Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Malik McDowell????

OneToughNut25's picture
April 1, 2014 at 12:36pm
64 Comments

Is this kid going to MSU or not??? This is by far the strangest recruitment I have ever seen...

Squirrel Master's picture

is he 18? if he is not 18 I can see how his mother is able to pull this crap but if he is 18, what legal right does she have over his choice? (poor choice of words but still...)

seriously, the kid shouldn't be held captive like this. he should be able to attend the institution he desires without her consent. such BS

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

BassDropper's picture

I believe you have to be 21 to not have a parent sign off.

DIRECTIONER

allinosu's picture

It is not like it appears. Read up before shooting off your mouth

-4 HS

I read it so you tell me how his mother is not at all keeping him from attending MSU?  please because I am curious how I shot off my mouth about something that you are so much more aware of.

and as far as I am concerned, if someone who is 18 can enlist, smoke and be charged as an adult in a crime then they have the right to attend the college of their choice. So tell me where I am wrong?

+3 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

You're not wrong at all, and I agree with you. And he still can go to MSU if he wants to which all indications are he does. Just it's a little harder if you're under 21, want a scholarship, and your parents won't sign the letter of intent. He just has to wait till the first day of school, and he can still get his scholly I believe.

+2 HS
sroetter's picture

Whether he is 18 or not (and I believe he is not), the fact that her signature is REQUIRED, makes all of your arguments moot.  Her signature is required for a reason and that reason is the university requires her ratification of the minors decision.  Someone dropped the ball by not addressing her concerns and getting her buy-in.  The fact the her signature is required, places on her the responsibility to verify that this is the best choice for him.  If the powers thought that he was capable of making that decision, they would not require his mothers signature.  Its really simple.  Now you can talk about what"should be" all you want.  You can lament the unfairness all you want, none the less, it's the University that is requiring the signature.

+1 HS

is he 18?

the complete basis of my discussion, if he is 18 he doesn't need her signature because he is an adult.

and I said nothing about being unfair, life is unfair. I said she is wrong to not trust in his decision in picking a college.

We are talking about college, not a game, college. We are talking about college. Basically she thinks he is making a mistake by selecting a college.

toad1204's picture

I thought this was an April fools thing...  Feel bad for Malik it isn't. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+3 HS
DMcDougal24's picture

The LOI deadline passed last night (March 31) without a signature. McDowell will sign some form of agreement with MSU (Edit: called a "Big Ten tender") that does not require parental signature. This will allow him to receive financial aid and to begin courses at MSU in either the first or second summer term.  Source

+1 HS
OfficerRabbit's picture

Per local sports radio, he is merely waiting until he is able to sign with MSU without parental consent, which I believe will be his 18th birthday. There was no mention made of LOI, or any other document, but he will be a Spartan as soon as he can.

Very strange situation, and sad that his mother is dragging this, and by extension him, through the mud.

-1 HS
allinosu's picture

No the press is dragging her through the mud. She has a very valid reason not to sign.

+1 HS

do tell what that reason is? please instead of just saying so. as far as I can see, she doesn't have a good enough reason to stop him from going where he wants to go.

of course you must know something personally, so say it!

-4 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

So you know something big and secretive? lol..lol. If you know something big and illegal, why not send in the documented information and get them in trouble with the NCAA...lol. 

-1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Nobody said anything about anything illegal. Slow your role. 

Supposedly (and this is from various media reports) she heard coaches and or players telling Malik things like he could skip class, and stuff like that. Also she wanted him to get away from the crowd he was running with and will be running with there. No secrets here.

+3 HS
OfficerRabbit's picture

She allowed herself, and Malik by extension, to be dragged through the mud when she made private family concerns public by talking to the press about anything and everything regarding his recruitment. She has brought the press down on herself and her family through her own actions and comments, and I feel NO sympathy for her. 

Her son on the other hand, no 17 year should have to go through that on a national stage. 

