Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

2015 DT Adam McLean commits to Penn State

sivaDavis's picture
April 12, 2014 at 12:07pm
74 Comments

Count another one for Franklin and Penn State... Huge get for them. Thought he was very high, along with Tim Settle, on Ohio State's radar.

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Franklin continues to do a great job speaking to these kids and his energy is infectious. 

BassDropper's picture

Penn State now has the #1 class in the country

DIRECTIONER

+2 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

in April,,,, big wup. the cupboard was practically bare with all the lost schollies,,, he wont sustain it

Knarcisi's picture

So what ... They have a bunch of 3 and 4 stars from MD, PA, and NJ. Nothing new. I'm not about to let James Franklin make me nervous. 

+5 HS
BassDropper's picture

nine 4 stars to only three 3 stars. Don't be mad because we aren't doing much right now.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I'm not mad. We will have a top 5 class when it finishes and will be higher than PSU. Look at scUM's class last year. Sunk like a rock. Just tiring of all the slobbering over Franklin before he actually wins something. 

+5 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

There is a big difference between brady joke and James Franklin.  I don't see him or his recruiting class sinking.  

+5 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

There is a big difference between brady joke and James Franklin.

What? Besides weight.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

Well then you sir are in for a surprise. With the scholarship reductions they will sink quickly. Not because they have bad players, or they aren't living up to expectations, but just as Michigan did last year, the jump up will slow as other teams have the same number of players. 

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Knarcisi I wouldn't hate on PSU. Tip your hat to them and give credit where credit is due. Franklin is doing an outstanding job there and recruiting how PSU should recruit. Hopefully he can coach as good as he can recruit and get them in the top 25 so we have another solid opponent to play yearly. Will Urban most likely jump him? Yes, but don't forget a few of those kids had OSU and Bama offers too.

+3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

I'm not hating on them. Just cleaning up the druel around here. I'll give him credit when he wins the B10. 

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

They have a bunch of 3 and 4 stars from MD, PA, and NJ. Nothing new

They currently have nine 4* commits which is more than they've had in any of their last 4 recruiting classes once they finished and its April. So yes this is something new. No ones drooling, people are impressed with the hot start he has so far and should be. Its nice to see some talent being brought into our conference for a team other than OSU and TSUN. Franklin won't be winning the BIG 10 anytime soon, but he can do us some favors when we beat them by getting national attention and respect for his program while doing well in their OOC games. I agree there's more to being a good coach then recruiting (see Brady Hoke) but don't act like he's not doing a good job right now recruiting because he is. 

blufftonbuck's picture

Will be interesting if he can keep it together when they go 5-7 this year.

Easiest time to recruit is when you have not put a product on the field yet.

+9 HS
MarylandPride's picture

I can't really explain it but Franklin just "grabs" kids.

Even if they have a down season I expect most of the recruits to stay on board.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of his but I do recognize his strengths.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

You are making him seem like a child molester driving the neighborhood ice cream truck. If he wins and does well he will be successful if he loses a shit ton of games kids will jump ship like at any other program. He hasn't won anything at a high level yet so he has something to prove and history shows anytime a new coach goes to one of theold school powers they get a boost in recruiting. Sustaining that depends on development of players and winning on the field and so far he has no rings or titles to flaunt. Hoke was the hottest thing on the recruiting market when he arrived...Now? hahahaa not so much.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

He pulled in the top prospect of any school in the B1G, number 2 player in the nation ,coming off a horrible year...yeah he is pretty bad...lulz

-4 HS

Haha that's  funny now one kid is the  keystone for a successful recruiting class? He also absolutely blew the recruitment of the best DE coming out of high school. If you are going to credit him for Peppers then he has to take the blame for Hand. *chigan started out really strong similar to psu this year then when kids actually seen them on the field needing refs help to beat Akron at home and needing miracle Elwayesque type drives to beat UConn they backed off. If *ichigan would have put a good product on the field they would have finished with a top 3 class. Talking only gets you so far eventually you have to back it up for the eyeballs to see. *ichigans best win last year was losing to tOSU 42-41...Go sell that to a group of the most competitive 17 year olds out there and see how they bite.

-2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Nick Saban will get whoever Nick Saban wants 90% of the time. I was one of the few UM fans who said after he postponed his announcement that he was going to Bama. Not too surprising. 

