Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Malik McDowell to take more visits

bishop072's picture
February 10, 2014 at 8:10pm
30 Comments

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/95645/malik-mcdowell-to-take-mo...

"McDowell's father, Greg, told Rivals' Josh Hemholdt on Monday that the family plans to take unofficial visits to Florida State and Ohio State in the near future. He also said that Michigan remains in the picture. 

"We plan on doing some unofficials and see if he and his mom can resolve this," Greg McDowell said. "It's possible she'll be open to Michigan State as well, so we'll have to see." "

C'mon Urbz!

bucknut94's picture

We will see what happens. I believe tOSU may be on his list of visits. Hopefully, he and his parents will come to an agreement that is best for everyone.

allbucksallthetime's picture

Thanks for your post.  I am impressed that MM didn't want to do an end-around on his mother and have his father sign a B1G tender to attend MSU as he had hoped to do.  MM wants his mother to be on-board with the decision.  After his mother's reaction to MM's decision to attend MSU on NSD, that, IMO, shows some real maturity on MM's part.  

I hope this works out well for MM and that his family can support his decision, regardless of where he ends up.  Go Bucks!

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

His father can't sign though, only his mother.  She has custody.

allbucksallthetime's picture

That applies only to a letter of intent.  Otherwise, there are a couple of ways that MM can enroll at MSU as a student.  He can enroll as a student after the first day of classes or have his father sign a B1G tender to receive financial aid, which requires a parent signature but doesn't specify if the custodial parent has to sign.  Go Bucks!

+1 HS
seafus26's picture

His first day at whatever school he goes to, with the first friends he makes:

Friend says, "we're going down to the pizza joint and grab a few slices and maybe watch Monday night football, wanna come?

"Cool! That sounds good'" Malik eagerly responds.

Friend snarks, "We'll you better call and ask your mommy, first. Ha!"

Go Bucks and michigan STILL SUCKS!

+3 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Lol maybe.  Then again he is 6'7 300lbs.

Probably best to build up some "friendship cache" before you start those kind of jokes.

+1 HS
jkrk's picture

The rest of the story is that he actually does call his mom and they argue about which pizza place he should be eating at. 

M Man's picture

If he does get pizza, he will want either pepperoni, Italian sausage, ground beef, or double cheese.  No one choice stands out at this time, and there is no order of preference right now.  His mom wants pepperoni, but Malik wants Italian sausage.  His dad thinks it would be better for Malik if he went meatless, because there are long term benefits to vegetarianism and he's got some friends in Detroit and at Southfield High School that have been eating a lot of junk food since Malik was in middle school.

The Detroit News and Free Press will be doing stories on all of the pizza choices in East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Columbus and Tallahassee.  The recruiting services have talked to all of the pizza deliverymen in northwest Detroit.  MGoBlog has a pie chart detailing every pizza topping, broken down by "pickup" or "delivery" in the state of Michigan since 1969.

It is so good that all of my Ohio friends can suffer along with the state of Michigan in the recruitment of Malik McDowell.  I was worried that you would miss out on this.  Salud.

Bloombergl's picture

As much as we'd all be thrilled to have another big time player in this class....  I'm inclined to say best of luck elsewhere, MM.  I'll take a 3 star who'd give anything to be a Buckeye (like Slade committing before visiting) over a 5 star who's not got every ounce committed to bleeding S&G.

+2 HS
Diseased Leg's picture

I love Slade as much as the next guy, but his commitment almost seemed like MSU wasn't going to wait for him to take another visit so he had to commit to OSU

KBonay's picture

Yeah, just like A&M or Baylor will pass on Mike Mitchell because he was a Buckeye first?  Worst logic ever.  Transfers can have successful careers too, regardless of where 'there heart is' at the age of 18.  Cam Newton?  Justin Boren? Joe Flacco? Randy Moss? Troy Aikman?

+5 HS
bucknut94's picture

I'm not judging Malik's Mother. She knows more than we do about what is going on in his life. She may have some valid reasons why she doesn't want Malik to go to MSU or UM.

M Man's picture

Mom wants Malik to go to Michigan.  Mom's not unsure.  

Mom doesn't want Malik to go to MSU because she is suspicious of the off field atmosphere in East Lansing.  And because something happened at Malik's official visit to MSU that she has said bothered her very much, although she hasn't detailed what it was.

Brunner32's picture

She does have valid reasons why she wants her son away from MSU and his friends.  Taking a 17 year to the strip club and other parties didn't sit well with her.  Then hearing DC tell Malik he needs to make his own decisions and pressure him to commit.  She now hates that school and the coaches.

+2 HS
Brunner32's picture

Diseased Leg- that's exactly what happened

Diseased Leg's picture

So we're all saying that we'd rather have someone like slade because he wants to be a buckeye, when he actually committed because he had no other options at the time....

