Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

James Franklin

aztecs4924's picture
May 8, 2014 at 5:54pm
42 Comments

I don't really understand the current fascination between recruits, State Penn, and James Franklin.  Franklin was a .500 coach in the SEC, in a big city, and at a great academic school.  How is he reeling better recruits in and creating more of a buzz around PSU than Vandy? And most importantly, how is he landing the few recruits I care about (Sterling Jenkins, Adam Mclean-Wimbush I'm 50/50 on because of Gibson) over Ohio State?

Buck Wild's picture

Good school, immediate playing time & exposure w/ big alumni base in huge stadium...Hoke 2.0

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."
Woody Hayes 1913 - 1987

+4 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

^^^Buck Wild nailed it.  Great explanation

otrain2416's picture

Franklin brings a ton of energy and excitment into the room. He can relate to the kids on their level and forms great relationships. He can also offer them early playing time with the low numbers vs Meyer's philosophy where you gotta come earn it. Penn State is a great program and I hope they continue to get better because it will be good for the conference. The big question mark still is can Franklin coach as well as he can recruit. Our answer will be coming this fall.

irishfury's picture

The good news is Urban may be one of the most comptetive guys I've witnessed.  I bet he doesn't like to see someone else finish there gatorade before he does.  I have a feeling Urban is going to try to beat Penn State 100-0 this year.  I wouldn't put it past him.

He will then proceed to send the :) to all the recruits.

Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

As tired as I am of the "WHAT'S UP WITH PSU" and " WHY AREN'T WE BEATING PSU IN RECRUITING" stuff, are you seriously asking the question, and I'm paraphrasing here, "why is Franklin doing so well at a prestigious football school with rich tradition and history when he was only average at one of the few academic minded institutes and perennial, until his arrival, bottom feeder of gods SEC conference?

Read my entire screen name....

+1 HS
dwcbuckeye's picture

Whoa, Whoa Optimistic.  First of all you did not close your parenthesis at the end of that quote. 

You are giving the OP some big time grief.  I checked and he is very new having signed up just today.  I'll cut him some slack as a newb - unless he is a new troll

-1 HS
aztecs4924's picture

I understand they have prestige and tradition, but I don't really see a kid committing to play because they were good 10 20 30 years ago and not factoring in anything else.  I'm just saying if he's an average coach he's an average coach. I'm not concerned with the kids he's getting to commit or the kids he already has in the fold because I'm not really impressed by the end of the year they will be between the 8-10 range by the recruiting services which I don't put much stock in. 

giving the competition buck eyes

-1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Are you asking how he's recruiting better at Penn State than Vanderbilt... VANDERBILT?! Because, if so, I can't take you seriously. Snake oil salesman or not, there's a huge difference between Penn State and Vanderbilt as it relates to football.

aztecs4924's picture

I'm saying as a 18 to 22 year old would you rather be in Nashville or Happy Valley the SEC or the constantly hated on Big 10 which has 3 to 4 consistently good teams.  His recruiting pitch for Vandy would be start a rich tradition here and it changes to come make this school great again.  I don't really see the tradition as a major factor in recruiting.

giving the competition buck eyes

-2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

PSU lames are seen on other boards saying Urb still has major health problems and has more brain surgery scheduled. I even seen one claim Luke F. was going to take over for Urb this year while he dealt with his health. Supposedly this is why "they" believe they are whooping our asses on the recruiting front. Count me as the first man on the bus that wants to see our Buckeyes beat their asses with no mercy. 47-10 would  be sufficient in my mind.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-11 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I'd venture to say that this is a ban-worthy comment. At the very least, it's embarrassing to our entire fan base.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Westbrook's next comment would be appropriate here.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

TheTeam16's picture

This is disgusting. I know I am a UM fan and people dont like when I post on here sometimes, but I have a cousin who is a victim of rape. She has PTSD and flashbacks about it every day, and cannot partake in a lot of the activities she used to enjoy doing. It seriously bothers me when I hear people say "I am going to rape you, or "Get raped." 

Probably one of the most horrific things that could happen to someone in their life time, and nothing to ever joke about. Check yourself man. 

+7 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Not sure who in their right mind would downvote you...other than the guy who made that senseless comment. 

daytonbuckeye1983's picture

Hey holier than thou - Yes he was wrong, but you are a hypocrite.   What if Gibbons raped your cousin?  Would you still make the following comment?  Get off your high horse, you defend rapists

"Yet there is more proof Hyde did something wrong than there is proof that gibbons did something wrong. Again, I am not saying he is innocent, but you cannot act like Michigan fans are any worse than OSU fans are when it comes to sticking up for their athletes."

-8 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Umm, where is he defending a rapist? I think the fact that he is a UM fan is the real issue you have here.

TheTeam16's picture

Thank you cincyOSU. This problem has nothing to do with fandom, it has to do with a central moral compass that is lacking on society. People making light of rape or any other sexual crimes is disgusting. I think we can all agree on this. 

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

What I stated was a fact, i never once defended rapists. There is this notion called innocent til proven guilty. 

I also stated MULTIPLE TIMES in that thread that I was not saying gibbons was innocent or guilty. 

Thanks for playing, try again later.

tiph88n's picture

Yes, but by ESPN's standards a .500 team in the SEC would dominate the B1G...HA!  We will be just fine.

Pain is temporary...pride is forever!