I would just like to point out that too this date a coach who barely has a .500 record, with no BCS conference championships, or national championships is keeping up with your coach that has double the NC and how many SEC titles and BCS bowl victories? 

That is not a fluke, Hoke can recruit with the best of them. Saying anything otherwise is ignorance. 

-4 HS

But he isn't keeping up and it isn't even close...Are you are another *ichigan fan who thinks your biggest accomplishment was losing by 1 point to tOSU. I cant argue with your type of folks logic because it isn't reasonable. 24-2 vs  26-13? I wont argue with stupid.We all hope Hoke stays around forever.

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

The greatest form of flattery is imitation...thank you :) and I would say a coach without any significant accomplishments that has pulled top ten classes every year is more than keeping up. In fact there is a list of head to head recruiting battles on scout that shows hoke out duels urban more often when going after the same recruits. Some thay come to mind include...Shaun crawford, peppers, Kalis, dymonte thomas, derrick green, almost all our OL class in '13 etc. Thanks for playing though,, try again next time.

I will no longer respond to any of your posts, there is a difference in being a fan and being an absolute scarlet glasses wearing lunatic. Your own site members down vote you more than they up vote you, that says something.

-6 HS
Adam21's picture

So the Glenville trio, Damon Webb, Kyle Berger, Gareon Conley, Jayme Thompson, Bri'onte Dunn, and Armani Reeves don't count? And, I'm sure I am missing a lot of names too.

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

I didnt say that urban hasnt won some of the battles...up til now hoke has just won more of them. I will try to relocate the story and post it. It is patrolled though, im not sure if that is allowed in this forum or not.

-5 HS
Adam21's picture

You don't have to show the article. Just say names each coach has won. Would love to see it, especially if names like Derrick Green appear on there...

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Marcelys and Thompson never received offers from UM...

These are all the Scholarship players offered by both schools since Urban Meyer has been at Ohio State...

Hoke over Urban

Kyle Kalis, Joe Bolden, Ondre Pipkins, Chris Wormley, James Ross, Tom Strobel, Derrick Green, David Dawson, Dymonte Thomas, Patrick Kugler, Logan Tulley-Tillman, Mike McCray, Chris Fox, Kyle Bosch, Henry Poggi, Ben Gedeon, Deveon Smith, Wyatt Shallman, Maurice Hurst Jr., Jabrill Peppers, Drake Harris, Lawrence Marshall, Michael Ferns, Mason Cole, Ian Bunting, Chase Winovich, Shaun Crawford(2015), Garrett Taylor(2015)

28 H2H Wins

Urban over Hoke

Noah Spence, Adolphus Washington, Se'Von Pittmann, Tommy Schutt, Brionte Dunn, Cameron Williams, De'Van Bogard, Armani Reeves, Eli Apple, Gaereon Conley, Joey Bosa, Cam Burrows, Michael Hill, Billy Price, Marshon Lattimore, Damon Webb, JaMarco Jones, Dante Booker, Demetrious Knox, Eric Smith, Kyle Berger, San Hubbard, (No 2015 for OSU vs. UM yet)

22 H2H Wins

I would say Hoke is holding his own on the recruiting trail against a rival head coach with multiple national championships, multiple conference championships, multiple BCS wins, and multiple NFL draft picks. 

Am I saying that Urban is not one of the best recruiters in college football, no way...that would be idiocy. However, people who say "Hoke can't recruit with Urban," that is just not true. 

-1 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

bias much?

Kalis was essentally gone before Urbz was on board -Fickell lost that tbattle, Green was dropped by tOSU & we stopped recruiting him long before his commit to  scum (wise choice) McCray didnt get an offer until a bunch of other prospects were off the board - clearly a bridesmaid - and after he was already #ichigans, 2015 is bs since no one is binding right now. Most of these "losses" were nothing more than paper losses - many were not commitable. There were a handfull of true losses. But to make your point - Choke is in the ball park & has won SOME head to head battles, not nearly what you are attempting to report.

Class of 2014: Harris, Cole, Bunting, Marshall, Ferns, Winovich, Peppers, (I believe all were commitable except Cole...)

2013: Thomas, Smith, Dawson, Tillman, Shallman, Poggi, Hurst,

2012? seriously? he was the coach for 3 months before signing day - not a good sample since Hoke had already been in place a couple of seasons.

