Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Whats going on with recruiting?

BassDropper's picture
April 3, 2014 at 2:04pm
85 Comments

We are 5th in the B1G in recruiting. Penn State (2), Nebraska (15), Iowa (21), Michigan (24), Ohio State (30). I know it is extremely early, but thats not stopping Penn State and other powerhouse programs from scooping up all the good players.

We can't seem to find a QB. It seems like Wimbush really wanted to be a Buckeye, but now that we slow played him for Gibson (who is becoming less likely to be a Buckeye), we really have nowhere to go. It seems to me the staff is putting all of its eggs in one basket, and if TG decides on another school after his season is over we could be in big trouble. 

So what gives??? When are we going to get #4? Will we have time to find an elite QB if TG decides to go somewhere else? 

I'm just ready for football *sigh*

B1G 10 Buckeye Stuck in SEC Country's picture

BANG!!!!  Now someone shoot me!!!

" Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne 

-1 HS
B1G 10 Buckeye Stuck in SEC Country's picture

AHHHHHHHH!!!! Bielmas Double Chin is back from the dead!!!

" Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne 

BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

Your aim wasn't very good!! I'm paralyzed now and just have to lay here and read worthless posts about worthless mindless shit!! Lol..but thank you anyways!! 

tennbuckeye19's picture

I know it is extremely early, but thats not stopping Penn State and other powerhouse programs from scooping up all the good players.

There's no more good players left? Man, maybe OSU should just give up...

+23 HS
BassDropper's picture

probably best...

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
Devin1024's picture

You mad, Bro...?

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

LOL, idk whats so different between mine and Tenn's post, we were both being sarcastic, but i get all the down votes...y'all mad or something hahahaa

DIRECTIONER

-11 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Story of my life.

Our Honor Defend!

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

What's the first rule of fight club BD?

+4 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Well if you do know the first rule then you shouldn't be talking about it either way...right?

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KBonay's picture

if you're gonna be sarcastic......

+1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

It's fucking April. God damn. We're in on tons of kids that are going to sign late. When are people going to realize this?

This time last year we only had 5 IIRC.

Jones, Webb, Trout, Campbell, Thompson.

+19 HS
otrain2416's picture

Chillax bro it's April. To put in perspective how early it is scUM hasn't even claimed their annual May recruiting trophy yet. Trust in Urban.

+4 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

To bassdropper's point though, going full on after Gibson is great and all, if it gets Gibson to Columbus. But if this is another DeShaun Watson, and OSU wastes all their time and energy on him while neglecting all the other prospects who are probably more likely to commit to OSU, then I think it's a mistake. 

Gibson did tweet yesterday that OSU would be one of his official visits, but who knows...

+14 HS
BassDropper's picture

upvote for you sir for not be as clueless as the others.

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS
SilverState's picture

Is the possibility of putting too many eggs in one basket a concern of mine? It is actually. 

But this concern can be expressed in a way that is much more likely to be favorably received. If you're sick of downvotes, research this a little.

You often have good points. Their presentation is what's getting you the negative feedback.

Squirrel Master's picture

but what you all are forgetting is last year OSU didn't even offer anyone other than Deshaun until late in the summer and he enforced his commitment. It was the lack of offers that caused what happened, and yet we still got Stephen who I think is a very underrated talent.

This year is totally different and there are multiple offers already out to many QBs. Just because we all believe its Gibson or bust, doesn't mean the staff isn't working other options in the meantime.

I think people need to forget about what happened last year. Its not the same situation!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+17 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Two completely different situations.  Watson chose Clemson and was committed for a long while, and OSU continued to pursue.  If we want Gibson, we have to make it seem we want him.  If that means slow playing other 4* quality guys, then that is what the staff will do. 

It's been 3 recruiting classes with Urban....3 top 5 classes.  When, if ever, will people stop doubting Meyer's ability to recruit.  If you want to bitch about him in game, which i do often, then go for it.  He is potentially the best recruiter in the country (we've had less scholarships recently and still have top 3 classes)

+3 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Some folks are wound too tight and freak out at the slightest things.

