Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Torrance Gibson not visiting

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture
March 17, 2014 at 8:15pm
38 Comments
buckeyedexter's picture

That's just during spring break, I'm sure he'll visit Ohio St.  He listed Ohio St, Tenn and Miami as his top 3 and none are listed there.

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Yeah, he'll visit eventually, i just thought in a recent interview he said he was visiting OSU during his spring break.

Buckeye fan from PA

lsjSnail's picture

Duh...He is not visiting because he knows he is going to OSU so he is checking others out.

+1 HS
CasualBystander's picture

Lol thanks for the laugh to start my day

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain

teddyballgame's picture

I guess he's taking a tour of the south first.  If he was coming up north and skipping OSU then I'd be worried.

InTressITrust's picture

I do not think it is a big deal at all.  His trip is 3,433 mi* and 51 hours of driving*. If he added tOSU it would be 4,288 mi* and 63 hours of driving*.  I would not want to make that trip in a week. 

* - estimates provided by google maps

"I'm not going to lie. We're anxious to be a part of a matchup like that. It's two states that love the game of football." -Jim Tressel

+5 HS
nburns18's picture

I saw somewhere that hes making a trip to oklahoma soon. But i still see think ohio state is the favorite

"You win with people." -Woody Hayes

HilltopHustle's picture

Yep, now visiting Oklahoma for their spring game, I believe.

Ehhhh, we'll see if you still see think that once he's done with his trip. HAVE to get him on campus

"Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Interesting. He did tell me just yesterday that he'd be visiting Ohio State over spring break. I'll try and get some clarity.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

He lied to Birm? What's the 11W policy on water boarding....

+11 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

I think all's fair, if kept in the Premium Lounge and after hours.

Go Bucks!

BassDropper's picture

Starting to lose hope with this one. If you notice, he doesn't seem to talk Ohio State up as much as the other schools he's interested in (Tennessee and Miami)

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Give it a few more months, but I understand what you're saying.

Calgarybuck's picture

It's the Vol's fans tweeting him non-stop that's putting them in the conversation, once the NCAA actually does something to curb all this non sense of fans flooding kids social media they'll fade away since A) Their offense stinks and has no playmakers B) Their going to get killed again all year and C) He's going to take an Official to OSU and see it firsthand that he belongs in C-BUS! 

I might add that if Dixon makes an impact and we see a few more sunshine state commitments it'll help alot! 

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I have to think this might be him wanting to give OSU more time that just a "drive by" look. That & it's the only school of those he'll be headed to not on the in the south. None of his top 3 are on that list so I think he might want to give those 3 schools more of an in-depth visit.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+2 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Of course, losing Gibson is/was everybody's biggest fear from the beginning, but Urban will get a QB one way or another. I don't think it's Wimbush either.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Gibson is/was everybody's biggest fear

Not mine. I want Gibson to be a Buckeye, but it won't be devastating to me if he's not.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

HilltopHustle's picture

I understand your point, but it'd be easier to get over if we were leading for anybody else at QB.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

No doubt.  Some strong gibson brainwashing around here.  He's a crazy athlete and has potential as a QB, but by NO MEANS is he even close to a sure thing.  His biggest asset for now is that he can scramble and make something happen with his legs after a play breaks down...how far has that got us in the last 4 years?  I want a QB who can make his reads get the ball out of his hand with quick and accurate throws.

Calgarybuck's picture

He also said he's going to be making trips this summer as well, I doubt he makes it to Oklahoma...Knight's their starter another 2-3 years..

ab1993's picture

First of all, he just named OSU, Miami and Tennessee his favorites yesterday. Cool it with the comments of "he doesn't like us anymore". I am still 95% sure we land him.

Second, I'd rather have Kyler Murray in all honestly, even though probably more of a stretch to get, and Lorenzo Nunez is a very good prospect as well. Stop paying so much attention to rankings. Urban's gonna get who he thinks is the right talent to play for the S&G.

Class of '16

+1 HS

Any insider info to backup that 95% sure he'll be a buck claim? Or is that just more useless conjecture?

edit: "Class of '16"....mystery solved

ab1993's picture

Basically a useless conjecture haha

Class of '16

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Just my opinion...  I honestly think we need to push a little harder for Wimbush and some other QBs.  We need an elite QB in this class and putting our eggs into one basket and going all out for Gibson isn't the best option.  Plus, I don't like the fact that he has been moved from QB to WR at some camps because he has struggled.  I understand most of the camps are 7 on 7 but that lets me know he doesn't throw it all that well and is probably more of an ATH playing QB than a true QB.  

+5 HS
Woodshed's picture

He is an ATH playing QB.

no doubt about it.

+2 HS
Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

Completely agree.  I love Braxton, but that's what we have now and we are continually talking about our QB not being able to read coverages and go through progressions.  We need a pure QB who can make plays with his legs.

+2 HS
MikeEagleBuckeye's picture

That's what Urban called Braxton when he first arrived in Columbus.  I wouldn't worry about his throwing so much as his potential.  He'll have a few years to sit behind Barrett before he's the starter, most likely.  We don't need him to come in and be the starter from day one.

BuckeyeJ's picture

I agree! He will sit behind Jt and will learn. And that is a great thing to have. I want Gibson if the coaches want him and he wants to become a better passer. He must have a high cealing if everyone wants him. I also feel the coaches have reached out to several top qbs and some under the radar so we will be in good shape. 

I think I need a grey box!!!!!!

ab1993's picture

I agree with you and the guy who replied to you. Landing Wimbush would also give us a great chance with Fitzpatrick who I really want as well. I would go with Wimbush, Murray or Nunez over Gibson honestly. He reminds me a little bit of Denard Robinson in that he was listed as a DB in high school, but was intent on playing QB and we all know how he turned out. Not saying Torrance Gibson can't grow into a great QB, but I think his ceiling at WR would be much higher than at QB.

Class of '16

HilltopHustle's picture

We're on the same page.

HilltopHustle's picture

This is my fear as well: WR playing QB. Granted, Gibson is a game-changing player who will wreck havoc, but is this fan base mentally prepared for another four years of errant throws and up-and-down games? There will be growing pains with any QB, but what about one that's probably a top-tier WR trying to play QB? Sure, it can work, but 2015 will have its painful moments.

As for Wimbush, social media is working against us a bit. Our fans who tweet recruits (ugh!) are Gibson this and Gibson that, and Wimbush is quite aware (Penn State and Miami fans are making sure of it). Wimbush has cooled. Like you said, we've bred grounds for the "Gibson or bust" mentality—most, if not all, of our eggs are in that proverbial basket. I want Gibson too, make no mistakes, but we should all be prepared for a second option. And we'll get somebody.

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Completely agree.  We need a QB who can make his reads get the ball out of his hand with quick and accurate throws.  If he can run a little that's fine but that shouldn't be the main threat.

JTACbuckeye's picture

I think we need to recruit both styles of qb (dual threat and traditional)...  I hate throwing all of our eggs in one proverbial basket!

The strong will stand, the weak will fall by the wayside.  100% and then some!

otrain2416's picture

Best delusional UT comment 

Seattle Linga's picture

He'll visit - I am not worried 

Jbucks's picture

its not that TG isnt visiting that bothers me its that our class is so small right now and without that one guy that is our voice to recruits that were missing right now and that could huirt us in the long run, that is what bothers me

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

SilverState's picture