Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Joe Burrow

buckeyebowhunter's picture
April 3, 2014 at 9:44pm
60 Comments

Joe Burrow, Dual Threat QB from Athens, OH is seeing his offer list grow.  He now has offers from the likes of Maryland, NC State, Boston College, Fresno State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, most MAC schools and now Virginia Tech.  Any chance he gets a hard look?  Kid's numbers are pretty amazing.  He completed 71% of his passes for over 3700 yards last season with 47 TD's against 7 Int's.  He also added about 600 yards rushing.  In the past two seasons he's thrown for over 7000 yards and 94 TD's.  

WhySoSerious's picture

Damn. What's the comp like?

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS

Solid, not elite.  Division 3 mostly.  Played some good teams in the playoffs and it didn't slow him down.  They lost to Marion Franklin in the Regional Finals.  

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Buckeyes have just recently been in contact, Tom Herman reached out this week. I'll try and have a story soon.

Deadly Nuts's picture

I'm still trying to figure out why this site is free.

LEBRON

+4 HS

Feel free to donate to the site, I am sure there's a link around here somewhere.

Go1Bucks's picture

I have some crackers and stale marshmallows you can have, along with some Two Buck Chuck.

Go Bucks!

Seattle Linga's picture

I got some fish pie 

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Oh Boy, just like mama made it!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
Calgarybuck's picture

I've never found one but would love to! I know you guys don't ask or request or push it and I respect you guys for that but I believe a small link is in order for us to help the cause a lil....Can u add one to this convo please?

Citrus's picture

Here are his highlights.http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1520086/highlights/107751379

I am no expert but looks good to me. Who is number 16? WR has some serious speed.

+1 HS

I watched Athens just once this year, when they beat Tri-Valley in the regional semis.  I thought he was the best high school QB I had seen for quite a while and I never miss a friday.  Word is that Michigan State could offer soon.  It would be a real shame to lose a kid of this caliber in our own back yard.  The nice thing about Burrow is that he is a polished passer.  He's not an athlete learning to play QB.  The only reason in my opinion it has taken him so long to "blow up" nationally is that he is from SE Ohio where very few national program coaches recruit.  

+2 HS
toad1204's picture

Doesn't Sparty already have a QB commit?

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

Yea, Jayru Campbell who body slammed a school guard and is up on felony charges. I think he is in court today.

BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

Finally an interesting post with useful info!! Thanks bow this is something to keep an eye on! I'd up vote but my balls still haven't dropped yet!! Lol

+5 HS

I upvoted you to help the balls along!  lol

Turtlebuster's picture

Wiltfong tweeted that Burrow will be visiting OSU this weekend...

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

The last QB I remember coming out of southeast Ohio, was Derek Roback.  He went to D4 Waverly, and Notre Dame took him.  He left there and went to OU------then disappeared.  It's a crap shoot, competition wise.  You never know.

BuckeyeJ's picture

I was actually shocked when ND took him. Never understood it because he was really not that dominant of a player.

skid21's picture

I think he converted to TE at OU for a year and then quit the team. Probably back in Pike County.

Mercurius's picture
+3 HS

Yes that is correct, so you know he knows the game.

skid21's picture

Sorry, fat finger DV from me. Changed it.

otrain2416's picture

I hope the staff does a good job evaluating this one and doesn't let a solid QB from our backyard slip away.

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Another Maty Mauk type of situation?

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Exactly. I believe Mauk was in Cardale Jones's class who we had semi gray shorted and told him to go play a post grad year at fork union. I still think you don't let a kid like that leave the state. He was All-Freshman SEC I believe last year.

+1 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

I NEVER understood letting Mauk leave Ohio without a offer.

That one one has totally blown my mind.

Somebody needs tgo explain that although this isn't the almighty south florida, or even D1 Ohio HS...

There are some GREAT atheletes in some of the smaller divisions in Ohio.

Mauk has the accuracy, mobility with a superb understanding of the game and quick release to avoid a pass rush and maximize all the WR talent.

Can he run the read-option like Braxton...NO But I don't think Collier can either.

Unfortunately I don't feel Joey Burrow is in the same talent as Mauk was.jmho

But he is definitely a great talent. Lets see what happens this summer. Would love to see a Ohio kid have his dream come true.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+2 HS

He's bigger than Mauk, but yes similar styles.  I agree with the above posters you don't let this kid get away.  Offer him this weekend, hopefully get a commitment.  Then you have a really good QB in this class regardless.  Still go after Gibson, because he is an incredible talent.  I still don't believe TG is a QB though.  This way you could bring both of them in, let the cards plays out and redshirt one of them.  Then you'd have 5 QB's on the roster for 15-16, you wouldn't have to sign one in the next class unless they were elite and wait for Danny Clark in 2017.  Makes complete sense to me.  

+2 HS
bergy22's picture

100% with you. Let TG have the opportunity to play QB right off the bat and say hey if you want to play right away as FR/SO and don't want to RS, move to wideout where he could be dynamic right off the bat just like Reuben Randle and Shepard at LSU who came in as ATH playing QB.

Im glad Urban is casting a wide net for QB in this class, really stinks we let Kyle Allen get away last year by slow playing for too long. Think he is taking a different approach this year by offering more QBs, letting them know we are interested but mainly focused on TG.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Stats are very impressive - he's a game changer

+2 HS
The Rill Dill's picture
+2 HS
niblick's picture

This site is so lucky to have so many people that know more about recruiting than Meyer.

-4 HS
mh277907's picture

What exactly are you referring to?

buckeyebobcat

niblick's picture

This site is so lucky to have so many people that know more about recruiting than Meyer.