-1 HS
allinosu's picture

She said it was a wonderful opportunity presented to malik and before she would sign she wanted a good reason why he wanted to go to any school. Malik's first priority was the NFL then education so she did her homework and found other schools had better track records to either. His reason for going to MSU was he was comfortable which to her was running around with his friends which caused some problems earlier. But she went with him anyway and while on their visit overheard his friends tell him they can help him get out of some classes. This really pissed her off and reported it to a coach who blew her off. She says she knows her son and he will take the easy way out. She told him then she would sign anywhere but MSU unless he can give her a good reason other than comfortable. So he was fully aware at signing day. She wants him away from his friends and is hoping he will graduate. 

+12 HS

You tell any parent their child wants to go to college for any reason (ON A FULL RIDE) and they will accept it and sign anywhere. There are many children in families who don't even go to college. If she believes he will "take the easy road" then he needs to learn that lesson. If she doesn't trust him enough to make the right choices in life, then she is the one who needs to look in the mirror. Sounds to me like she needs to let go, not hold him hostage because of her signature on a form that he needs to get accepted in the first place.

This is not her choice to make and she should be happy he is even attempting to go to college. She can't keep him from making mistakes in his life, just help him make an informed decision. To not sign that form when he clearly prefers to go to MSU is a poor decision because he could have chosen another University for many worse reasons. Or just not go to college at all and sit on her couch. We mock the reasons kids choose the programs they do (money, hot chicks, warm weather) but at least they are going to college to get a proper education. If she feels he won't put in the work in class, she can't put that on friends or coaches. Its on him!

Plus he will find friends who might do the same at other Universities. He might have coaches that don't care about his education at other Universities. We all would like to think that our favorite University is perfect but they aren't.

and I was quite aware of all those reason thank you. Its BS if that is all of her reason. I think the one thing you are leaving out is that she is in favor of Michigan and has bias towards MSU to start with. Which is even more BS.

to me, that is not valid enough. but its her loss because at some point he won't need her signature nor her consent. She is just pushing him away, and I don't know their relationship but I bet its a bit more strained than it was before this.

-6 HS
BamBamBuck's picture

Squirrel...your logic is weak and parental guidance may be lacking. How is it acceptable for him to make the decision on which school to attend and not acceptable for his mother to make the decisin to disagree with his choice? I would also argue it is her parental duty/obligation to object to what she considers his "mistake" to whatever degree that she can. In this case by not signing the LOI. While we all know this should have been handled more privately it is what it is at this point and she has every right to not sign up to his "mistake". It will be very interesting over the next few years to see how he handles himself in situations of little oversight, I only hope his mother is wrong about his laziness.

BamBamBuck

+5 HS
theopulas's picture

he's 17 and going to make mistakes....but its his right to make these decisions....because his mother feels protective, (if thats her real motive and not family issues ) shouldn't give her this right....the cry " i was doing it for you" really doesn't apply here....this is abuse of power....

Theopulas

-4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Seems kind of odd that if the inevitable was going to happen - then she should have signed the letter before the deadline yesterday.

-1 HS
BamBamBuck's picture

At Theo..Is it not the parents responsibility to instruct the child when the child is making a possible, bad decision? Your simplistic view that this is his decision to screw up is not how a responsible parent is going to view it. And sure as hell not going to support it! What's this abuse of power crap? She has no power over him (else he would sign elsewhere) and am quite sure both know he will eventually go to the school of his choice, but will do so without her consent.

BamBamBuck

+4 HS

well she did consent and I don't agree to the abuse of power thoughts either.

my point is she could have protested this but still stand behind his choice. And a responsible parent can disagree with his choice but at the end it is his choice. He is the one going to college, he is the one who will be with those friends and coaches. He is going to be an adult and she will have to know that. She can help him be informed of his decision and weight in with her opinion, but to outright block his opportunity to go to A UNIVERSITY is stepping over the line. She had the right to do so, yes, but she wouldn't after he turns 18 (which was my original statement on this post). Once he is 18, he is considered an adult and has the right to make his own choices without her say. Again, my original point. Under her house, her rules she can do this, but once he is out of her house, and under a University/football programs rules, she doesn't!

again, we are talking about him going to college. Not joining a gang or saying no to college. Out of the possible choices he could have made coming out of high school, this is by far not the worse!

