Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Recruiting Mailbag Questions...

Jeremy Birmingham's picture
February 14, 2014 at 10:55pm
72 Comments

Let's see 'em. Taking questions now through Sunday night.

BassDropper's picture

How many players in this class realistically?

I know the numbers look small now, but you would have to imagine there will be more than 20

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Give us the 5 most important targets and chances we land each one.  (In your opinion)

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

FitzBuck's picture

Your favorite target to talk to.

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+1 HS
Jeremy Birmingham's picture

Ever or in 2015 or what?

FitzBuck's picture

Ok now I'm going to ask for both.

+2 HS
Alpo's picture

Thinking Meech gotta be high on that list

FitzBuck's picture

% of class from the state of Ohio?

who gets in from Ohio?

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Dang Fitz you beat me by one second LOL

Football is complicated...

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

Great minds.....

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

What are some recruits from Ohio you expect to have a shot?

Football is complicated...

TeddyHeisman's picture

Seems like we are either leading or in the top 2-3 for Baker, Hilliard, Conner, Kilby-Lane, and Holland (not counting DeBerry because I think he will be a DE).

Kilby-Lane could commit this spring. Holland's teammate and BFF just committed. Baker seems like a lock (though growing up a PSU fan is a little concerning). Hilliard is totally up in the air right now. Conner is still waiting on an offer.

What is your way-too-early prediction on how this one could shake out? Could Conner be the odd man out? Maybe Baker ends up at RB? 

Considering the news on Mike Mitchell, I assume they will try to take four-ish LBs. 

-2 HS
LouGroza's picture

In that same thought process, I really like Jeffery Holland at LB. He is as athletic as it gets. Interested in your take on him specifically. He seems to be into OSU but no one has him with interest going there. Crystal ball picks, I know it doesn't mean much, has him choosing Florida (78%) with a few Auburn (22%) picks and that is it. Considering it is very early there is no one with OSU consideration. Can Edwards help to pull him into OSU?

zebiraross's picture

On a scale from 1 to 10 what are the chances of getting Gibson?

Zeb

nrbuckguy's picture

How are you feeling about OSU's chances with Tim Settle and Terry Beckner Jr.?  I saw that you included them in your forecast earlier today, but could you maybe give a few details about how each of their respective recruitments are going? Thanks!

In Urban We Trust

Killer nuts's picture
+2 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Is Chris Ash regarded as an elite recruiter? What territories might he cover?

+3 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

Birm, why does your profile say you created articles called "Liam McCullough is Number Four" and "Damien Harris is Number"? Did they commit?

+2 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I think 11w does the work ahead of time so they're ready to publish asap once a player offically commits.

+1 HS
sharks's picture

How big would Harris be?  Oh man, yoinked right from Michigan...

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

teddyballgame's picture

Who do you think is most likely to be the next big commit? (the longsnapper doesn't count btw)

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

But Longsnappers have feelings too man :( hahahaha

O-H!

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

True, but you know...theres only so much impact a longsnapper can have on a game.  They're basically taken for granted until they screw up somehow and then everyone is like "WHO DID THAT!?".

Crimson's picture

New slogan: "We're stretching!  And you're a longsnapper!"

labuck's picture

Do you think osu will take five o-lineman in this class to provide depth? Also Do Urban an Co. believe in taking only tackles and centers when looking at lineman? Lastly, what region of the country will the staff put most of their attention this year? Why?

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

Damien Harris, Damien Harris, and Damien Harris? No but seriously Damien Harris?!  Thank you birm.

O-H!

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

Isn't he locked to UK now?

+1 HS
toad1204's picture

Only if BassDropper has been trolling the UK boards again.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

How many Linebackers will Ohio State take this year?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

PittBuckeye's picture

Not really recruiting I guess, but anything on Baugh?

ab1993's picture

Suspended indefinitely is the last I heard.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Didn't sound like that would last too long the way Urban talked on NSD.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

ab1993's picture

What'd he say on NSD? Did it look like we were keeping him?

bull1214's picture

which recruits do you see urban personally taking the lead on? im guessing Gibson or kirk if not both.

buckguyfan1's picture

Which coach is the most underrated recruiter in your opinion?  Thanks Birm, threads like these are why I dig 11w.  

buckeye4life050233's picture
  • Chances we get a California player in the '15 class? (if so then who are the top targets from Cali)
  •   Also the chance at landing the No.1 overall prospect? (granted no1 prospects aren't always unanimous by all the scouting services)
+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

On an OV to TOSU, are there any unique places or things that you've heard really wow the recruit... not including the Coombs speech.

Rjr88's picture

Can we get the #1 class?

RJRbuckeye

+1 HS
Rjr88's picture

At what point do recruits start to think about whether Urban might not be around for their 4-5 years?

RJRbuckeye

+2 HS
ITWASME's picture

Are there any recruits you could see us getting that would be deemed as a surprise at the moment?

johnblairgobucks's picture

Has FNLs surpassed the Spring Game, in your opinion, as the current staffs offseason top recruiting event?  It seemd in years past that getting kids to attend the Spring Game was important, now...... Not so much.

BuckeyeNation_330's picture

2 part question:

1.) If we can only take one QB would you rather have T. Gibson or B. Wimbush?

2.) Would landing Wimbush put us into the top 5 for Minkah Fitzpatrick?

