Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Not Saying Sky is Falling...

JohnnyKozmo's picture
April 27, 2014 at 8:15pm
83 Comments

I'm not on the "the is the worst recruiting class, we can't get commits, the sky is falling" train.  I think it's interesting that we only have 2 (maybe 1) commit, but it's not concerning-it's not even May yet.  The facts are the facts though, and with only 2 commits, tOSU isn't where they would expect to be.  There has to be a reason, or reasons for the current state.  I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks it is.  Here are some of the possibilities I've thought about, and what I have seen others post:

-No Class Leader

-Last 3 classes have been great, our depth chart is loaded (doesn't stop present day Bama, or USC from early 2000's from reeling in top 3 class year after year)

-Waiting on a lot of big names, whose recruitment will be drawn out

-Not winning the big games/Big Ten down

-The BIG DAY theory, with multiple big time recruits planning a day to top Bamas.

Here's one I have yet to see discussed-not producing large #'s of NFL draft picks and high profile picks.  I know we still have guys drafted, but it's no where near the level of the early 2000's, we had like 10 or 12 taken in one draft, with 1st rounders almost every year.  Maybe the cupboard was a lot more empty than even Urban let on when he took the job.  That has to be one of the biggest factors, especially considering present day Bama and USC from early 2000's.  A lot of those teams could beat half of the NFL on a given Sunday (as a Lions fan, I know first hand how bad NFL teams can be).   

So once again, Urban and staff have a tremendous track record, so it's WAY too early to be concerned.  But there has to be some reason(s) as to why the commitments are slower than normal.  Just seeing what everyone else thinks.  

m5987usus's picture

I cannot wait until we get a commit so that threads like this stop. No offense man.

O-H!

+45 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

No offense taken.  I'm not on either end of the spectrum.  It's just interesting to me more than anything.  I don't want to say I could care less about it, but there's nothing any of us can do about it except talk about it.  

+6 HS
SilverState's picture

Good thread. I think the attribution aspect is interesting too. I would guess the "Big Names" theory is probably the most responsible. Been wondering about the "Lost Last 2 Games" theory because it presumably slowed down the recruiting momentum they had going, at least a little bit. That and the perception beforehand was that we were the King of the Big Ten...not that I think that's changed, of course. But I would guess that aspect would at least cross a recruits mind.

-3 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Bama lost last 2. Not slowing them. 

SilverState's picture

Didn't think about that. Good point.

m5987usus's picture

yea i know what you mean man, i mean i'd love to help recruit for them also, but im sure there is a recruiting violation with that. LOL

O-H!

SilverState's picture

Have Twitter?

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Notice how favorite = OSU?

Retweet sounds like...retreat.

Therefore he's retreating from Tennessee and his favorite is OSU

+6 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Mind Blown

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+2 HS
tdible2132's picture

One thing is for certain, I'm going to be very happy when the time comes and I open 11W to see "So and So is No. 3"

InvertMyVeer's picture

Nothing wrong with being concerned but I agree it is way too early to say the sky is falling. I can't remember who it was or what thread but I saw another poster on here show year-to-year that it is usual for Urban to not have a lot of commitments for a class at this point. We're going after the big fish and those recruits typically want to take their time and look at all their options since they have more schools to choose from (ie: Torrance Gibson). Have faith, Urban will get it going.

Football is complicated...

+3 HS
southbay's picture

I keep thinking, the Buckeyes have had two top five classes in a row, and a lot of those guys are just getting to a place on the depth chart where they will really start seeing a lot of playing time.  We're loaded.  So maybe this next class isn't top five, it will probably still be top 10, and we will still be in great shape.  I don't follow the recruiting stuff all that closely, but that's my take.  Probably won't sound good to everyone, but it's not bad.

+1 HS
InTressITrust's picture

I heard a lot of recruits wanted to commit but Urban told them to wait until the All American games

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

We have the 55th ranked class in the country. We have became a laughing stock in the recruiting game. Kids are playing, and using Ohio State to build attention for their recruitment. We have the 10th ranked recruiting class in the B1G, only ahead of Purdue and Maryland. One of our 2 current commits likely won't be a member of this class.

Im going to save my fellow Buckeyes the heartache

Matthew Burrell-Penn State

Ricky Deberry-Tenn

Damien Harris- Alabama 

Christian Kirk- Texas A&M

Brandon Wimbush-Penn State

Justin Hilliard- Iowa

Chris Clark- Michigan

Van Jefferson- South Carolina

DIRECTIONER

-11 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Lmfao. Bye felicia.