Squirrel...your logic is weak and parental guidance may be lacking. how is it acceptable for him to make the decision on which school to attend and not acceptable for his mother to make the decision to disagree with his choice?

I didn't say she couldn't disagree, I said she is wrong for not supporting his decision when he made it. A mother can still protest and not do this. I understand her qualms, but she should still trust her son!

FYI, I went to a University. I work at a University. My parents wanted me to go to college as opposed to not going to college. They didn't care which one I went to and I didn't need their signature because I was 18 (well they preferred I went to a major university, not a community college or tech school). and yes I partied and hung out with the wrong crowd sometimes, and I learned from those mistakes and I still am an upstanding person. My parents trusted in me even when I made mistakes because they knew I would learn from them. and my parents really haven't had much of a say for over 20 years. but I still love them because they respected me enough to make my own choices.

+1 HS
BamBamBuck's picture

Good points Squirrel +1. I fully agree that this shoulda, coulda been handled better as it just makes everyone involved look foolish and/or selfesh somewhere along the line. While I don't disagree she should have publically stood behind her kid, for sake of appearance, I fully support her disdain of the reported/rumored happeninings at MSU during the visit. That same thing would have really set me off as a parent, possibly even to the extent of not supporting my kids decision in this situation. It would absolutely make me not "allow" my child to go to that school as a "paying" parent.

BamBamBuck

+1 HS

that is a good point. As a thick headed individual myself, I can see being rubbed the wrong way and letting it alter my perception to that point. I still don't think its the right thought process though and, as she did do, eventually would have gotten passed my biases.

Not going to lie, if/when my children choose a college and lets say they chose UM instead of OSU, I would have issue with that but I think I would still give my blessing and trust in my child.

I just hope the kid gets to enjoy his college life the way he wants to and still does well in both football and his education. Sounds like he will be hearing from her the whole time he is there anyways so he better act right. He might have his real final exams when he comes home for break. lol

allinosu's picture

She was straight with him. If that's your choice than figure it out. She wants no part of it. It isn't like MSU won't still get him, just without her blessing. I ran into you before with Mike Mitchell and you called us a bunch of morons when there was things not adding up there also. A mother is trying to do what is best for her child which she knows more than the rest of us and putting her down for it isn't right. It's not like she is trying to hold him close when she is willing to sign papers for FSU.

+7 HS

I'm not calling anyone a moron here am I?

as for McDowell's mother, I am not "putting her down" personally. Nothing I said was personal towards her, just her view of what is best for her college bound son. She might think she knows what is best for him, but that still doesn't mean she is right!

and her willingness to sign papers for another program doesn't mean she is correct in not signing the forms for MSU. She should be happy and proud her son wants to go to college, anywhere! To snub her nose at his choice is an insult to him. Again, it goes back to her trusting her own son. If she doesn't trust that he won't "take the easy way" at MSU, what makes her think he would be any less likely at FSU. She doesn't like his friends? She doesn't like the coaches? Again, he will find friends at any other University if he wants to hang out with people she doesn't like. She is concerned about cheating? guess what, it happens at many other institutions. Coaches that don't care about education? Go ask Northwestern alum Kain Colter if MSU is the ONLY program that does that. Her concerns can be just as concerning at any other University if she doesn't truly trust her own son to make the right decision. And trying to force that on him won't change that!

and if you could so kindly reply to me by using the reply feature. I'm giving you that respect, moron or not.

-6 HS
allinosu's picture

Squirrel, She sees a snake pit for her son. Whether he finds another who knows but she is trying to give him what she thinks is his best chance. Read some of his twitter history. There are some questionable stuff. Not saying he's bad or anything but I guess I just don't get it. 