-1 HS
BuckSince79's picture

I wouldn't say he ran out of options.  He had 12 or so offers and could of reopened communication with several of those schools if he had chosen to. He technically could of dragged out his search like MM for another month or so. I'm pretty sure Rutgers (De-commitment U), WVU or possibly BC would of gladly accepted his commitment.  MSU gave him an ultimatum - sign or look for another school.  All Slade had to know about tOSU was LJ Sr. was now the new D-Line coach.  Their relationship was several years in the making and it just so happened that tOSU had an available scholly to offer.  Coaches, especially position coaches, are a tremendous influence on a prospective recruit these days.  Take Vrabel leaving and the sudden urge for Jamarco to visit MSU as an example.  Overall, Urban liked what he saw on film and with LJ Sr.'s track record of finding hidden gems and developing them into NFL caliber players, the stars just happened to align perfectly.  With all the out of state talent we have been collecting, we as fans have to adjust to the fact that not all of our commitments have been brought up to HATE the school up north or bleed Scarlet and Grey since they were able to walk and talk.  Just the new national recruiting philosophy being applied by Urban.  The pros heavily out weigh any cons at this point and constant Top 5 or better classes will continue to yield success on the field.

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

I agree! I feel that Slade is a great get! From what we have seen in recruiting Meyer and the staff won't offer just anyone. LJ sees upside to this kid, has known him since he was in 8th grade plus coached his cousins. And with Pantoni also having veto power they must have seen upside 

+1 HS
Maceyko's picture

I never get it when people say, "I don't want him because he doesn't want to be here."  He never said that he didn't want to be at OSU.  He just decided that he wanted to be at MSU more than any place else at this moment in time and in this situation it's probably to stay close to home and his friends - which mom doesn't want.  That does not mean that IF he came to Ohio State he wouldn't put his heart and soul into the game that he obviously loves.  You just can't really read a young man who is still trying to figure out his path in life.  I know mine took a hundred turns between 18-30!  I wish him the best either way but if he comes to OSU then great.

+5 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

For Christ sakes the kid said he didn't know which college he wanted to attend until 2 weeks before signing day.As much as we want to believe every kid coming here grew up a huge fan and bleeds s&g like Meech it just isn't realistic. This is a life changing business decision for the recruit and just 1 out of 85 slot for the schools. If him and Mom visit here and he suddenly feels like this is the place to better himself for the next 4 years we should welcome him with open arms.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
albinomosquito's picture

I just hope he ends up somewhere that he wants to be, and not where mom wants him to be.  I'd love to see him in S&G but only if it was his choice.  You only get 4 years of college (or 5 if you're lucky {not including masters}), I hope he spends it on a campus where he can truly enjoy it.

+3 HS
bucknut94's picture

It should be a family decision. As a parent, I want what is best for my kids. Who knows what is going on behind the scenes? Malik's mother knows much more than I do about the circumstances in his life. I will save my judgment of the family when I know more about the mother's concerns. She evidently is greatly worried about him attending MSU and staying in-state for reasons she isn't sharing. As a parent, she will continue to be involved in his life. "Once a parent---always a parent". His mother discussing her reasons that she is against Malik attending MSU may open a can of worms for the family and others.

+2 HS
gumtape's picture

I have been trolling the Detroit Free Press to see what the Michigan people are saying. The Best of the Worst:

Ronald B. Morgan · Top Commenter
The only logical explanation for the mother's behavior (and her vague, nondescriptive reasoning) is that she is shopping for a booster from one of the other schools to step up and give her an advance on that NFL salary. I can see no other explanation for her behavior. She has offered no other credible explanation for her disdain for MSU.

http://www.freep.com/comments/article/20140210/SPORTS07/302100093/malik-mcdowell-michigan-state-ohio-florida

Most of the fans are saying the right things: I hope he is successful wherever he ends up, some want to pull his offer (what?!?).

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+2 HS
ronbizi's picture

some want to pull his offer (what?!?).

Unbelievable.  Some people actually would want a university to pull an offer of free education to a high school kid because of indecision.  That's delusional and shows a complete lack of empathy.

M Man's picture

Going to the Free Press can cause brain damage.

Going to the Free Press "comments" section can make you a carrier, and a danger to those around you.

You have been warned.

buckfeet's picture

I hope he doesnt end up with us the good guys.  Before NSD he visited us, I dont like how he just dissappeared while coach Coombs doing his speech.  Very disrespectful. He also had his long face looks for the duration of the video.  And how he doesnt know a thing about Archie Griffin really bothers me.  I tell you, photographs/videos sometimes can tell if recruits really want to become a buckeye or not.  Just find mike gesicki pics.

KBonay's picture

And you got all that from a 2 minute video clip posted on the internet? Incredible that those recruiting him for the past year didn't catch those 'signs'. 

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Go Get - em URBS - you're up 

bethmowins's picture
buckfeet's picture

It's time for Meechy to kick his behind for the next 4 years.

+2 HS