O'Deez330
stark county football

+10 HS
otrain2416's picture

I'm going to respectfully disagree and say when all said and done 5 of those 8 will be buckeyes. 

+6 HS
Killer nuts's picture

I feel like I say this once a week lately:

bassdropper, why you no like up votes?

+8 HS

Just when we let you back in the game you come strolling out of the closet with a even bigger set of clown shoes on. Some people  do not know when enough is enough.

BassDropper's picture

dude you need a life. You take this internet message board thing way too serious. 

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS

Dude you might be the one that needs a life. I take nothing on the interwebz serious and usually have a nice big shit eating grin when I partake. You are the one that constantly puts yourself in a position to get your little feelerz stomped on. You come back from more retirements then Jordan only to drop ancient wisdom like you have above? Sometimes I read your shit and think you are joking then you go and prove me wrong almost every time. Thought I raised you a little better,grab daddies belt loop and lets go for a walk.

+4 HS
coloradobuckeye's picture

~~I take nothing on the interwebz serious and usually have a nice big shit eating grin when I partake.

How do you grin when eating like this?

Let your hobbies and interests supplement your life, not be the main course.

Oakland Buckeye's picture

Bass is telling someone to get a life?

The Master of Panic?!?

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

I've made 16 post in the last 7 days, Colerain has made 24 post in the last 24 hours....I already have a life, Colerain's life is this board.

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS

"""Fluffs hair"""""

-3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Don't forget that longsnapper we can't get to commit either. 

+3 HS
DeepSouthBuckeye's picture

So this means you think we are getting Gibson? Sweet!

Loving all things Buckeye from SEC country in Alabama.
"How firm thy friendship....O-HI-O"

OSU069's picture

I hope this was sarcasm. 

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

obviously. Some people are too dumb to realize it though. 

Upvote for you for being the only one with a brain who didn't responded to that post like it was serious. 

DIRECTIONER

-8 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Ok so I'm thoroughly confused... Your one post above has -11 helmet stickers and I can't vote on it anymore... The one a couple comments down has -10 and I can't vote on it.

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE WORLD??!?

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

There's a glitch in the matrix.

Maybe he had 1 upvote which is why it took 11 to lock it.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

That would still equate to a -10 total though, right?

Yep.

Is it an auto-lock at 10 or do the mods lock it?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

jeremytwoface's picture

Good question.

These are questions that need answering!!! I demand answers!

+1 HS

I demand answers!

And Jeremytwoface was never heard from again.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

It's not just me who is receiving -11 down votes, I noticed on a couple of other posts others were experiencing the same.

DIRECTIONER

-2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

And for this comment you get 4 down-votes?

Someone has it out for you B.D.

I will try to help you out.

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

So you are saying that, besides identifying you as Agent Smith, we may also be able to identify Agents Brown and Jones as well?

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

JakeBuckeye's picture
+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

Every time I make a post like this, where it is so obvious that the post isn't meant to be taken serious, I am guaranteed to get the same responses...from the same people. It's too easy, actually. 

btw, the players I mention are all guys who I think WILL be Buckeyes. Van Jefferson, Burrell, Deberry are all damn near locks IMO.

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Yea getting the best perimeter player in ohio n underrated cb from Florida is horrible. If urban n pantoni were concerned they wouldn't stop recruiting a 5 star when we were the favorite or co favorite

O'Deez330
stark county football

+1 HS
lippertini's picture

Ok, painful truth time.  The people who are saying that they aren't worried at all are the same folks that said not to worry about the defense last year through 10 games because they hadn't lost yet.  Fact of the matter is that the Buckeyes are having a bad EARLY recruiting period.  

Depth due to our recent recruiting success is surely one part of the problem, and another is that the Bucks lost both of their games against elite competition last year.  

Like it or not, OSU hasn't OFFICIALLY won a bowl game since the end of the 2009 season.  17-year olds have SHORT MEMORIES.  

But that will turn into a huge plus if the Buckeyes win a BCS bowl game next year, and infinitely moreso if they run the table.  But if they lose the last two games of the season again, a top-5 recruiting finish is out of the question, imo.  

Even if that were to happen, I have faith in Urban-the-Coach-and-Leader-of-Young-Men.  This team can survive a bad recruiting year and be elite for some time based on the talent already here and top-20 class level reinforcements.

Just please no more nonsense about not being worried about this class, okay?