+6 HS

a snake pit at a major University? really! Again, she is pointing to friends and coaches as her concern but she obviously doesn't trust her son enough.

and twitter does not make a person! come on!

and she did sign the letter last minute, so I guess either she just wanted to make a point or she knew she wasn't going to win this battle.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

These parents have done a very brave and rare thing by speaking out about what they feel is right for "their" child. They and only they know the true reason why the feelings are so strong against MSU. If I remember correctly the parents at one point in time said they want Malik to get out of state altogether because they were worried about some negative influences either waiting for him or ready to follow him to either MSU or UM. Honestly with what little tiny bit of information we actually have on this situation I find it hard to put blame on the Mother or the parents. I think its a little closer to Junior being a knucklehead and the parents truely wanting what is best for him and they know that might not happen at MSU. Some kids are more mature at 17 then others. Some kids are followers and have a shit load of negative influences while some kids blaze their own path in life. I know I'll follow his situation till the end because I think its a really unique thing. This isnt the shady uncle trying to collect a money bag this is a parent knowing her son is a follower and knows he is picking the school where he thinks he can get by with putting up minimal effort. Bravo.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+7 HS
theopulas's picture

this isn't like " will he smoke crack or shoot drugs " . . he is picking a school...he must be able to pick his own school and his own future, and his mother must let him bump his head if it comes to that....like every other mother...do you think she cares more then the others who pick a school other then the parents likes...MSU isn't the pits of hell and she isn't saving him she is hurting him....

Theopulas

-5 HS
BuckeyeStrong2's picture

Is there any chance part of this could be by design then? Since she thinks he will slack off, hang with the wrong group, cut class etc wouldn't making that fact public be one way of "making sure everyone knows about it" so he has more eyes on him to make sure he stays disciplined? 

"BLOOD. THIRSTY. BUCKEYES."

BassDropper's picture

His mom is definitely making matters worse. This is the kind of stuff that could ruin an 18 year olds life. She's not thinking of the consequences this will have of MM. I mean come on, this is about as messy of a situation can get in recruiting...all because she heard a "rumor" that MSU players don't have to attend class. Guess what, it's not just MSU. You will find colleges all across the country are like this. (UNC is probably the most extreme example). 

She has been trying to be in the spotlight since MM's recruiting first began. I remember her publicly expressing her dislike for Urban and Ohio State. She is a self admitted Michigan fan and it just so happens the two schools she has dissed to the media is Michigan's 2 biggest rivals. 

DIRECTIONER

-6 HS

Thats a bunch of bullshit dude and Im calling you out on it. The lady had actually tried to avoid the spotlight. Go look at the big commitment ceremony that was posted all over the web and show my one damn snap shot with her trying to get in the spotlight.You wont be able too because she stayed home to try to lessen the drama. The mother is a weasel fan but has also spoke out about how they would like Malik to leave state. This isnt a a case of a parent trying hard to steer a child to their favorite school.Point blank.

+10 HS
BassDropper's picture

So her staying home from what 'could have been" the biggest day of her sons life is lessening the drama? I see it as the complete opposite. Her staying home was just as big of a story because of the message it was displaying. She is trying to make this recruitment about her and not Malik and you can't convince me otherwise. Malik's dad was there to sign the LOI, why wasn't she?

If she doesn't want MM to pick MSU because she thinks he won't go to class, then that is on Malik...not MSU. If Malik isn't going to go to class at MSU...do you think he will go to class at FSU? or Ohio State? This all falls on the individual, and to a certain degree parenting. 

DIRECTIONER

-5 HS
BassDropper's picture

Thanks for the down votes for stating an opinion. Im going to start returning the favor to everyone who post in this thread. Fair or unfair i don't care. I think it's pretty unfair I get down voted every single post I make on this board.

DIRECTIONER

-5 HS

I am going to cut you a little slack on my side because I would seriously bet that you are not much older then Malik is himself. Maybe people downvote you because you try to take your opinion and state it as matter of factly like its the truth. I can just see where you tried to make it look like the mother was trying to keep Malik away from MSU and tOSU because she is a weasel fan. Thats wasnt the case at all. I seen where the father and mother both said they would much rather him go to tOSU or FSU over either of the *ichigans schools. If you are going to give such a spirited post on a highly debatable topic its best to clearly separate what is fact from opinion. I get caught up in doing that sometimes and have to catch myself. Thats what keeps the quality of posting on this board significantly higher then the others. People do not get away with clearly making shit up out of thin air to better support their arguments here,if we did this would just be a free version of Bucknuts.

