Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Question about Torrance Gibson

otrain2416's picture
March 31, 2014 at 7:39pm
49 Comments

Just curious what everyone on 11W and staff thinks of him as a QB since he's very high on our board. I've watched his highlights and he's definitely extremely athletic and a run first QB. Just seems like he's not a very polished passer. I've read a few camps he's attended he's switched to WR because of his accuracy errors. I see him rated as a 5* QB, but it baffles me you can be rated that high with the accuracy problems he has. 247 even acknowledges his accuracy errors and rated him a 4/10. I guess I see him as a 5* ATH that could play WR, but not so much a QB at this point until he spends a year or two with a QB coach like Herman. Am I being too harsh or are there others that feel the same way? 

ab1993's picture

I definitely feel the same way. There seem to be two sides on the site. The side that really wants TG and the others that aren't real impressed and would rather have Wimbush, Murray, or Nunez. I fall in that second group.

Edit: Not that I'm not impressed with him, I just don't want him at QB.

Class of '16

+4 HS
m5987usus's picture

Just saw a tweet where somebody asked, "Do you have a leader" and he responded " May5th Ill have a leader." If someone wants to embed the tweet thank you! hahahaha and birm is this accurate?

O-H!

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

LEBRON

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

hahahaha and birm is this accurate?

considering it came from TG himself, I'd say so.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

I was more just asking for birm's opinion but alright.

O-H!

BassDropper's picture

Well you are not very smart if you have to ask someone else if something is true when the information is coming directly from the source. 

DIRECTIONER

-8 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Do you know what an opinion is? He clearly stated in his last post that he was asking for his opinion.

LEBRON

-1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Alright boys, put your dicks away, this pissing contest is over!

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

He's got a lot of potential, and it's worth giving him a shot at QB, but theres no guarantee that he could prove himself well enough to become the starter.  He's too good to be a backup anything.  This kid has to be on the field in some way.  Definitely don't want to see them trying to force a square peg through a round hole...if QB isn't going to work then convert him to WR.

Obviously we all have this dream of having the QB who can both pass and run extremely well.  The problem is that those are pretty hard to come by.  I'm of the mindset though, that If you have to take a compromise on their abilities then it should probably be with the legs not the arm...

+2 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

We all have the dream of a QB who can throw the ball and make plays with his legs when needed. Someone kind of like Alex Smith. 

+1 HS
ohst8buxCP's picture

***Someone kind of like Braxton Miller

osubuck57's picture

AB1993, I'm with you on this one. "Potential" can be a scary word, especially at the Quarterback position. Give me Wimbush or Nunez first, then maybe Gibson. Would add Murray in there as well, but don't think we have a realistic shot with him. I don't personally get the "all in with Gibson". Last year should have proven that to the staff with Watson, and he is a much better passer than Gibson.

SCOTTC.

+1 HS
SilverState's picture

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice to see that he is still interested in us, whether he plays WR or QB I like his game.

nikolajz1's picture

I dont have much faith in project athlete QBs since Braxton still can't throw the ball after 3 years but its not like Tebow was the best thrower. 

+1 HS
DeepSouthBuckeye's picture

I would gladly take 3 more years of "Braxton" from our next starting QB...

Loving all things Buckeye from SEC country in Alabama.
"How firm thy friendship....O-HI-O"

+2 HS
BAR43's picture

Agreed. Miller is the best throwing QB we have had since Troy Smith, and Smith might have been one, if not the, best passer in OSU history. Miller can throw very well, he just needs to work on pre-play reads and checking down... it comes with time. Even Smith was questionable until he blew up his senior year.

+2 HS
rbesr's picture

Put me in the camp of liking Wimbush and Nunez over Gibson.  

+7 HS
mobboss1984's picture

I like Wimbush the most. Nunez is pretty good. Give me Wimbush and I'll be happy. Gibson is an exciting player and he will be a very good qb, but Wimbush has better passing skills by far. It's 50/50 for me. I say get either and it's a win/win! After that we have Danny Clark who is going to be pretty damn good in the future.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

+2 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I feel the staff likes his upside. They have JT waiting and can try and fix TG throwing mechanics. By the time he is ready he may want to be on the field in some maner and could become a WR. 

+3 HS
m5987usus's picture

Do you guys remember Russell Shepard the number one overall player/quarterback in his class went to lsu tried out qb and didn't really work out so he switched to wr and was actually pretty good kind of the same thing here imho

O-H!

+1 HS
saltybuck61's picture

If I remember correctly LSU had recruited him as a wide receiver, but he played QB in the high school all star game he was in (can't remember which one). He didn't go to LSU as a quarterback. Gibson wants to go to a college as a QB. He could switch to WR if it doesn't work out. One of MSU's guys did it a couple of years back.

Calgarybuck's picture

He was actually lied to by LSU who said they'd give him a shot at QB but in all intensive purposes brought him in to be their all purpose player and wildcat qb (which only lasted a season) Texas was the school he wanted to commit to but they said it'd be as an athlete as they believed he would be a better skill player than QB (something Texas was right about for once regarding qb's the last 10 years) so Les moved in and say hey come over and we'll let you play big boy ball at QB which never happened..and for what its worth how much better was Jordan Jefferson over any other D1 QB that Shepard didn't get the chance to even play QB..