-5 HS
Goose's picture

Saw Burrow play twice against my son's team and twice in the playoffs the last couple years and while I think he's a great player, I don't think he's OSU caliber athletically.  He racks up stats against poor teams in SE Ohio and it is hard to tell how good he really is because of the competition level.  He is a very polished passer.  I'm just not sure he's athletic enough for that level.  He HAS played well in the playoffs against better competition, which makes me hedge my opinion a bit, but I see him as more of a lower echelon B1G player or an upper level MAC player.

I just don't think he compares athletically to someone Like Travon Pendeleton from Portsmouth West who is playing for Mich St.  I also thought that the QB from Logan about 5 years ago, Pat Angle, that ended up going to Youngstown St. was a better player.

Hope I'm wrong as I always like to see SE Ohio kids succeed, but I don't think he fits what Meyer is looking for in a QB.

BuckeyeJ's picture

I agree. Think he will end up at OU or WVU. Unless he would have a really good camp, don't see him getting an offer. From what I have been reading the staff likes Stevens better. 

BuckeyeJ, I respectfully disagree, he may not get an offer from OSU, but I believe Virginia Tech, Maryland, or Cincinnati are more likely landing spots than WV or OU.  

BuckeyeJ's picture

You are def on point. Bucknuts said bama was in to see him yesterday and took a film back to satan

looks like we will look at him closer as well

Ahh Saturday's picture

With recent visits from both the Buckeyes and Alabama, it seemed reasonable to resuscitate this thread.  Anyone know if Burrow is a Buckeye fan?  Is he the kind of Ohio kid who would jump at a Buckeye offer?  And Birm, if you're out there lurking, where does Burrow fit in with the California kids Waller and Jones?  Who gets an offer first Burrows or Tommy Stevens?

+1 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

He isn't really a fan. His dad played at Nebraska and one of the first schools this kid visited was Nebraska. We basically said thanks but no thanks to him. Never even ofered the legacy kid. 

Ohio State can do better than this kid. Someone already mentioned he isn't all that athletic. 

CincyBuckeye31's picture

His highlights are pretty impressive regardless of competition.  He is good at escaping from a collapsing pocket and seems to have good mechanics as a passer.  Get him in for a camp!

BuckeyeJ's picture

Love the block he gives at the 1min mark!!! 

skid21's picture

I really like his highlights. Regardless of the competition he can get the ball to the receiver. He is calm in the pocket and has some elusiveness. I'd love to have him be a Buckeye.

buckeyejma's picture

There are  a lot of diamonds in the ruff just waiting to be discovered, in the film he looked pretty good and he deserves a look at,  to see what he's made of. Mr. Burrows  Good Luck wherever you may end up playing your college ball.

Step aside Nick, Urban is the real rock star!

I feel like this is a player to watch very closely moving forward.

Ahh Saturday's picture

With the rumors about a Waller offer and your recent Crystal Ball pick of Burrow to the Buckeyes, it sounds like something big is brewing on the QB front.  Are you planning a more extensive post regarding the QB situation soon?

+2 HS
ColdBuckeye's picture

Joe Buckeye!! Awesome addition!! Today is a good day for tOSU football program

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

You got some insider info?

buckeyebobcat

ColdBuckeye's picture

Just the cold facts. O-H!

edr4225's picture

he is  a buckeye 

lets go bucks!!

+2 HS
Gray Box's picture

Joey just committed and he's is already at work on other recruits:

otrain2416's picture

FWIW saw 247 dropped him down from a 90 to an 88 ranking

TheBadOwl's picture

He still has multiple camps, plus his entire senior season, until he gets on campus. And then, he'll be a freshman competing against a fourth-year player (Jones) and a third-year player (Barrett) for a starting job that, in all likelihood, he will not win (going against people who have been in the program for >3 years = not a good shot at winning that job, even if he enrolls early).

By all accounts, he has the intangibles and work ethic to succeed, plus the raw athleticism. No reason to worry about him dropping from a 4* to a 3* when he hasn't even played his senior year of high school yet.

As if being a 3* is a kiss-of-death anyways. I've seen so many posts on here saying "OH WELL AJ HAWK AND MALCOLM JENKINS WERE THREE-STARS I LOVE LOWLY-RANKED OHIO KIDS," so why freak out about this at all?

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Murph32's picture

I think we need to thank Mr. Burrow for all this momentum. 

+3 HS
chubby's picture

Take this with a grain of salt and not sure if there is ANY TRUTH to it at all, but I heard through some Summer League kids that Burrow's WRs are transferring to Pickerington Central or some other school in Pickerington I believe?  Then I heard he may not even play his Senior year?  Sounds crazy, but that is just some crazy rumor I just heard this morning from a guy who's kid plays summer baseball and knows Joe.  Again not sure how true this is, just reporting a rumor.  The guy told me Burrow's Receiver was transfering, I told him it must be BOTH because they are twin brothers.  The Leuhrmans, they both have offers to Toledo, not sure if as DEs, TEs, or WRs?  Again just a rumor but found it interesting enough to share.  Anyone hear of a Pickerington school getting twin brothers transfering in?  Personally I hope there is zero truth because Athens is like 30 minutes from my home and they play my old highschool and I wanted to watch Joe play this year, again don't shoot the messeger was just wondering if anyone else heard this rumor?

OSU069's picture

I don't get why he would not play though?????

+1 HS
chubby's picture

I don't get it either to be honest?  That is why I made sure to say take it with a grain of salt, it is a wierd rumor.  Was curious if anyone has heard anythign at at all.  I figure it is just a dumb rumor, I am excited to see him play this year so I was bummed when I heard it at first.

rick's picture

Chubby, The rumor mill got this one all twisted up. It should have sounded something along these lines. That Joe is not going to play basketball this season because his good friend and Athens best basketball player, Ibi Watson, who holds several mid major offers transferred to Pickerington Central.

Dips's picture

A wild almost month old post appears