Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Does anyone see Brandon Wimbush in this class?

Silver Bullet 10's picture
February 17, 2014 at 11:14am
29 Comments

I have my doubts that he would be willing to be a second quarterback in our class. I believe he is an elite prospect and will be "the man" at the school he chooses. Gibson is our #1 target and he won't announce until signing day. If we put all our eggs in one basket we might be left with no one in this class. I think Meyer will try to secure a commitment early from Gibson. If he fails, me may keep the back door open for a commitment from someone else. What do you guys think?

m5987usus's picture

I Completley agree with this I think torrance gibson is 1 and wimbush Nunez and another qb are 2 a b c IMO 

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

its still february…anything can happen so I'm not going to speculate on this until we get a commitment from another QB first.

Unky Buck's picture

This class is already a failure! The staff can't recruit!

+5 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

No inside info, but the only thing I would add to this post is that the fact that Gibson says he won't commit until close to signing day does not mean that he won't commit much, much sooner.

+1 HS
Statutoryglory's picture

I think Wimbush lands with PSU.  Franklin has him as his top target.  I think we land Gibson and if we take a 2nd QB, its a less heralded midwest kid assuming we have room at the end of this small class.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

PSU is finally poised to recruit a very good class.  The program was moribund under the zombie regime of Paterno, and though BOB recruited well, he had to do it under the cloud of scandal and sanctions.  Franklin is just what PSU needs, and my guess is that they end up with at least a top 15 class, maybe higher.

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

How many 3 Star former Vandy commits does it take to reach #15?

+2 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Tennessee had like 40 of them to get into the top 10, so by that logic, I'd say 20.

+3 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Franklin is not recruiting at Vandy anymore.  He now has an entire year to build relationships with recruits, and the fact that he got as many flips from Vandy as he did on such short notice is a testament to his ability to connect with recruits and build relationships.  PSU has potential to lure recruits, and Franklin has the ability to reel them in.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

I think I'll wait until Franklin actually brings in a top class I label him as a great recruiter.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I didn't say Franklin was a great recruiter, though he might prove to be.  However, in addition to the Vandy flips, he also managed to hold on to nearly all of BOB's recruits and land 4* receiver Blacknall.  This season he has already brought in two 4* recruits.  It might indeed be too early to call him a great recruiter, but it should be clear to anyone willing to look that he is a  good one. 

chromedomebuck's picture

Don't think Wimbush is in - agree that he will go to PSU and do very well there. Think the staff will wait as long as it takes for Gibson and have a contingency plan in place. They've put lots of QB offers out, especially in the past week or two.

Champions Bleed Scarlet & Gray

+1 HS
Alpo's picture

Agree with the Wimbush to PSU sentiment, though I can't imagine our staff not accepting his commitment, if he wanted to, as in Gibson is the obvious #1 choice. Don't think he comes to OSU in the end but hey it is very early in the process, it'll be interesting o see how things shake out.

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

I agree here.   I think if Wimbush called to commit, they'd accept his commitment.  While Gibson is the top target, passing on Wimbush wouldn't be ideal considering the staff wants to bring in 2 QBs.  

Worst case scenario:  Pass on Wimbush, miss on Gibson

Best case scenario:  Gibson commits on his visit and helps recruit

Possible scenario:  Wimbush commits early, Gibson commits late, Wimbush decommits 

I also think if we take 2 QBs, it will be an upper 4* or 5* guy and an ATH playing QB in high school.  Both would come in as QBs but the top guy would stay as a QB and the ATH could move to WR or DB.  

bull1214's picture

qb's dont usually wait as long as other positions due to #'s. id be surprised if we dont have a qb verbal by june-july.

Mortc15's picture

Gibson has said that but other people feel that he's so high on OSU that he may commit not too long after his visit and start recruiting for the rest of his class. I hope this is what happens instead of waiting until the last month to commit.

Buck-I4Life

teddyballgame's picture

Is Herman a relatively small guy or is Wimbush maybe bigger than reported?  Compare the size of their heads...

BuckeyeNation_330's picture

WImbush is listed at 6'2" and Herman is around 5'11" - 6'.

"Bleed Scarlet, Die Gray"

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

They will all sign with UK!!!!! Heck we all should sign with UK

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I feel he will give us the nod when he visits. Then help recruits to tOSU. Wimbush is Franklins to loose at this point. And i do think we take 2qb in this class if they can. Sounds like they are not putting all the eggs in the basket like they did before. We have offered 7 QB allready

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I'd take him now just to avoid the billion threads about Gibson.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
m5987usus's picture

Does anyone know when torrance is visiting us?

Alpo's picture

I think he said he may come for the spring game with a group of players from Florida. Think it was in the interview he did with Alex over on Bucknuts

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Thanks man appreciate it, lets get that commitment then!

+1 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

This is a good question, and I could see it going a number of different ways. I dont see the staff doing the "Eggs in one basket" thing. Not when it backfired on them last year and we desperately need a QB, but I do think Gibson is #1 on the wishlist. I think the staff will hold off on accepting a commitment until after Gibson's visit, and I think they will push hard for a verbal from Gibson when on that trip. If they get the verbal they want than this topic is moot, if they dont, then I think they likely start pushing hard for the Wimbush's and the Nunez's of the world and would not turn down a commitment from one of them if they phone up Urban and say they want to be the face of the class. I think Gibson gets first crack, but I think we want a QB and we want him relatively soon, so I dont see us turning down another elite QB just so we can sit on Gibson until signing day.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

The staff on here have been pretty adamant that we very well could take 2 QBs. Not sure how that is going to work out. I think Gibson then a project type maybe?

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

PittBuckeye's picture

To me project reads as a reach, I don't think Urb's is going to use a scholly on a reach like that.

-1 HS
Mortc15's picture

A project as the 11th overall player? In some ways you could consider Braxton a project since his throwing still isn't where it needs to be but I'll take that again for 3 or 4 years any time that type of player wants to come.

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Ludwig Yards's picture

The word "project" seems to carry kind of a negative connotation, whether its true in this case or not. Like most HS QBs he likely has a long way to go to get to an even near-finished product but I imagine his ceiling is so high (like Braxton) that he is worth the investment.