-3 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Very honest, insightful post Lippertini. Probably won't be popular. I can see where you are coming from. Like the OP stated, the sky isnt falling, but we are definitely stuck in neutral. Someone posted the other day, it was the most accurate assessment - No grey boxes equal bored readers

+3 HS
Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

Spot on Lippertini. To most young kids that didn't grow up in Ohio, or as Buckeye fans, we are the team that was always  "Over rated". And this past year was a perfect example that will fuel that fire when people call us that. It sucks, but it's reality.

" I'm a Buckeye "

-1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I most definitely am not worried about this class, not at all. I have been around this recruiting game for a few years now. My gosh it is only april.

+1 HS

Depth due to our recent recruiting success is surely one part of the problem, and another is that the Bucks lost both of their games against elite competition last year.

If losing mattered, UT, and Miami wouldn't be in the top 10. :/

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Just please no more nonsense about not being worried about this class, okay?

If you are worried about things over which you have zero control, you are going to spend much of your life being miserable.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Why is it that when players decommit, we don't hear from them again - but when BassDropper de-commits, we can't get him to stay away?

Go Bucks!

+9 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Haha let's take a poll, what do you think we've had more of?

Upvote for Fire Fickell threads

Downvote for Poor Recruiting threads.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

I think it's even now.

+1 HS

I said during the season that people would start complaining in April about the '15 class. I was hoping I would be wrong.

+1 HS

People need to get off these guys' backs for being concerned about our current class. It's simple, if you don't get talented players you don't win games. I understand telling them to calm down, but don't bash someone for being concerned that their favorite team is having an abnormally slow recruiting start. If you don't think it's even a bit concerning, you are most likely in denial.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+1 HS

How long have you been visiting 11w? I ask this because it doesn't seem like it's been too long based on your comment.

People complained early about the slow start for the 2013 class. Ohio State finished in the top 5.

People complained early about the slow start for the 2014 class. Ohio State finished in the top 5.

Despite the fact that Ohio State has finished with 3 straight top 5 recruiting classes, people are still complaining. It's annoying.

+3 HS

Yes, but neither of those classes started as slowly as this one has.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+6 HS

I don't think we have honestly had a class start as slow as this one in the last decade. You are justified in your worries.

So what? People were saying that about the '14 class as well.

-1 HS
allinosu's picture

This is going to be a true challenge for our staff. I think it's going to be exciting to watch them shine and put this class together since our overall talent level has raised to top 5. No easy spots to just walk in and take over like PSU.

otrain2416's picture

Funny because while you guys are panicking, I'm excited for the next few months because I know what Urban can do and we're sitting real well with prospects like:

• Torrance Gibson 
  • Justin Hilliard 
  • Damien Harris 
  • Christian Kirk 
  • Jerome Baker 
  • Christian Wilkins 
  • Drew Richmond 
  • Van Jefferson 
  • Lorenzo Nunez 
  • Dre'Mont Jones 
  • James Daniels 
  • Sterling Jenkins 
  • Ricky DeBerry 
  • Larry Scott 
  • Hale Hentges 
  • Brandon Wimbush 
  • Devante Peete 
  • Sh'mar Kilby-Lane 
  • Matthew Burrell 
  • Nick Conner 
  • Patrick Allen
  • Darius Fullwood 
  • Jordan Whitehead Among others
  • While I don't expect us to land every guy on that list, I know this is going to be a fun ride until signing day. 
+1 HS

Nobody is "panicking".. just a little uneasiness.

" I'm a Buckeye "

+3 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

When it happens, it will be like...

+3 HS
bedheadjc's picture

...the Rectification of the Vuldronaii?

+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

+2 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

it's April 28th 2014 not February 2015.  Still plenty of time

+2 HS
Dayton Buckeye's picture

It is not how you start, but how you finish. I have trust in Urban.

gobucks96's picture

Typical Monday thread...

-1 HS
rampageripster's picture

This fan base is bored and spoiled.  That's the only thing wrong right now.

Cause I couldn't go for three

-1 HS
Bamabucknut's picture

My Thoughts:

When has OHIO STATE won their own Big 10 conference ?

When is the last time OHIO STATE won a bowl game ?

How many first  round NFL draft picks in the last few years ?

I think is that some recruits are looking at recent history.....wondering if Urban has lost his mojo.

As for me.I think Urban is a great coach....a coach that can restore the luster to the OSU program...but who for too long ignored the deficiencies of this defensive coaching staff. Last year he reaped the rewards of that  lack of demanding and getting outstanding defensive coaching and play calling.

