Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Christian Kirk Commitment or Long Recruitment?

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture
February 27, 2014 at 11:31am
39 Comments

Christian Kirk is on his way into town and I was wondering if this is a kid who could commit soon or will he have a long recruitment?

dvalentine7's picture

He said wherever he felt most comfortable at  he would commit to during the visit I believe is what he said plus he wants to enroll early 

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

That would be big if he commits to us during his visit today

-1 HS

Any idea of how many visits he has already taken?

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Been to USC, UCLA - was supposed to visit Oregon last weekend but had to cancel, will likely rearrange that trip. Arrives at Ohio State tonight and leaves Sunday.

razrback16's picture

A kid that highly ranked is probably going to take some more visits I would think. Hopefully he ends up choosing the good guys in the end, though.

+3 HS
TCOB_6's picture

Without knowing what school he definitely wants to visit and/or what schools he has already visited, I don't expect a commitment this weekend. It would be a welcomed surprise, but it's still really early in the recruiting world for the class.

In Birm's article from a few weeks back, Kirk said he wanted to visit UCLA, USC, and Oregon in the spring.  Hopefully we get an official visit this fall during football season. 

buckguyfan1's picture

Can we get a Gray Box?!

+5 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Thanks Unky, I needed that. 

Gray Box's picture

+1 Unky Buck, I love that pic! It looks oddly familiar...

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

He's got to take more visits

FROMTHE18's picture

its only been a few weeks since NSD, so in terms of a more immediate timeline, its going to be long as hell…but in terms of the great calendar that is recruiting season, I think it'll be a moderately lengthened recruitment. Summer time is when I'd start to really dive into visits, visit scheduling, camps, offers, etc. etc. Urbs will make us smile on NSD 2015, no doubt. 

He is not a kid who will wait "too" long, because he's an early-enrollee. Would not be surprised to see him committed by this summer to someone.

millertime2011's picture

What are your thoughts on where we are with him? Obviously traveling all the way to ohio to only visit OSU is huge, but are we a "top 5 so we're getting a trip to cover all of the bases" or could we jump to be a favorite if we blow him away?

+1 HS
TCOB_6's picture

I would imagine any school he's willing to travel to visit has the potential to "jump to be a favorite if we blow him away". I doubt he just has nothing better to do than to travel to Ohio from Arizona unless it's a serious potential "destination".

You don't leave Arizona  - where I am right now, where it's 75 degrees and perfect outside - in February to make a cross-country visit to Ohio State unless you're very interested in what they are offering you. Ohio State has Kirk inside of a very elite and important group of WR prospects, which means they'll be working this one full-time. When that happens with Urban Meyer and Zach Smith, I like the Buckeyes' chances. Concerns with Kirk for me would be how easily swayed he is by others who will tell him that OSU has too much depth at his position.

m5987usus's picture

Jeremy you are by far and away the best at what you do.  (Of course when i say Jeremy i mean jordan also)

O-H!

I appreciate that.

(Your check is in the mail.)

laishley15's picture

Great insight as always.  Hopefully he is confident enough about his abilities to not be turned away by depth.  I believe in your article that it said coach Smith stated he would be used like Philly Brown rather then the Wilson or Samuel.  After this year OSU will not have very much proven depth at true WR position in my opinion. 

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

My guess is a guy like Kirk wants to see what QB is going to be throwing his way.  I think getting Gibson or feeling Gibson a lean could help Buckeyes land guys like Kirk

Seattle Linga's picture

My sources are telling me to "ask again later"

+6 HS

I'll say this - a potential snowstorm dropping 6-to-12 inches of snow and ice on Columbus this weekend will give Kirk a pretty good idea if he'd be able to handle what Columbus winters have to offer.

m5987usus's picture

Are you providing updates when you can or after the visit as part of your Sunday recruiting update?

O-H!

+1 HS

He won't be back until Sunday night, and because of the basketball game on Sunday my weekend piece will actually run Saturday this week. I am hoping to get out to see Christian next week and do a video interview about the visit for Tuesday night, but if I can't do that I will try and get something written up ASAP Sunday night or Monday morning. Don't want to bug the kid too much after a long day of traveling, especially with storms coming in that travel could be precarious.

Seattle Linga's picture

I feel so left out here in Seattle with it being 55 and sunny - not wait - STRIKE THAT LAST COMMENT

+2 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

And San Jose is a pleasant 65 and mostly cloudy. Im hearing horror stories out of Cleveland. I don't miss the winters. 

MN Buckeye's picture

At least he will enjoy February winter in Columbus and not Minnesota; -12 this morning with -30 wind chill. 

+1 HS
TCOB_6's picture

It wasn't all that long ago that he could have got that here in Ohio.

Seattle Linga's picture

Minny - I hope you have a nice high paying JOB cause it would take a lot for me to move back to that weather. I was so So tired of the longggggggggggggggggggg winters.

Seattle Linga's picture

We average between 1 and 2 inches a year here - I can live with that..........

+1 HS
Gray Box's picture

Here's a pic of Kirk on his visit:

Kirk

+4 HS
m5987usus's picture

He does look like a boss in the scarlet and grey

O-H!

+1 HS
Ericgobucks's picture

That's a pretty serious smile. He definitely likes Ohio State and looks pretty pumped to be wearing the jersey. I know I would be. 

+1 HS
BiElEmAsDoUbLeChIn's picture

This has the same feeling as Samuel recruiting process from last year! I'm thinking this kid is who urban wants the most at the wr/ath position! And we all know how that ended!! 

Gray Box's picture

Some good news: 

+2 HS

Buckeyes have done - as expected - a pretty bang up job during Kirk's visit. He and his family are "very impressed." They fly back to Phoenix tomorrow morning.

Gray Box's picture
+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

We really need another great grey box. Hopefully he is a leader and will get out and get some more to the good guys