+4 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Thanks for the down votes for stating an opinion. Im going to start returning the favor to everyone who post in this thread. Fair or unfair i don't care. I think it's pretty unfair I get down voted every single post I make on this board.

So your solution is to act childish?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

yep, considering everyone else is. You have been one of my serial down voters too, so it's not like you can try to get by with calling me names.

DIRECTIONER

So you're childish, and you make false accusations? Good to know.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

BassDropper's picture

Childish? yes. False accusations? no.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS

You have facts to back up your claims? I'd love to see it.

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

His mom just waited until the last possible minute to sign the LOI. 11:12 pm to be exact (midnight deadline). And you're telling me she wasn't trying to make this about her....hahaha

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
tae1986's picture

Squirrel Master,

I think you are "putting her down" when you are calling her reasons for not support Malik's decision "BS" or compare her behavior to "crap", especially when we don't have all the facts and not really knowing the family.

Like you said, I agree that it is not her choice to make decision for him, but she can choose whether to support Malik's decision or not.

What if she is not signing the LOI, so Malik will be motivated to prove her wrong?

At the end of the day, we won't lose any sleep over what happens to Malik, but his mom will.

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

+4 HS

Many parents lose sleep as their children go off to college because they are afraid of what will happen, doesn't mean they don't support their opinion. By her not supporting her sons desire to attend a Unversity on a full ride, again not like we are talking about joining a gang or not going to college at all, then she is basically telling all of us how much she doesn't trust her own son.

If she can't trust her son to make right choices, then that is a whole other issue. Because many kids, including Desean Jackson, can hang out and be around others and not let them affect their decisions and choices. She acts like her son will jump off a bridge because all his friends will.

and I said "I'm not putting her down PERSONALLY". I said nothing derogatory towards her personally. I didn't say she was a B. I didn't say she is a horrible person. I said her choice to fight her son on his selection OF A UNIVERSITY for the reasons given are wrong and is BS. I never said she herself is BS. Now if there are better reasons than given to this point that she has for not signing that document, then I would be fine with that. But for the reasons given, its not good enough to NOT support her son in his choices.

we are talking about a 5* athlete that many coaches, coaches who just don't accept anyone who is "taking the easy road", wanted on their team (including our favorite Urban Meyer); that is graduating high school, going to a major University. This kid isn't doing something wrong, and yet his mother is predicting he will. What kind of confidence does she have in her own son, doesn't sound like much.

at the end of the day, if she loses sleep over his decision of what UNIVERSITY TO GO TO, then there are bigger issues at play.

at the end of the day, he will go to MSU without her consent, so really she is just pushing him away and still won't get what she wants! no matter how I or you feel!

+1 HS
tae1986's picture

Joining a gang or not going to college at all were never an issue so I think they are irrelevant.

Saying "she is basically telling all of us how much she doesn't trust her own son", is just your assumption without reasonable and adequate facts to back it up. You cannot and should not judge someone with ambiguous information. In my opinion, it seems like you are judging Malik's mom.

Yes, many kids can hang out and be around others and not let them affect their decisions and choices. However, in Malik's case, in my opinion, one of the main reason Malik wants to go to MSU is because many of his friends are going to MSU. In my opinion, Malik's decision is affected by his friends. Also, reportedly, one of the main reason Desean Jackson was released by Eagles was because of people he associate with. Or when Michael Vick went to jail with dog fighting, didn't he say he wasn't thinking how bad it actually was because it was accepted by people around him? Those two, plus, Aaron Hernandaz, and many other players go into the NFL have to deal with their past.