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

I know it is extremely early, but thats not stopping Penn State and other powerhouse programs from scooping up all the good players.

Keep in mind I made this statement above. I know that "It's fucking April" but once again...that's not stopping the Alabama's, Penn State's, A&M's of the world. 70% of the top 10 right now will most likely be in the top 10 in Feb 2015. When I say "what's going on with recruiting" I mean is it intentional to slow play recruits and hold out for a certain player? We have been getting beat head up for a lot of recruits recently, and TG seems likely to stay south. The world is ending.

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS
route4buckeye's picture

50 upvotes says we have a top 5 class.

+15 HS
BassDropper's picture

I'm holding you to that lol. Although, I think we finish in the top 5, maybe even top 3 again. I didn't say we wouldn't finish where we normally do, just wanting answers to why Urban and co. like to slow play recruits. Do they wait until FNL to start accepting commits or what?

DIRECTIONER

-5 HS
route4buckeye's picture

like i said before, we're in on a lot of late deciders.

hit_the_couch's picture

Is this a serious forum topic? I know I just woke up but maybe i'm still groggy. Signing day was just 6 weeks ago or so. tOSU is doing about the same as normal at this time.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+6 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

No. It's just Bass Dropper being Bass Dropper.

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture
He's a big fan of Manny Ramirez...

+3 HS
stevebelliseeya's picture

Required reading for 11W in the off season. I'm pretty sure this is the same topic that is brought up every year due to lack of content.

"We are eternal. All this pain is an illusion." - Tool

+10 HS
JLBNYC's picture

Urban will get his; its way early.  Someone really smart (Jeremy) said the following the other day, which i think says it all:

"Now, here's the real "concept" I want you to take away from this: Ohio State is not recruiting against Penn State. Ohio State is recruiting against Alabama and Florida State. Penn State is making a lot of noise right now, but these things have a way of leveling off (See: Michigan, University of, 2012-2013.) I know I've said it before, but I feel at this point it's imperative to reiterate: trust Urban Meyer, and trust his staff. Follow the plan."

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football-recruiting/2014/04/347...

+6 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

I feel like it wasnt that long ago when one of the staff members made there "way too early look at 2015" predictions and everyone was going ape-shit over how awesome the class would be if the predictions came true. I made a point of posting that everyone needed to temper their enthusiasm because nearly every guy on the list had come out to say they were waiting to commit until after their senior seasons. I also wondered when we would see the first Chicken Little post for the year... and now we have it! I at least thought we would make it to May. Silly me, I should have know better.

If you're freaking out now, here's a little advice: Buckle up buddy, because if you're panicking now it could get a whole lot worse before it gets better, and I dont want you sitting in a bathroom somewhere Gomer Pile stile waiting to go Full Metal Jacket on the first person who mentions Buckeye recruiting. In my mind I can only see 5 commits or so before summer. Maybe 8-9 by the end of July. If the sky is falling now, it'll be Armageddon by then. Just relax and realize all will be well by the time NSD rolls around.

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

As you have stated, it is your ambition to be a great internet troll. So before I weigh in, are you just trying to rile up the fan base or are you really concerned with Urban Meyer's recruiting nearly a year from NSD?

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS

The last time I saw BassDropper he put a curse on me and pushed my boat backwards down a waterfall on the Norway ride at Epcot...

+8 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

The Maelstrom is the most underrated ride at Disney World. Top Tier ride.

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

MichiganBuckeye222's picture

can I upvote you 15 times?

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+2 HS

I'm glad somebody gets it

+1 HS
Damonbuckeye's picture

Urban said something very interesting a couple of months ago.. He said that even though the last few recruiting classes were ranked really high the coaching staff missed on the evaluations of some recruits. So my belief is that the staff is being very judicial in who they give commitable offers to and who has to wait to be futher evaluated. Another thing is I believe simply that the coaching staff is not exepting commits from anybody until the coaching staff can sit down and come to some kind of consenses on players they've offered and if they are worthy of a scholly.