Our wins in 2013: Bosa, Hill, Burrows, Apple, & took Conley away from scum.

2014: we win 9-7 with Hubbard, Smith, Lattimore, Webb, Berger, Booker, Jones, Knox, Hooker... Plus Hoke did not even recruit Butkus winner Raekwon...

A more accurate account would be 14-13 tOSU, since the 2012 sCum class was almost completely wrapped up before Urbz was even the coach. 

+3 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Hey man I just copied it straight from the article lol. Dont shoot the messenger.

-2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Ha give me the players Urban has gotten over Jabba the Hoke everyday of the week and twice on Saturdays. The only player I think I would be jealous of is Jabril Peppers and I'm not because he hasn't played one snap of real college football but he's going to be the savior for Michigan right... Recruiting is the game, developing is the hard part. *See Derrick Green, Tom Strobel, every offensive lineman recruit you've gotten.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

-1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

You wanna know what really matters? Meyer is beating Hoke 2-0 in H2H games.

LEBRON

+3 HS
jonping67's picture

1. Kalis grew up a fan of TTUN

2. Crawford is not a signed commit and could change (We will pass given his small frame 5'-8")

3. OSU could have had Green, but want Elliot - Let's see who made the right choice 4 years from now.

Why are you even on the blog? TROLL!

+1 HS

Hah it isn't our own members it its you and that girl bassdropper with his 3 accounts. Of course you are not going to respond to logic that is the *ichigan way. Who gives a shit if Hoke won a couple of recruiting battles if the man cant back it up on the actual  field of play? You? your cornies? Bassdropper? Urban won way more battles on and off the field and if you think different you are a drooling lunatic kid. I get down voted from Bassdropper and his multiple accounts he made ,and the staff is about to clean that up shortly.

teddyballgame's picture

Nick Saban will get whoever Nick Saban wants 90% of the time.

Meet the Bag Man: How to buy college football players

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

That is a crazy story. It absolutely happens everywhere, just more so in the south and other SEC influenced schools...hopefully...

buckskin's picture

Too bad he can't develop them.  But keep up your tremendous support of Choke, because I want him around longer than we got to beat on RichRod.  I miss the days of The Game being over in the 1st quarter.

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Actually I am in the camp of Hoke needing to go, but it is not for his recruiting "problems." If he turns it around after this year I will eat my words, but he was a stopgap hire when he got here and he is still that to this day. I like Brady, and I think he is a genuinely good person, but he is not the right man for the University. I hope they find a new coach at seasons end when they finish what I project to be a 7-6 season.

-1 HS
jonping67's picture

Really, you're going to hang your hat on one recruit? What a flippen joke you are TheTeam16. Long live Brady Joke because he is a horrible coach and he won't win anything in the B1G. The funny thing is your new head coach has already been hired, but is currently your newly hired offensive coordinator. LMAO

-1 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

I hate to be the one that says it (oh who am I kidding no I don't), but i mean child molester's have been known to coach in Happy Valley before...

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

HilltopHustle's picture

"Grabs" kids? You, sir, need to grow up.

teddyballgame's picture

I'm guilty of having a giggle.

+1 HS
MarylandPride's picture

Ok. Perhaps I should have used a different word.

That was unintentional.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

A Penn State coach is just "grabbing kids" ...
http://instantostrich.com/

teddyballgame's picture

Now if Franklin and his staff can actually coach and develop the talent...they might actually be good....in 3 years or so.

Also, we'll have to see how many of these recruits stick with PSU.  They probably won't look too hot after the season starts.

+5 HS
ginntroy's picture

reminds me of michigan last year great classes in april dont mean great classes on signing day but it is a good start though

+5 HS
mtrotb's picture

Proverbial dead cat bounce.  Flavor of the month.  Is it sustainable long term?

mtrotb

+5 HS
MarylandPride's picture

Yeah, I think it is sustainable...unfortunately.

Franklin's just very charismatic.

+5 HS

Only thing that will matter is wins/losses...He has his hands full replacing 4 OL  starters with zero depth.

-2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

ill wait until football gets played before i get excited about Penn State and Franklin. They could have a good year but if its awful, I find it hard to believe Franklin keeps all of his early commits. Also, people need to realise, Franklin can do what Ole Miss did a couple of years ago, offer these guys immediate playing time. If you tell a kid that he will probably start from day 1, it'd be hard for him to want to look anywhere else. Hope we go into Happy Valley and embarrass them more so than other years in the past. 