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

He would've worked as a spread option QB though. Instead, he was a 6'0" 190lb speedster trying to play a pro-style offense.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

otrain2416's picture

Cool I'm glad I'm not going crazy and others feel the same way. Definitely think he's a special athlete with the ball in his hand running. Just curious if he's gonna settle in at QB. He does have those long strides like Pryor did when he runs.

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

He'll have a few years to work on his throwing before he sees serious playing time.  I'm not worried about that.  I don't see why people rag on him saying he's just gonna be like Braxton.  All he's done is become a Heisman finalist and win conference player of the year multiple times.  That sounds pretty damn good to me!

+2 HS
ohst8buxCP's picture

I agree, what the f**k is peoples problem with Braxton? I'd take him at QB for the next 20 years if he could do it. People need to get off their high horse and quit thinking that every QB at OSU needs to be Payton effing Manning. The kid literally put the entire offense on his back his first two years and did the same last year but with the help of El Guapo. Braxton is definitely at a level with his passing skills and running skills to win us a natty, possibly a Heisman, and has consistantly improved visually and statistically as a passer every year.  What more do you want? 

+3 HS
Urban_Can_Recruit's picture

I feel the pipe dream would be to land Nunez at QB and Gibson as a QB/WR (ATH)

+4 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Changes timeline. Interesting.

Anyway, I would take Gibson if he wants to come and try out QB. What would it hurt? It's not like we are depleted at the QB position and he would be the only option whether he is ready or not. He could come in and try it out, If it doesn't work out, send him to Zach Smith. I personally like Nunez who seems to be a heavy OSU lean and not so much flying under the radar but not exactly blowing up either. Give me Renzo and TG in this class and I'll be ecstatic. Even without TG, I think Nunez in this class would be the perfect 2nd QB to whoever they decide to also sign because I truly think he could be the best QB option out of the people we would like to sign.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Nice post and nice reasoning - I agree however I think if Gibson really wants to play QB than he will find a school that will want him as such and not one that will have a "Let's See" attitude. Colleges will tell this kid exactly what he wants to hear all day long. 

SwagstonMiller's picture

The real question is would an early commitment by Gibson really mean anything? I don't think so... he seems pretty fickle.

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

ITT: People who are pissy about Gibson not visiting yet/naming UT as a leader, so they say that he's not a good quarterback. Come on. If we land this kid, the second that the Gray Box goes live, everyone's going to say "THIS KID IS GOING TO WIN A HEISMAN CALLING IT NOW"

Gibson is going to be a quarterback at the next level. Hopefully that happens at Ohio State.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
Hayze's picture

Excellent post.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

To be fair, some were saying this before Gibson made that comment.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Just hope we don't get into a situation like last year where we have put a lot of the attention on one QB prospect, only to let others like Kyle Allen go by. 

+3 HS
DenBuck's picture

I'm deathly afraid of the exact same thing ala Wimbush, Nunez and the lot. 

Buckeye For Life

niblick's picture

In the last week, hes went from committing after his senior year, to mid-summer, to after his senior year again, now hes announcing a date hes going to name a leader? Lol, i dont give a shit where this kid goes, way too much drama/look at me bullshit.

+2 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

That's what everyone said about Pryor, and it worked out pretty well, on the field that is.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+1 HS
BAR43's picture

I agree it worked out pretty well... but we aren't looking for "pretty well" we are looking for championships. I believe a quiet confident Krenzel has one up on  show-me-the-money Pryor. If Gibson is already loving the spotlight now, what is he going to be like when he gets here. I can appreciate confidence, but humility is just as important, especially as a team leader at the QB position.

+1 HS
DeepSouthBuckeye's picture

The kid will certainly need some polishing, but I do not think the staff is looking for him to come in and play from day 1. We have a pretty good QB coach, and I think some time learning the game and working on mechanics with Herman will help alot. His upside, in my opinion, far outweighs his "flaws". Not to mention the fact he is such a highly rated player, other recruits will be drawn to play with him.

Loving all things Buckeye from SEC country in Alabama.
"How firm thy friendship....O-HI-O"

BuckeyeJ's picture

That is what i was thinking. I would like to have TG, but Nunez would be a great get also. I think they will offer Stevens when they see him throw in person  sometime in April.

ohst8buxCP's picture

I'm in the camp of Gibson or bust. IMO I don't understand how you can watch the tape of Gibson and then the tape of Nunez and the other's and not want Gibson. His accuracy is as good as Braxton was in HS and tons better than TP and imo he has a more refined release. That being said this kid could easily be THE VERY BEST athlete in this ENTIRE CLASS. Even if you don't want him at QB, at the very least you let him come in as one and play his way into WR. We need this kid.

GoBucksToledo's picture

Sounds like a kid named Troy Smith.  He did pretty well in the scarlet and gray.

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Tired of the Tweeting games if you are 100% sure on where to go why wait.......seems fishy like a game?

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

Lawver_5's picture

Well to be fair, I don't think he is 100% sure where he wants to go yet

jamesrbrown322's picture

I think he's honestly conflicted. UT is his clear leader right now, but he's not pulling the trigger until he comes to OSU. He thinks that they have the best fans and facilities, so hopefully OSU can prove him wrong.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

KBonay's picture

Anyone who has a Bucknuts membership care to summarize this?

+2 HS