Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Class Satisfaction

LouGroza's picture
May 6, 2014 at 7:32am
21 Comments

With the possibility of Wimbush and the OL going to PSU today, many are getting very anxious about the recruiting class. Yes they wanted Wimbush, but they may already feel very good about certain recruits. With it being a smaller class, Urban must be selective, so it depends on when the guys they want decide to announce and many big time guys wait. So, if this is what would happen, and it could, in the end would this class satisfy anyone? (There are many that could be added or removed and have heard the number to be 18-20 so 19 are named here)

1.Torrance Gibson   2.Damien Harris   3.Christian Kirk   4.Justin Hilliard           5.Jerome Baker   6.Chris Clark   7.Ricky DeBerry   8.Sh'mar Kilby-Lane   9.Matthew Burrell    10.Drew Richmond    11.Patrick Allen    12.James Daniels 13.Darius Fullwood    14.Dre'mont Jones    15.Elijah Taylor    16.Van Jefferson   17.Nick Conner    18.Jamel Dean    19.Eric Glover-Williams

Some could feel alright with this class, could you?

FROMTHE18's picture

2 kids are committed in that list…PSU is actually landing commits, not being named favorite or in the lead. Theres something strange going on where we appear to be favorites and then either nothing happens or they commit elsewhere (PSU has snagged a few of the guys we were in on). For me, I just want to see one or a couple of these guys pull the trigger already. Something sketchy appears to be working against OSU, maybe by the staffs own doing or maybe by other programs. Until the commit list grows, speculation won't help solve the concern being felt now that we are in May and not only haven't had a commit in a long time, but have actually lost one. Maybe Urban's got some epic plan to get all of these guys to commit at once or maybe we are more screwed than we think. I do find it fascinating that a team can go 24-2 under a coach with a great possibility of making it 34-4, 35-3, or 36-2 by the end of the next regular season and kids aren't lining up to play for OSU the way we have seen with Alabama. 

LouGroza's picture

Right, two are committed already. The list would be a simulated final list, including those two to show what could be. Just to show what could be. And there are several great recruits not on that list that could be, so it is just that, a simulated list. Does anyone else think the kids that are going elsewhere are not being "swarmed" for lack of a better word, by Urban to come aboard? I think Wimbush has a very good idea Gibson is coming and does not want to take the chance of sitting the bench. You can like one or the other better, no hyped QB likes that thought.

UrbzRenewal's picture

Penn State's strategy is to push for two visits closely together, pushing for a commitment and closing on the second visit (or shortly thereafter).

BuckeyeJ's picture

I could be very wrong, but I rem reading that Wimbush's mom went to PSU? I was sure it was a heart vs head thing and the pressure to be at PSU was just to great. As soon as I heard that I was 85% sure he was going that dirrection.

Osurrt's picture

Fantastic projected class that has talent and meets need. 

+1 HS
Osurrt's picture

Other than Alabama and Penn State, who is rocking it early on the recruiting trail. Penn State offers a depleted roster and early playing time (although no bowl playing), and Bama has the mystique of Saban winning National Championships and putting players in the NFL. We cannot offer either consistently yet for recruits. Think about that last fantastic National Championship and remember today's recruits were in 1st or 2nd grade.... A lifetime ago to them!

brandonbauer87's picture

I'm not happy with the way this class is going, but it's not really an issue. I don't think there needs to be panic until November or so. 

hobochops987's picture

We're not gonna get all 4 of those linebackers.

Trust in UFM

-1 HS
LouGroza's picture

It isn't an exact list of who OSU will end up with as there will undoubtedly be changes to that list for certain. The idea was for those thinking we are not going to fill this class with great players due to those players we offered that are committing to other schools now. There are SO MANY that OSU will be in on. This class will end up with a bunch of studs just as the past classes have been, is basically the point. Trying to get people away from the ledge.

-2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Honestly, of all of the potential recruits, I'm most disappointed with the way Van Jefferson's recruiting is going. Looked like he was all Scarlet and Gray, then backed off a visit (it was a holiday, I know), but now looking around more and taking more time to make a decision. It seems to be a theme.

However, it is early. These kids will change their minds. If PSU keeps all of these recruits, I'll be surprised. Everyone just calm down and at least wait until August for your freak out time. The hottest times, IMO are the winter holiday (Thanksgiving-New Year) swing, and summer, during camps. So, if OSU comes out of the offseason with only 2 recruits. then the outrage and worry will be somewhat justified. Just remember, FSU used to go through this all of the time before Bowden and Co. closed with a fury and a perennial top 5-7 class. I have a feeling that OSU will be that way this year.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

Alex has said multiple times that Van wants to end it and commit and his parents are sold on PSU but they want him to take more visits just to be 110% sure.

jamesrbrown322's picture

PSU? That would be another terrible outcome. I thought the Buckeyes had the lead for quite a while.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

BAR43's picture

I remember a similar situation last year when everyone was crying and worrying about *ichigan signing all these tops recruits and having the 2nd best class in nation very early on. How did that end again for them?!? People need to chill, plenty of time and more than enough talent out there for another top class for the Buckeyes! Penn has a respectable class but its going to fizzle out, kids will change their mind, and new top recruits will emerge.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I would like that very much.

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

Nice list. However, I seriously doubt Gibson is going to be a Buckeye. I also think Clark is doubtful. I was hoping for C.J.Conrad, but he will likely commit to Kentucky this week.

+1 HS
LouGroza's picture

You could be right about Gibson. I think getting him here for a visit will be the difference. Remember they are still in on TE's Hentges from Missouri and a kid named Jackson Harris from Tennessee that either could be very good. Again there are many, many great players OSU is in on that can cause their list to fluctuate. They will get theirs when all is said and done.

Remington2323's picture

Let's be honest. No way in hell we get all those kids. You need to come back to reality bud. Go Bucks!

+1 HS
LouGroza's picture

You missed the point entirely. Those are just some of the big names we are in on. There will be a class of names similar to those committing to OSU when its done, if not most of those. Folks just put off this vibe like Urban is really screwin' up but all is far from lost. That's the point. 

-1 HS
KBonay's picture

Early commits equal later flips in some cases. Some schools let up on the gas leaving others to swoop in.  Not to mention, we have yet to see Franklin coach a game in the B1G. A poor season could swing some guys back. 

KBonay's picture

Repeat response. Sorry