+3 HS
kmp10's picture

Nine 4 star commitments is a big deal… in April or any other month. I believe Ohio State signed 14 or 15 (???) four star kids last year, so Franklin is essentially 2/3 of the way to that number this year… and it's only April. Everyone saying Franklin and PSU are the 'flavors of the month' or that it's easy to recruit in the off season when your product isn't available for all to see are missing the point IMO. Franklin brazenly stated upon his hiring that he would have the fiercest recruiting machine in the country (or something along those lines) and he is making good on those brash words early on in the process. If you think Urban Meyer isn't taking notice of this or isn't bothered by Franklin's strong showing then I'd say you're wrong. Ohio State is not showing well RIGHT NOW in the 2015 recruiting derby. However, many of the usual suspects are; Alabama, Texas A&M, Tennessee… and PSU. Yes, it's "early", but you don't want to let PSU get too far ahead of you and build momentum that could be insurmountable in 6 months. It's like a football game; first it's 7-0, then 10-0, then 17-0 at half and everybody is saying "it's ok. It's still early". Well, early can turn into late in the blink of an eye so I'd like to see the Buckeyes get into the game sooner rather than later. I believe Urban Meyer is the best recruiter in the country and he has a top three brand to sell in Ohio State. I also believe he'll not only catch Franklin/PSU, but will pass them up by February of '15… but those who are diminishing Franklin's achievements because it's early or for any other reason need to give credit where credit is due, and admire the fact that someone other than Meyer (and Hoke) is bringing elite talent to the B1G

+2 HS
labuck's picture

My only question is...how many more people can they take?

DeuceOSU78's picture

Maybe Franklin brought his "Bag Men" from the SEC.

DeuceOSU78

-3 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

I think so, Penn St. must be spending that money like Ole' Miss a few years back.

They didn't care for that 63-14 butt whopping last year. That will open some wallets and create some bagmen.

"The Past Builds the Future"

-1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Wow. Hats off to Franklin, but as we all know its not how you start...but how you finish.

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

My girl always loves how I start and hates how I finish. Because it's usually before her. But why waste my time right!?

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Agreed...and that's a philosophy that holds true even when you're married.

(Wife saying something to me right now...as I nod and smile)

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+2 HS
Eph97's picture

I am impressed by Franklin as a recruiter. No bowl game, scholarship restrictions, probably going to lose big the next 2 seasons, and still getting kids to sign on is no small feat.

However, I trust in Meyer and expect the usual top 3 class when it's all said and done. Also, will these recruits stick with Franklin if PSU has a horrible year, like most expect?

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

I'm not so sure about that. He competed in the best conference in the nation with a lot less talent...PSU will be above .500 as long as he is there I think. He is a great coach.

rampageripster's picture

Penn State is finally recruiting how Penn State should be recruiting.  They are by far the biggest program in the the MD/PA/NY/NJ area and they should be raking in that talent.  Honestly, I would think Franklin was a crummy recruiter if he wasn't making a big splash.

Cause I couldn't go for three

+2 HS
sivaDavis's picture

I'll give credit where credit is due. Franklin is recruiting his tail off. But it's still all about development and playing the game. We'll see how the 2014 year goes and we should go from there. He did pretty well at Vandy and I believe he could do the same at PSU. Gonna be a little tougher with depth issues I think. Truly don't think a 9 win season is too far out of reach for PSU. As for the recruits. Good for them, they are listening to Franklin and his message. As for our recruiting? It's slow but I doubted this past class and I had to take a couple laps for doing so. We have a great product on the field now and I don't see that trend stopping for a while.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Absolutely give credit where it's due.  Franklin has just made Urban's job just that much tougher.  My guess is Urban is up to the task.  I am looking forward to some good games with PSU going forward, although I'll be happy with more like last year's as well.

+1 HS
bucks15's picture

Penn State has a lot of energy right now and good for them and the B1G, but as long as Urban Meyer is at the helm recruiting is not going to be an issue.  

If TSUN has taught us anything, recruiting championships aren't won in April.  Our play will speak for itself come late August when it really matters, let see who the top recruits are paying attention too then.      