+3 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Urban closes better than just about anybody in the biz.

Squirrel Master's picture

as I already said above, this is not the same situation as last year. Deshaun was the only QB offered until well after this time last year. After he solidified his commitment, OSU started to offer others then. So far this year I believe there is at least 5 offers to QBs.

and I think everyone is confusing the lack of commits with a lack of trying. I don't know what the amount of offers are out there for all 2015 players but I'm certain there are more than enough and I'm certain the coaching staff is trying.

again, we need to forget what went down last year. Especially when OSU still finished with a top 5 class anyways, and a pretty decent QB prospect in Collier.

and its still early...

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

We can't seem to find a QB. It seems like Wimbush really wanted to be a Buckeye, but now that we slow played him for Gibson (who is becoming less likely to be a Buckeye), we really have nowhere to go.

So Gibson and Wimbush are the only QBs in the 2015 class?

I also forgot that Craig Krenzel was a 5* recruit and Troy Smith was the most coveted QB in the 2002 class...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

We will get solid and highly rated players to fill out our available scholarships no matter what. The Gibson situation though is one we all might want to keep a close eye on. Everyone knows last year we went all out for Deshaun Watson and lost out to Clemson. We also lost out on our 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th choices at the QB position. Looks like the staff views Gibson in the same light as Watson this year. If we lose out on Gibson "a recruit firmly embedded in southern football ideology" then it will be the second year in a row that we are scrambling, and possibly missing out on Brandon WImbush who seems to want to play for a B1G powerhouse oh and might be a better passer at this point(some fans seem to be in love with this attribute). While I honestly think even with a small class we will finish in the top 10, a major commit from a top 3 QB can help draw in recruits that would otherwise not even be in play. Another thing is the slow playing of top in state talent. While I trust the staff and their evaluation process the recruiting game has taken a swing more towards who invited you to the dance first. I feel like top National talent located here within state should be offered before out of state talent. A ton of top kids stay close to home and one of the reasons is the home state school offered before the UCLAs,Bamas,and LSUs of the World. If we would have finished the season on a high note maybe we could have that type of confidence but we lost our last 2 games and ended things as a train wreck compared to how we started. When you have talented kids like Elijah Taylor,Shaun Crawford,and Larry Scott guys who could be top 5-10 at their position in the Nation being slow played for bigger fish then you damn well better come home with those bigger fish.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

-1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

One other thing to consider: If a kid commits early it gives him more time to decommit...

+2 HS

that is the douchiest forum topic I have seen.

Dude, it's April.

www.septemberheisman.com

+5 HS

gotta give you credit.  I figured you would have confused "Your" and "you're"

but after reading it again, you don't know the difference between "to" and "too"

www.septemberheisman.com

+6 HS
BassDropper's picture

I didn't mean to include "to" at all. I originally was going to post something else and then deleted it, but accidentally left the "to."

DIRECTIONER

-10 HS

not trying to be a jerk, but you are ALWAYS trying to stir something up here...Whether you are trolling to get the fan base riled up about three glenville recruits or you are trying to get people riled up about recruiting....It just seems that you either enjoy the drama or you want to truly be the center of attention.  Hopefully you can restrain yourself so you don't tweet at recruits.

in either case, it gets old after a while.

www.septemberheisman.com

+11 HS
BassDropper's picture

People who have followed my post know how I feel about tweeting recruits, so don't put me in that category .

DIRECTIONER

-3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

gotta give you credit.  I figured you would have confused "Your" and "you're"

but after reading it again, you don't know the difference between "to" and "too"

Hahahaha....

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Hayze's picture

If that's truly what you wanted to discuss you would have indicated that in your initial post.

Instead, you chose to talk about how there are five teams ahead of OSU in the team rankings, how we can't find a QB, how all these other teams have more recruits committed than we do, blah blah blah.

You didn't want to talk about recruiting styles. You wanted to complain.