Here's a quote from an article regarding Aaron Hernandaz,
“A lot of guys come into the NFL haunted by the past,’’ said Tully Banta-Cain, Hernandez’s Patriots teammate in 2010. “Some guys overcome it and some continue to be haunted throughout their careers if they’re not able to disassociate themselves from certain people or certain atmospheres. Aaron may have fallen victim to that.’’
Source: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/08/14/hometown-link-double-life-a...
There are many concerns about social influence, and Malik' mom doesn't want to risk her son to go through something similar to what Michael Vick or Aaron Hernendez had to go through, even though it might not be as extreme as those cases.

Seems like we are totally different, I cannot agree with a lot of your comments and wanted to reply.

"Basically she thinks he is making a mistake by selecting a college"
She doesn't think he is making a mistake by selecting a college but the reason behind it draws concerns for her.

"do tell what that reason is?" - reason for her not supporting Malik's decision
Reportedly, MSU players were telling Malik that he doesn't have to go to classes, MSU coaches went behind her back and told Malik to "Man-Up" instead trying to convince her they will manage all of her concerns the way that will satisfy her, perceived bad influence from Malik's friends that will attend MSU with him, also there may or may not be other reasons that aren't public.

"You tell any parent their child wants to go to college for any reason (ON A FULL RIDE) and they will accept it and sign anywhere."
If there are many choices, like Malik does, they rather pick the best option than signing anywhere.

"This is not her choice to make and she should be happy he is even attempting to go to college"
It is not, but its her choice to support his decision to go to MSU or not. She knows even without her support Malik can go to MSU one way or another, like I said, there could be reasons to not support her even though she knows he will go to MSU. (i.e. Malik could be more motivate to prove her wrong, compare to her letting him do what he wants without much resistance. He might not have that "fire" in him in later case)

"To not sign that form when he clearly prefers to go to MSU is a poor decision because he could have chosen another University for many worse reasons"

Yes, but he could have chosen another University for reasons that is reasonable to her as well.

"Plus he will find friends who might do the same at other Universities. He might have coaches that don't care about his education at other Universities."

If the report that MSU players telling him they don't have to go to classes is true, maybe to her MSU seems to be one of the University fall into this category?

"I was quite aware of all those reason thank you. Its BS if that is all of her reason"

Sorry, it seems to me you are judging her again without knowing her or her family. Please stop calling her reasons BS.

"I think the one thing you are leaving out is that she is in favor of Michigan and has bias towards MSU to start with. Which is even more BS."

Didn't Malik's parents say they want Malik to get out of state of MI?

"to me, that is not valid enough"

It is none of our business and she doesn't need validation from us

I cannot spend anymore time replying but bottom line, we should not judge Malik's or Malik's mom without personally knowing them. (Even if I knew them, I wouldn't judge but if I have to judge someone I want all the facts clearly laid out)

Please know I have no personal issues with you. In fact, I usually enjoy your comment on this site.

I just wanted to reply to your comments on this topic because it seems your are bit too harsh on his mom.

Just so you know, I do not agree how she handled Malik's recruiting, if I was in her shoes, I would have done many things differently but everyone has different way to do things and we should try to respect and understand that. At the end of the day, she means well.

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

BuckeyeSouth's picture

There's obviously passion for both arguments on this site and it's interesting to sit back and watch it play out.  I'm just glad he's not going to OSU because I can do without all of the drama.

Embrace it.

+5 HS
bedheadjc's picture

Squirrel, don't forget the report that an MSU staffer or coach pulled her son aside during a visit to tell him "he needed to man up" and that he "didn't have to listen to his mother 'cause he was a man". If I remember right reportedly within earshot of her. He may be a "man" but you sure as hell don't say that to Malik on his visit with his Mom in attendance. Totally disrespectful.

Also,  her biggest concern with him going to MSU is that she doesn't like the crew he runs with and wanted him to get away from them. Far away from them. MSU isn't far enough.

All of this has been covered here ad infinitum and I swear you were in on those discussions? No?

+3 HS

well I didn't discuss it much before and I just stated my opinion previously on this post, but some said I was shooting my mouth off without information which is inaccurate.

