Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Ben Edwards

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
February 22, 2014 at 1:53pm
32 Comments

Not a major surprise, despite his assertion to the contrary, but LGHL is reporting that Ben Edwards is deciding to take a few visits and that he's a "soft commitment" to Ohio State at this time. Anytime a player from Florida commits this early, it's almost a certainty that they will visit other schools, so essentially the Buckeyes were his "favorite," but nonetheless. The school to really be concerned about here is Auburn, whom many people believed Edwards favored when he surprised people by picking the Buckeyes just about two weeks ago.

The announcement comes on the heels of Edwards visiting UCF with his 7-on-7 teammates this weekend. 

FROMTHE18's picture

nothing to worry about, its only been a few weeks since signing day, long way to go

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

It's so early. Best of luck to him with his decision. Hope he stays.

cpewster's picture

I hope he stays and brings two of his teammates with him.

Si vis pacem parabellum.

otrain2416's picture

That's why its crazy to me guys committing this early unless its a Danny Clark situation and its your dream offer . Take all your visits, do your research, and when you find the school that best fits you give the verbal. 

+3 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Yeah, kids who commit that early from out of state, & say the process is over isn't something I would take super seriously. Hopefully he's a Buckeye in the end, but it's way early to get too riled up over recruiting for 2015. There will be de-commits & plenty of surprises along the way. I'm still just psyched about how the 2014 class turned out.

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

Silver Bullet 10's picture

When will he visit Ohio State?

-1 HS
m5987usus's picture

As Urb said, when a kid commits to your school it only means your in his top three.

O-H!

+3 HS
BullCityBuckeye's picture

Still early and no worries.  I hope he picks the good guys on NSD.  However, the team only truly benefits if a young man *chooses* to come to Ohio State (i.e., the player's heart is all in 100%).  Thus, in the end, everything works out for all parties involved.  At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night;-)  Good luck to Mr. Edwards no matter where he ends up.  Go Buckeyes!

buckguyfan1's picture

He needs to look to be sure.  He's a big hitter I hope he sticks. 

+1 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

So he didn't decommit?

O'Deez330
stark county football

route4buckeye's picture

He's still committed. Soft though ;)

+1 HS
Edincostarica's picture

A lot of guys do this. Remember Eze's recruitment last year?

-1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Not anything like it. Elliot committed in April and took a visit towards Signing Day to Mizzou because he is a legacy and his parents wanted him to be sure of his decision.

+2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Some kids commit early and want to be leaders who help recruit the rest of the class, but the majority of kids want to do this right here. Hopefully it works out but this has a Elemenore feel to it.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

MN Buckeye's picture

This is just fine. If OSU is the place for him, this is where he will end up. 

KBonay's picture

'Don't worry, I got this'

+2 HS
WoodyTresselUrban's picture

(Please don't be the next Lawrence Marshall, please don't be the next Lawrence Marshall)...

Ahh Saturday's picture

If Ben Edwards is the next Lawrence Marshall, just sit back and wait for Urban to bring in the next Jalyn Holmes. 

+11 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I really like this kid. He hits HARD. Hope he will still be a Buckeye at the end. 

Kevin Toliver is visiting Ohio State. These kids talk all the time. They're going to take visits, but keep their foot in the door of their favorite school. Edwards is a soft verbal (which is very good) to Ohio State, and Toliver is a soft verbal to LSU, and Derwin James is a soft verbal to FSU. Recruiting in the state of Florida will be wild this year. I expect many more soft verbals. Honestly, I think it could be a good thing.

Gray Box's picture

Ben Edwards and Damien McGhee at UCF for Pro Impact earlier today: 

UCF

-1 HS
Gray Box's picture

For anyone that doesn't know Damien McGhee (pictured above with Ben Edwards), he's a 2016 | 6'2" | 170lbs | WR out of Jacksonville, FL who is already being dubbed as, "The Next Michael Irvin". It should only be a good thing for Ohio State that he and Edwards seem to have a formed a good bond at the UCF 7-on-7.

Damien McGhee - 2016 | FL | WR | Highlights: 

Gray Box's picture
+11 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Seems like a great kid, and one hell of a football player. He'll be a great Buckeye.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

You didn't charge $20 for this information, so I don't believe that it's true.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
Gray Box's picture
+7 HS

I'm getting sick of this "premium" info that is nothing but bull. Too many words get twisted so websites can get those clicks. These reporters need to quit putting words in these kids' mouths.

+5 HS
Mortc15's picture

I've read about 5 different players being 'tough' to get because they're liking Auburn too. College football is truly a 'what have you done lately' sport. A NCG appearance and every major recruit puts them at the top of the board. The Bucks are going to get to that step and VERY soon, and already are at the step for a lot of players who truly understand how great OSU can be in the very near future.

Buck-I4Life

kicks's picture

NVM, seen it was already posted.

+1 HS
One Bad Buckeye's picture

Relieved to hear it Ben is solid to the Buckeyes!

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

Seattle Linga's picture

Thanks for updating Buckeye Nation with the re-tweets Gray Box

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Gray box you are the sizzle

O-H!

+1 HS