+3 HS

You nailed it Bucks15 and whoever DVed you for that post is a big egged faced pussy. Must be a massengil shortage at the local walmart.

WhySoSerious's picture

It's the name on the jerseys lol.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

tiph88n's picture

Shouldn't we be happier about this?  All I read on these forums is how the B1G needs to do a better job recruiting, and when they do, we shrug it off or get pissed!?  McLean was one of our targets so it stings, but in the long run it's good for the B1G.  Don't worry unless this becomes a pattern year after year; and I do not see that happening.  GO BUCKS!

Pain is temporary...pride is forever!

+2 HS

That's just the thing. Everyone was clamoring for *ichigan getting good recruits a year ago saying how good it was for our conference,then all of a sudden we win a game by 1 point and maybe a few of those people realize that a couple star players here or there could have made a difference. Im in the club that will never root for *m,MSU,or PSU to get good recruits because  one of them could  be the difference between a win or a loss against us. I do root for the bottom feeders to win out on recruits against teams that are irrelevant to us.MSU proved to us on a neutral field that stars really do not matter as much as most of us think.

TheTeam16's picture

Have fun eternally competing in a sub par conference then, with a terrible SOS. 

I want OSU and MSU to pull the best talent they can get year in and year out. This conference needs it, along with better coaching. These are the only things that will bring us back to being a national player as a conference again.

+1 HS

Strength of schedule basically means nothing now with a 4 team playoff. Maybe last year if 3 teams went undefeated it would have came into play but didn't. That argument is over now because  the B1G conference champ should be in the playoff 9 out of 10 times and have a shot to prove themselves.

-1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Fishy to me!!!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

-1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I hope all the big ten teams recruit very well, except for that scum team up north of ohio. I hate that scum team and the hokey jokey coach they have. May they lose every game in every sport they play. Meatchicken sucked yesterday and they will suck more tomorrow.

+1 HS
rightfield's picture

Lets see how long Franklin can swim upstream. He will have a lot of current going against him for a least 2-3 more years. The limited schollies  will really show themselves the next few years. If the Buckeyes put 64 on them this year, this season and next will be even tougher for PSU to look competent against us. If they have a .500 record this year I will be impressed.

Its good to be the king

+1 HS
cdkmike's picture

damn are recruiting sucks right now we need some juice

Michael green

buckeyestu's picture

It is easy to recruit when you can promise kids playing time right away. Just about every one that is being recruited by TOSU, is more than likely looking at riding the bench as a freshman, especially with the way Urban has upgraded the talent. Hopefully Kwon, Dixon ,Samuel, Jones, Smith, Lattimore, and a few others see some playing time this year. That may help with recruiting later in the year, especially with a lot of Urbans' targets planning to commit later in the recruiting process. Oh and I am sure this is a valid argument:  why commit to a lesser program ( Kentucky, or Penn State, etc, etc, etc, who is still under heavy sanctions), when you can play for the greatest university and imo the best head coach in the college football game?  Well some kids want to play period and do not want to wait until they are juniors or seniors. I can see that point. I will not be on the ledge at all this year in regards to recruiting. Urban will get a very good class.

-1 HS
Buckeye06's picture

I'm not really going to be concerned with recruiting as long as Meyer is the head coach.  Find me a year that he was HC of UF or OSU, not in his absolute first year, where he didn't end with a top 5 class.  You can't.

As long as he is HC at OSU, they will have the talent to win titles

Rivals rankings:

UF: 2, 1, 3, 11 (16 commits and highest average star ranking), 2

OSU: 4, 2, 3

osubuck57's picture

Very happy that Franklin is recruiting like he is. Just makes the conference stronger as a whole. Good for them and the Big Ten. Stronger conference play will help get us battle tested earlier.

SCOTTC.

+2 HS

Seriously? The strong conference shit is for the birds now. A one loss B1G champ carries more weight then a one loss sec runner up. A two loss B1G champ should very well be ahead of a 1 loss sec team that didn't even win their own division or make the conference championship game. Shit is about to change this year and espin is going to show us a bunch of new graphs and stuff to show America just how great the sec is. End game is it wont matter how hard they clamor for 3 sec teams in the playoff because they are going to give credit where credit is due and that is to the teams that play in a conference championship game and win(Major 5).So it is going to suck to be Texas or Oklahoma or Baylor or Okst.or Notre Dame.

+1 HS