-4 HS
lippertini's picture

Agreed on all points.

Oakland Buckeye's picture

Once and for all, we need to stop the foolishness of saying that there is any college football team ever in history who could ever beat an NFL team. You just simply show your lack of football knowledge when you insinuate that a college football team could be even the dregs of the NFL. It's just simply silly. The very best college football teams in history will have less than 25% of that roster ever end up on an NFL roster. Look at the number one pics from Alabama the last five years, almost everyone of them is a flop in the NFL.

+2 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

I am concerned about those who are concerned for not being concerned for this recruiting class. we should all be concerned in this Concernation!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+1 HS
sb97's picture

It would be nice if people could use the forum to talk about their concerns rather than just repeatedly saying "I trust Urban".  There is a big difference between saying "I don't like that we seem to lack momentum right now" and saying "OMG the sky is falling". 

The reality is that we are behind where we should be.  I would be willing to bet if someone were able to get a candid interview with Urban Meyer he would say the same thing.  Yes, I realize that Urban Meyer does a great job of closing the class but that doesn't mean the early period is not important.  If you start filling some of your needs early in the process then you can really focus your efforts on the big prizes later in the process. 

+4 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Thank you, that was my whole point in the original post.  I am right in the middle.  I'm not standing at the edge ready to jump, and I'm also not blind enough with scarlet and grey to think that magically a great recruiting class will show up in February because we trust in Urban.  

+2 HS
ChazBuckeye's picture

The staff wants a QB to lead the class.  I'd say a QB's commitment comes by June and all other things start to shape up.  I see some points above by the original post, but still don't understand why this happens every year.  There's nothing to worry about and I'd say the 2012, 2013 and 2014 classes speak for themselves.  Especially the 2012 class that was assembled with less than two months to do it...I'd say it's safe to say chill.

Look at it this way too, I personally think the staff are trying to get 24/7 Bucknuts to go out of business.  No recruiting news=less subscribers. I could be wrong but with a lot of drama caused last year from that site, I can't rule it out either;-)

Sarcasm font just in case we have some mr and mrs literals on here today:-)

Some people think we’re the hunted.I don’t feel that way at all.We’re the hunter.Everybody wants an angry football team.Everybody wants a team on edge and a hungry team.If you’re a hunter,that usually equates to being hungry.

+2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Does anyone here think that Urban already has a few "silent commits" seems to be something he has been good at over the years. Maybe a group of high profile guys want to commit on the same day for drama's sake??? Another question is when will Urban be meeting with the press again and will anyone here at EW, or guys over at Bnuts, CPD or the Dispatch bluntly ask him why we only have 2 commits at this point??? I would love to hear his answer. 

d5k's picture

Pretty sure he can't really answer that question honestly per NCAA rules.

+2 HS
d5k's picture

I'm waiting for the # of basketball commits to surpass the # of football commits for 2015 and then we can speculate on how long that phenomenon will persist.  Go offseason!

+2 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Good thread IMO - people certainly have every right at this time to be wondering about recruiting. It's the off season & recruiting news keeps you interested while there is no football or basketball, so the fact that there is no news means there is no good news...I'm one to never worry about recruiting but without much to read about for OSU sports & at this juncture in the year, I would certainly love to open this site up & see a commitment. As far as reasons for the slow period, I got no clue, but it is different in years past. That said, I trust there will be a pick up eventually. Soon would be good but I suppose all good things to those who wait.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Here we go again same ole shit dog, just a different day. "Dmx voice"

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

-1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I'm pretty sure he is allowed to talk about the recruiting picture as a whole just not allowed to mention any players by name. So if he were asked why is OSU at the bottom of the B1G for the class of 2015 right now he could address that and not have to give a Senator Tressel response to it. I would just like to see if he looks visibly irritated by it or if he cracks that wry smile and gives a "trust me we are just fine" look. I would much rather get a feel for things directly from Urban than some journalist speculating based upon what he or she is supposedly hearing.

Art Harrell's picture

I have patience . I know Urban, will kick ass once again in

the recruiting warrrr. Go Bucks

crusher's picture

I would think anyone that has followed recruiting for the last 10 years knows that Urban always started slow but finished really strong when he was at Florida.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

sb97's picture

Do you mean started slow but finished strong?

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

FSU ALWAYS starts slow...but damn do they close! I gotta feeling that will happen with OSU this year.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

+1 HS