"Bleed Scarlet, Die Gray"

+2 HS
ab1993's picture

That's an easy one. Gibson and yes

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Which state does OSU get more players from this year - Ohio or Florida?

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+2 HS

I'm saying Ohio should get 5-8 players from the buckeye state I'm saying 4 from the sunshine state.

bleedscarlet's picture

Better be Ohio......

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

-1 HS
DenBuck's picture

Do you assume 2 RBs and what's the best guess on who they are. Will  we get Harris?

Buckeye For Life

sharks's picture

Even before signing day 2014, some schools had close to ten big name 2015 recruits verbally committed.  Is this a newer trend, and if so, how does the OSU staff adjust and adapt?

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

Having relationships with different coaches in multiple regions, they will let our coaches know if they have talent coming up in their area.  A lot of programs carry multiple 3, 4 and 5 star talent. Like Trinity Christian in Jacksonville, Florida which carries current 15' commit Ben Edwards along with 5* Kevin Toliver (LSU), 4* Ohio State Target Jeffrey Holland and 4* Kendrick Norton (FSU). They had 14' 3* Isiah Ford (VT) and Kavaris Harkless (FL) and have 16' Jalin Buie (AU).

Buckeye_in_SEC_country's picture

1.)  I read there was a new dead period put in place this summer.  How many commits and who do you think we land before the dead period?

2.)  Who is the Kwon McMillan for 2015? Meaning...  Who is the guy the staff will hold a spot for no matter what and recruit the hardest (don't include Gibson unless he is the only guy that fits that spot)?

BUCKEYE_JIM's picture

Do you think we still have a shot with Sosa Jamabo or has recent events change this?

Crimson's picture

I'm sure we're taking a few LBs for 2015.  How many will be MLBs?  By then, we'll only have one on scholarship, and it worries me.  It worries me a lot.  Maybe we don't care as much with so much nickle package?

Also, how do you think the FUBAR new 11W site will affect recruiting?  Personally, I think this means we won't have a Meechy Knox type who commits and gives the exclusive to 11W this year.

+1 HS
Statutoryglory's picture

Are 2 QBs and 2 TEs really that realistic with this class struggling to get to 20 and having to get a LS as well?

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

How many O-Linemen in this class after last year's haul? Does four sound like too many?

Ashtabula's picture

Who are the top JUCO transfers that could help immediately?

+2 HS
kareemabduljacobb's picture

Who do you think will be the top rated recruit we land for this class? 

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

It seemed that early on there was some mutual interest between Shy Tuttle and OSU, but I haven't heard his name in a while. Is OSU still recruiting Tuttle, and if so, what are our chances of landing him?

BABuckeye's picture

Where's the old list of offers by year?

Hovenaut's picture

Want to shift the focus from the recruits to the coaches Birm...how do you see LJSR doing for the 2015 class with a full year on the recruiting trail to work with? Any specific targets he may be assigned to? Appreciate your time, as always.

Hate Week runneth over

KBonay's picture

With multiple QB offers out there, which are truly QB offers vs ATH? Which are commitable right now? And what is your theory on pecking order of those offered?

Per osubucks57:

8. Pro-style: Dwayne Lawson, Dual-threat: Gibson, Stidham, Murray, Nunez, Wimbush, Johnson, and just today, Deondre Francois.

Sebastian's picture

What do bucko mean?...    What is the meaning of life?..    oh and how many Recruits do we take this year?

oregonianbuckeye's picture

What is your take on osu's chances to land Christian Kirk?

+2 HS
thekornidentity's picture

How do you like Ohio State's chances to get the top 2 players in Illinois, Terry Beckner and Natereace Strong?

“Nothing that comes easy in this world is worth a damn.” -Woody Hayes

Ebvine96's picture

Where do you see Malik McDowell end up and when? 

+3 HS
rosycheeks's picture

Here's my question: I'm the guy who doesn't want to follow every little detail of Ohio State recruiting, but I do love me some suspenseful obsessing over the top-notch guys. This year the guy that stands out for me was Raekwon McMillan. Who are the 3-4 guys for next year that I should go all OCD about?

+1 HS
ab1993's picture

How many of this years recruiting class were prospects that we hadn't even heard about at this time last year? Which prospects in the class were we always going after hard?

Just curious how a class (specifically at OSU) at this time of year compares to NSD.

One Bad Buckeye's picture

I guess right now the most important question I think anyone of us can ask is: "Birm?  You okay man?"

"I'm One Bad Buckeye, and I approve this message."

bethesdabuck's picture

Outside of Crawford and (possibly) Hilliard, is Michigan in on any top-level Ohio talent that OSU would like to keep in-state?

Also, what would Baker prefer to play at the next level, RB or LB?

roundtown's picture

Birm, Of all the recruits we are pursuing which ones will commit by summer whether to us or someone else?

BUCKSOMIES's picture

No Question just a simple statement. Birm, your the best man!

Ahh Saturday's picture

DL seems to be a priority for the '15 class.  How many prospects do you think OSU will sign for the DL?  Which prospects do you think are most likely to fill those spots, and which guys are basically pipe dreams?

Ericgobucks's picture

I see our crystal ball for Justin Hiliard is moving slightly our way. I had read that he wasn't a really big fan of Ohio State and that the good guys were "late" developing relationships with him. That info i read was old and just curious what the picture looks like now. What do you know/hear about him and the likelihood we get him. I know it's only one kid, I just hate seeing the #1 player in the state go elsewhere, especially not UofM.