+5 HS
BassDropper's picture

Dude, the only reason I brought up the rankings and who is ranked where was so I could help support my argument. It's called the supporting details.

DIRECTIONER

-7 HS

Delete this post asap for us bass and things might be able to be overlooked.

+2 HS
toad1204's picture

A commitment at this point in the cycle only means you're in the recruit's top three.  Step back and relax, we're in on all the kids we want to be in on at this point.  The recruiting game is a fluid dynamic which pinnacles in early February.  Better efforts would be to worry about those which are injured recovering in time for the Va Tech game. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

m5987usus's picture

bassdropper please complain more dude

O-H!

+14 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I am not the Last Dragon, therefore I do not possess the power of the Glow.

+22 HS

That is truly beautiful.

+1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

An old bull and a young bull are standing on top of a hill. The young bull turns to the elder and says...... you know the rest.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+2 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Lorenzo Nunez is said to be favoriting the Buckeyes! He seems as if he would fit well in our offense, so all isn't lost.

+2 HS

Yea but who is Lorenzo Nunez? Is he Jesus H. Christ? Doubt it buddy...Tired of settling for top 100 type of talent. From now on if every single commit isnt top 3 at their position I'll be a fan of Alabama or USC. 

+4 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

We get one of these worry warts every year.

+1 HS
cwerph's picture

Only one? That would be a blessing.

+1 HS

And people need to honestly cut the original poster some slack. He is a young enthusiastic Buckeye fan. Their feelings get hurt a alot easier then most of us that have been around for years doing this. We were all this kid at one point in time. Anything honestly being discussed during this long dreadful period deserves a break. Only news we get is about injuries and yes we have had a long drought without a commit and it is frustrating. Do not kick the younger fans for showing their youth instead try to help guide them to be the fan you expect them to be.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture
-7 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

We were all this kid at one point in time.

I never liked One Direction.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+11 HS
mh277907's picture

BD doesn't like One Direction. BD just knows that 99.9% of people here despises One Direction.

buckeyebobcat

+1 HS
BassDropper's picture

That's simply not true.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Its been hardly 2 months since NSD, chill the hell out. 

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

I think the best thing for me to do right now is just retire from posting all together. Bye

DIRECTIONER

AngryWoody's picture

One Direction rulez

Our Honor Defend!

+2 HS

Now that's just shameless up vote whoring.

+3 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Which 1 is ur fav?

Our Honor Defend!

+2 HS
OH_IO's picture

o.m.g. lyke totes harry styles...

Oh yeah... Is it reasonable?

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

You received a DV for that. Wow. XD

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

I still love you, Bass.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+2 HS
Buck Commander's picture

He Gone!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+1 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

You can always tell the really stupid, horrible, useless forum topics because they're the ones no one on the staff responds too.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+7 HS
SilverState's picture

Cleveland.com spoke with Gibson last night:

"I wouldn't say anyone is separating, but some schools have a slight edge," Gibson said. "LSU, Tennessee, Ohio State and Auburn. That's it for right now."

That tour didn't include Ohio State because Columbus was far out of the driving range. But Gibson said he knows Ohio State will be a destination for an official visit in the fall, particularly because the Buckeyes have been so heavily involved in his recruitment. 

+1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

Wimbush, Wimbush, Wimbush. Urban will land another top class. No worries!

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+1 HS
Eye27's picture

As Dan Dakich likes to say "Water finds its level" meaning although some schools may seem to be hot now, in the end the best recruiters and schools will get their guys eventually and it will all work out.

+1 HS
45OH4IO's picture

Recruiting is like gardening, man. Plants dont make flowers instantaneously. You gotta put down roots and leaves first. Keep watering and fertilizing all year and harvest in the fall. The coaches are grinding and they will produce. Cant wait for football season.

zebiraross's picture

This year is going to be different then the last couple of years previous because of loosing our last 2 games. I don't see a ton of summer or early fall commitments. If we end up with a great season and a decent bowl win we'll be fine with flips/ late season/signing day commitments. If we don't have a good year then I think we have reason to worry.

Zeb