Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson is visiting Auburn AGAIN on April 18th

Silver Bullet 10's picture
April 1, 2014 at 3:25pm
33 Comments

Gibson will have a leader on May 5th, and I would assume Ohio State will be out of the top 3 if not top 5.

Swayze's picture

it's hard when you only recruit QB's that live way out....doubt we would be out of the top 5, but we will definitely be playing catch up.

+1 HS
Squirrel Master's picture

well I wouldn't say he "only" recruits QBs out of state. He secured Cardale for the 2012 class when he first came on. Yes I know he was already committed but he still needed to be locked in by Urban. And Danny Clark is committed already.

The 2013 class had no real prospects that fit the system, so he went with the top rated DT QB in JT. Can't blame him for that. Last year he went for the top stud DTQB again but it didn't work out. He made a mistake that time, but I wouldn't say he is only trying to get out of state prospects at QB. He just doesn't believe there are any locals as good as he would like in this years class. He is in on some 2016 kids and Clark is in already.

but I do agree that when OSU is trying to get top prospects out of Ohio, there will be some misses because of the distance. I see it that the 3rd or 4th option nationally isn't really all that bad compared to a local kid who might not even be that highly ranked. I would be confident in saying Stephen Collier will end up better than any QB from Ohio in last years class. He might not have been Deshaun Watson but he is still pretty good!

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

Ahh Saturday's picture

TG had been saying for a while that distance might prove to be a bigger factor in his recruitment than he had originally thought. Until he steps foot on campus, I'd consider the Buckeyes to be at the very edge of his list at best. If Urban can get him on campus I'd say we still have a real shot, but that doesn't seem so likely anymore.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

TG had been saying for a while that distance might prove to be a bigger factor in his recruitment than he had originally thought

Raekwon said the same thing.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
BassDropper's picture

Raekwon and Torrence are two different people.

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
SilverState's picture

Two different people said the same thing.

+7 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Obviously, but his point wasn't that they were obviously the same person. Just that kids say things that don't turn out to be worth listening too.

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Raekwon and Torrence are two different people.

I didn't know that until now...

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

The only reason OSU will be out of the top 3 is because of how far away the campus is. Remember, he was doing his spring break tour and probably didn't want to waste the extra day and a half it takes to come up here then go back down south. Whenever he has time after school gets out he will come up to OSU and we will be right back up at the top. This visit to Auburn is probably just telling us that they are up at the top too.

LEBRON

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Still can't visit OSU? 

His coach sure doesn't mind driving him all around the south to basically every single SEC school.  Now Auburn again? 

Seems fishy.

+5 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Or maybe, you know, he doesn't want to go to school 17 hours away from where his family lives...

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

His coach probably has a relative that works for E$PN....I kid, I kid. Coach is putting some miles on the ol' hoop-T regardless.

I am a modern-art masterpiece.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Tried to tell folks awhile ago whe you are going head to head with a couple of the most snakey southern teams around you expect snakey things to start happening.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Braxton2Devin's picture

Well... looks like the putting-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket method for QB recruiting isn't gonna end well again. I doubt Wimbush is gonna consider OSU as strongly anymore, as he probably felt slighted and now has grown extremely fond of PSU

+3 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Yeah it's too bad. I always liked Wimbush more from what I've seen. Him having to sit behind Hackenberg for 2-3 more year might deter him from going there.

Auburns the perfect system for TG though. Wont have to throw it much and can showcase his running. 

Deadly Nuts's picture

That reminds me of Bert Bielema.

LEBRON

+4 HS
CaliforniaBuckeye's picture

Moral of the story... Urban will take his time and once again bring in a top class. It's not how you start it's how you finish! (Excuse some of the language)

"The only way we'd get beaten was if we got a little fat-headed, if we didn't train right, if we had dissension on the squad." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Barnsey69's picture

One of the best movie-scenes ever...use this story all the time.

I am a modern-art masterpiece.

BuckeyeJ's picture

Not worried. Although I think the staff really wants TG, they have offered quite a few QB's that are good! They will have to stand in line behind what we have now (JT) and that will give them time to learn 

+1 HS
WezBuck28's picture

Nothing against TG, but as a qb, km going to have to pass... in my opinion, the type of qb needed to run thus style of offense, we need a pass first qb that can run when needed..and from what I've heard from everyone else on here, he is more of a run first qb..IMO we need to "spread" the ball out to the so called "playmakers" and let them get it done..I'll take him all day as an "athlete"..give me wimbush or nunez and I'll be happy..

+3 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

If Gibson gets away the staff has already offered kids that are better QB's to begin with.  Gibson is a superb athlete, probably a better athlete than any of the other QBs offered, but he is lacking in several key areas that it takes to be a successful QB.  He's even getting himself lined up at WO at some camps.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+2 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

The sooner he announces the better it is for OSU.  At least we could've move on and continue our pursuit of other top QB's

BAR43's picture

I wish our coaching staff would just move on without being told no by TG. This way we look at better prospects and it comes across like we want the next prospect, not that we are settling for the next prospect. He is a great athlete and all but he is way to attracted to spotlight for my liking, and as mentioned by others I think we need a game manager with all the weapons we have. I dont see why we need a running QB who can kinda throw decent.

ab1993's picture

Exactly. I feel like Kenny Guiton was a great game manager. Same thing with Cardale and Collier.

Class of '16

Hayze's picture

I wish we could hire the entire Buckeye fanbase to recruit for Urban instead of Urban himself. Obviously they know what he needs to run his offense better than he does. That way we wouldn't have to sit through more games of QBs who can't throw at all (Braxton and possibly Gibson).

+1 HS
Buckeye06's picture

It is April 2, 2014, and people are already saying to bail on our #1 guy for the 2015 class?  I mean the summer hasn't even started yet, the spring game hasn't sprung, and we are ready to give up? 

If he doesn't want to go to OSU, then so be it, but let's not freak out til he rules out OSU as a candidate

+3 HS
ab1993's picture

This keeps getting repeated over and over and over again, but the naysayers are still out there. There is literally NOTHING we can do as fans, so just sit back, relax and enjoy watching Urban work his magic.

Class of '16

Ahh Saturday's picture

Bucknuts reporting that Gibson has decided on two official visits, and OSU is one of them.

Seattle Linga's picture

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I like that and I'll take some of that action.

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Can we please talk about a different 2015 QB? 

-1 HS
bucknut8's picture

Id just really really hate to miss out on Gibson and then miss out on Nunez because we were all in on Gibson. Wish we would just recruit both & whoever commits first is in. If they both commit, take both. Gibson said hes not affraid from competition & if they both commit, we got QB1 & QB2 if not, Nunez takes it & Gibson to WR 

#Buckeyes