Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Something I didn't know about Teddy Ginn

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture
February 23, 2014 at 2:34pm
17 Comments

Yes, he was one of the best receivers to ever wear the Scarlet & Gray, and probably one of the top 5 best returnmen in the history of college football, but...

I didn't know he was a DB coming out of high school:

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=413426

Thank goodness Coach Tressel & staff put him on the other side of the ball!

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I didn't know he was a DB coming out of high school:

I thought everyone knew that.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+7 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

They did, when it was relevant.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+2 HS

Around here, Ted Ginn is always relevant.

QB option: ride & decide.

+3 HS
FitzBuck's picture

I still wonder if he would have been better as a DB, kick returner and part time offensive player.  His route running and hands were never elite but everything else about him was special.

Fitzbuck

Toledo - Ohio's right armpit 

"A troll by any other name is still a troll". 

+2 HS

DBs at the next levels after high school require the quickness with fluid hips...Teddy is more straight-line speed.

QB option: ride & decide.

+1 HS
BuckGnome's picture

I always wondered the same thing.  When he was being recruited, I remember people saying he was going to be a more explosive version of Chris Gamble.

Still, I'm pretty okay with how everything turned out. :-)

+1 HS
Phillips.449's picture

Except for the freaking ankle situation after the NC return!  I still get sick thinking about that celebration!

+1 HS
BuckNut51's picture

This just brought back painful memories that I have tried to erase from my mind for years. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Most great players in High School play on both sides of the ball - but thanks for sharing

+2 HS
otrain2416's picture

Hmmm Lattimore happens to be a DB, from Glenville with the potential to play WR 

Seattle Linga's picture

and QB and right tackle and punter and special teams - the list is endless. HAHA

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I think you're confusing Lattimore with Jabrill.

Jalapeno would be the #1 overall pick if he were eligible.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

ab1993's picture

Keep him at DB, we have so much depth at WR and much more need at DB

Class of '16

dwcbuckeye's picture

He was actually USA Today's Defensive player of the year as a senior

+1 HS
MassiveAttack's picture

Surprised you didn't know, it wasn't a secret.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Ginn,_Jr.

Ginn played for his father, Ted Ginn, Sr., in high school at Glenville High School in Cleveland, Ohio, where he played defensive back, quarterback and wide receiver. Ginn, Jr. was selected as the 2004 USA Today Defensive Player of the Year, a 2004 Parade All-American, and named the 2004 SuperPrep National Defensive Player of the Year. He also participated in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl as a member of the East team, along with former Dolphins teammates Ryan Baker and Chad Henne,[1] and was named the Most Valuable Player of the game.

Ginn intercepted eight passes as a senior, returning five of them for touchdowns. One of his interception returns went for a state-record 102-yard touchdown, while another went for a 98-yard score.

2005 Spring Game quote:

http://danwismar.com/2005/04/

The surprise of the day was Ted Ginn Jr. getting some time at cornerback, especially in the Red Zone. He played about 5-6 plays at CB, and I don't believe he had more than one pass thrown in his area. After the game Coach Tressel was quoted as saying "That's something he has the capability of doing. One way or another, we're going to get comfortable at that position." Ginn or no Ginn, I'm comfortable based on what I saw yesterday

Somewhere there is a quote from Ted Ginn, Sr which said something link [sic] "Coach Tressel is not getting his money's worth, as Ted Jr. was is an excellent cornerback."

Gray Box's picture

For anyone that watched the star studded 2004 Army All-American Bowl (which included Adrian Peterson) saw Ginn on defense and if I remember correctly, they were touting him as the #1 DB in the country: 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for posting that video - Another OSU beat down on the TUN 

Ginn >>>>>> Arrington