a kid to move across country.

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Does the received with the #6 jersey come with him as a package deal? Dude made some hellatios grabs!!

+2 HS
Gametime's picture

WezBuck, it does actually! That is the WR mentioned in Birm's article with the awesome name - 6'5" #10 WR (247Composite) Equanimeous St. Brown.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

+4 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Well holy hell..good find! Wasn't aware of that!

+1 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

What a name! I want him now.

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

Crimson's picture

Where's Beth Mowins when you need her?

Equal Meows Road Black with another stunning reception!

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

It'll be tough to get this kid, but definitely an elite prospect, be great to get him to Columbus. 

Buckabroad's picture

Gametime is right. This kid has all the tools to being a great QB in UFM's spread.

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

He plays for Servite (Anaheim, CA) in one of the toughest leagues here in Orange County.  He faces the likes of Mater Dei,  St John Bosco and Mission Viejo.  So he is obviously performing against real good competition. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice to watch them in your own back yard huh - did you ever see him play in person. I'd love to see the full court press put on Gibson.

KBonay's picture

I'll check the fall schedule. If they play Mission Viejo away I would go, and catch '17 WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. too. 

If he ends up a Buckeye, I will for sure go see him play. 

allinosu's picture

I wish we could see the bad on these sort of things but his upside is impressive.

+1 HS
Gametime's picture

Agreed AllinOSU. I just don't want to see the team recruit uber-athletes playing QB anymore.

If we're perfectly honest with ourselves, taking guys who were athletes and letting them develop into QBs has been our formula since we last won a national title - since then, Troy, Terrelle, & Braxton have won a bunch of games and some bowls, but we're still not running through the tape.

A lot of that (IMHO) is because we haven't had a QB in certain moments that could step up and make a clutch QB play from the pocket. Since 2003, even with "game-managers" like Matt Mauck, Chris Leak, or Matt Flynn - those QBs could make those throws on in routes, or slants, or corner fades in the endzone.

Ultimately, I'd love to just have a QB first, and ATH second.

Between goals and achievement is discipline and consistency. That fire you have inside to do whatever you love is placed there by God. Now go claim it. ~ Denzel Washington

-1 HS
My2Sons's picture

Been saying that for years.

-1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Having Braxton Miller at QB is not what stopped OSU from playing for, and possibly winning, the NC last season.  In fact it's the opposite.  Braxton brought the Buckeyes to the brink of a NC, and would have taken the Buckeyes all the way if not for the collapse of the defense and a couple questionable coaching decisions (give Hyde the damn ball). Do you really think the Buckeyes would've been better last year with Chris Leak as QB?  Buckeyes have one of the most dynamic QBs in the country.  I suggest you appreciate him while he's here.

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

Agreed it wasn't near our big problem but not reading wide open receivers and missing throws to the ones that were was a problem. This kid appears to have both qualities.

Crimson's picture

Alternatively, we could just blame the QB coach, as we didn't really have one before Tom Herman.  Think of what Braxton would be doing if Herman arrived one year earlier.

+2 HS
Posterchild's picture

I would 100% agree with you if our offense was still designed by a Walrus and we had an ex-video coordinator as our QB coach. Braxton was far from polished but he wasn't quite the project that Terrelle was. If Terrelle was on the team the last two-years with this offense and coaching staff, I have no doubt he would end up as the best ever at Ohio State and maybe have won a couple of NCGs as well. 

Whoever ends up coming to OSU to be a QB is going to play in a system that will work around what they do best and can be assured that they will have a coach that is going to develop them into the best all around QB that they can be. You couldn't really say that about us before, but you definitely can make that argument now. Braxton's production this year will either prove or disprove what I just wrote. But I think that Braxton will be sitting in NYC at the end of next season with a shot at the Heisman, and I don't think he would be in that position with the old staff..

Ahh Saturday's picture

Braxton's Heisman hopes depend entirely on his health. If he starts every game, I have no doubt he makes it to  NYC. 

+1 HS
irishfury's picture

I think we might see Braxton have his best year.  I think he was shocked when his draft evaluation came back.  I think he going to have a chip on his shoulder this year.

Woodshed's picture

IMO miller would have been undrafted this year. 

Boyd went in the 6th round for crying out loud and he is a much better passer.

I was surprised to see Boyd drop that far personally.

Groveport Heisman's picture

I think  Brax would have been a 4th or 5th rounder. At least that's what I "want" to believe. He has way better measurables then Boyd. Doesn't have no where close to  the touch or accuracy but has the big numbers.. 40,arm strength things like that where a gamble will be taken.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Gametime's picture

Well we have a plethora of points to look at. We don't truly know if the WRs are holding back Braxton or if the opposite is true. We've only had Braxton as a sampling, but I believe Pryor showed ability to grow as a QB with his play for the Raiders and definitely believe he would've flourished immensely in the offense.

That said, (in reference to AHH), I'm not unappreciative of Braxton at all, but the truth of the matter is when our QBs intangibles were limited (i.e. the scramble, make something outta nothing, broken play completion) and they had to  stand in the pocket and march down the offense down the field, they all came up short to one degree or another. 

I look at what a guy like Teddy Bridgewater did on two busted wheels and a broken non-throwing wrist and THAT is the kinda guy I'd like to see leading the team. Or hell even when Smooth Jazz did his thing in OT. Running is really just a bonus, but I want that calm, ice water in the veins type who will take and make the big throws when we need them. 

BuckeyeJ's picture

I also lay some blame on several one trick receivers also. 

Kid is a straight up "Dime Dropper". Like Kenny with a tad more measurables.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

allinosu's picture

I think there is a lot of blame to throw around. Herman seemed to lose faith and we became a run heavy O. Which got predictable at the end. Hopefully we become more balanced and less predictable.

Very true. And the stretch run of like 4 games where we jumped out to a big early lead and shut down the passing game didn't help either. I really wish Urban and Herman would realize if we are up big ,lets work on our weaknesses. Screw running it up the gut 3 times straight when we have a passing game that needs the live reps.