I am well aware of what was said at that visit by both coaches and friends. I think my point is valid that if he wants to hang out with friends like those friends, he will find them whether at FSU or OSU or MSU. Honestly, I have been to FSU and I would be more concerned about any crowd he would hang with there. Plus at that distance, she would have less control over his actions.

and tell me a football program that wouldn't have at least 1 coach who might have said that. We don't know the actual situation and maybe she was being a bit rude herself. Who knows. but she is naive if she thinks that MSU coaches are the only ones who would want him to "man up" or think more of the football program and less about education. There is this situation going on at Northwestern about the same problem. any program, especially at FSU and even our own OSU, wants to win more than they actually care about the players education. Its wrong but it doesn't mean its not true.

but as I have said before, whether I am correct or not in the situation, his mom will not be able to hold him back from going to MSU for very long. He will go where he wants to go and she is just straining their relationship. She has to trust that he will make the rights choices in life going forward. He will no longer be her little boy.

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Malik McDowell is going to Michigan State.

SilverState's picture
+1 HS
Jeremypreemo81's picture

Thanks Birm, and honestly I've been over the whole McDowell thing since NSD.  We need to wish him well and move on.  We got D. Slade anyway

Buck Commander's picture

Birm with the elbow from the top rope.........love it!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

+2 HS
dkgaffney's picture

It sounds like the mother has some legitimate concerns regarding MSU.  It sound as if the MSU coaches screwed up when she addressed her concerns to them.  As a parent, it is her responsibility to try and guide her son on what she believes to be the right path regardless of what a lot of people who do not know the entire situation think.  She and the father know what is best for their son not anyone else.  She also knows that if he is determined to go to MSU that he will he will just go there without her blessing.  Will he hold some resentment toward her?  Sure. He is a 17 year old.  Hopefully her reasoning for doing this will cause him to prove her wrong by putting his nose to the grindstone, get his degree and maybe become an NFL caliber player.  If that occurrs, than she will have done her job and been a good parent to her son 

+2 HS

my point is what makes her think, or any of us, that he won't "put his nose to the grindstone, get his degree and..." without her doing this? Why does she not trust her own son so much to make such a stink?

you are correct that none of us know the situation. maybe he is easily influenced by his friends or maybe she is an over controlling parent. There are many cases of both. I just think she should trust her own son enough to sign a letter for him to attend college and further his future, at a place he wants to go to. She can blame the friends and coaches all she wants, but who is she really not trusting? her son!

buckskin's picture

When the whole incident went public, that is the moment this story became a multi month car wreck for everyone to rubber neck at. It is unfortunate for the whole family, especially Malik,, whose career could be hampered by this. I wish all families would make more of an effort to be discreet in the recruiting process, although the story of the Florida mom hiding the LOI and running away with it is quite entertaining. She, like us, knew Bert was going to fail at Arkansas.

+1 HS
ab1993's picture
+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

#They'llsendsomeonetoclassforhim.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS
M Man's picture

You boys misunderestimate Fat Leek.

His mom sighed, and then faxed the damn letter with her signature.

LOL Sparty.  They win a top recruiting in a straight-up battle with Michigan and Ohio State... and it still turns out to be a mostly-negative story in the end for the Spartan brand.  #badatmosphere

+2 HS

Which officially means that he's going to be 0-4 against Ohio State.

sivaDavis's picture

Finally signed. Now I'm interested in seeing his career start. Hopefully all the rumors aren't true and his mom maybe was just a bit paranoid. But if he doesn't work or gets in trouble, hope he doesn't... knock on wood, maybe all the ones bashing his mom will need to re-evaluate their view about her and her concerns for her son.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
ChazBuckeye's picture

The time and effort some put into a thread about a kid who was going to MSU all along is pretty amusing to be quite honest.  It was pretty obvious to me that he wasn't going to attend OSU.  

Some people think we’re the hunted.I don’t feel that way at all.We’re the hunter.Everybody wants an angry football team.Everybody wants a team on edge and a hungry team.If you’re a hunter,that usually equates to being hungry.

+1 HS