-1 HS
osubuck57's picture

Personally love that Franklin is recruiting his tail off. We complain year in and year out about why the Big Ten is not recruiting like we are, and when we get another coach that does, we're asking questions on how it's being done?? He's the new kid on the block. He's bringing his passion and fire, and kids are buying in for early playing time. All good things for the conference!!

SCOTTC.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

People are interested in change, whether they want to admit or not.

Already said here - but PSU is still a very good school, with a tradition rich football program on the mend (with plenty of room for new talent to come in and grow).

I don't hold their feet to the fire, the community deserves to move forward - beneficial to both them and the rest of the B1G.

Franklin still has to prove his mettle in translating all this potential into results. A long way until fall.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+2 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

"So coach Franklin has your commitment today?"

+5 HS
BuckAlum35's picture

I think everyone knew he would recruit well, and honestly PSU should have been able to clean up that region of eastern PA into MD and NJ for years and haven't really done that. I am curious to see how good of a coach he actually is...his record at Vandy is deceptive because their non-conference schedules were pathetic and their wins against the decent SEC teams were while they were dumpster fires. Plus, almost anytime a new coach comes in there is a huge boost in recruiting...look at Kentucky and Tennessee. If I had to guess PSU will be a more talented team while he is there but a worst coached team than they were in previous years, so it will even out.

+1 HS
e135800's picture

I'm glad PSU is killing it in recruiting. Wish scUM would pick it up a bit.  MSU is getting there too.  Even with Rutgers and MD, The East could be one of the toughest divisions in cfb if these other schools recruit like we do. 

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

You wish our bitter rival would add more highly rated players? The same rival we beat by a single point on a last second INT of a 2pt conversion attempt? Honestly asking because I thought games like last year would change most Buckeyes minds about things like this.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
e135800's picture

Why not?  I want us to beat teams that think they are the shit and recruit well instead of listening to pundits saying that tOSU only plays against cupcakes. It would be nice for a change to play some top 10 teams during the season instead of just in bowl game. 

bucksk1n's picture

I never want another repeat of the 2007 season where a very weak Big Ten allowed us to get into the National Championship game we didn't deserve.  I only want quality Buckeye teams to get into the playoffs as winning there is the only way we will rid ourselves of the rep that we are always overrated.

The only way that will happen is if other teams in the conference are actually good and while I hate the teams in the states to our north and east I do recognize we are in a symbiotic relationship in making sure we are the best we can be on the national stage.

+1 HS
Adam21's picture

We played 2 teams who were ranked #2 when we played them (Texas and Michigan). We played another team who was ranked at the end of the year (PSU). Not saying we played the toughest schedule, but was that any different than FSU last year?

+1 HS
razrback16's picture

I think he was talking about the 2007 season with Boeckman.

CincyOSU's picture

That was 2006. He's talking about 2007 where we backed into that game when 7 other teams choked in the last 2 weeks.

-1 HS
Adam21's picture

Good point Razrback and Cincy. The other topics (a la Troy Smith/Manziel) started to run together for me. I retract my earlier statement.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

That was 2006. He's talking about 2007 where we backed into that game when 7 other teams choked in the last 2 weeks.

Karma for giving Illinois that TD they didn't deserve.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Jimmy "The Pimp" Franklin!

dude's pimpin hoes

-3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Hasn't this "joke" been played out already?

I'm not even sure why you call him a pimp? A reference to the hostess program? If that's the case then almost every college football coach is a "pimp" on some level.

+1 HS
countrybuckeye's picture

Recruit like you mean to be a contender -- and coach them up to be confident young men.  Every B1G team needs to take the state of the conference seriously, and do their best to work harder than their opponent.  I mean all the teams, even ttun.  

Okay, I apologize -- we all want another decade or two of despair from goblow fans.  ;-)

"Momma told me there would be days like this."

+1 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

I'm just glad this is the first time we've seen a coach come to a big time program in the Big Ten and start rocking the boat, saying the right things, and recruiting well. I guess we should lose sleep over this guy...

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

+1 HS
e135800's picture

No offense but I think he's the second coach to come in and rock the boat. UFM being the first in awhile.

+1 HS

Not where I was going. I've been beating the dead horse for a while-James Franklin is doing nothing different than Brady Hoke. James Franklin has to win a game or two before I worry.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

I agree but even if Franklin succeeds and PSU continues to recruit well I don't see it having an effect on OSU. OSU recruited well back when the B1G was still considered a top conference. Having more than 1 good/elite team gives the conference more prestige and in return causes recruits to look harder at the B1G. Not that OSU really needs the help, but it certainly won't hurt either.

-1 HS

Oh don't get me wrong, anything good for anyone other than OSU is good for OSU. I've long supported the Wolverine rebuild because it adds to the 'rivalry' that has been totally dominated by OSU since 2000. Penn State is (and this pains me) a rival of sorts given their status as a major football power that's in the Big Ten. Sparty getting its act together helps as well. If Michigan and Nebraska can ever get back to what they used to be and PSU can rebuild under Franklin, you have 4 of the winningest football programs in the history of the sport doing what they are supposed to. In a perfect Big Ten season, Ohio State beats all comers while Michigan and Penn State's only losses are to the Bucks (or one or the other depending on the schedule). The Big Ten has the historical programs to be the best conference in the nation but right now, only Sparty and OSU are pulling their weight. If Franklin has PSU on the right path, it will benefit OSU in the long run.

If Michigan could get its shit together, that'd be great.

+2 HS