Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

For anyone else who just keeps staring at Malik McDowell like a train wreck

PittBuckeye's picture
February 7, 2014 at 10:08am
47 Comments
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I kinda feel for Malik.  What a train wreck.  This is supposed to be one of the happiest moments of his life up to this point.  He has worked his arse off from a majority of his life to EARN his spot and now (it sounds like) his mother is making it an absolute debacle.

Not approving or agreeing with his decision is one things as a parent...but this is picking a college not a gang or some other terribly stupid choice.  It's not about you (Mailiks mom)...Sparty is a solid school with a solid coach...Ohio State is better, but just saying, its a college choice, not really a wrong move any school he had on his list.

+5 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Spot on! Sad that he wants to go where he wants to go & getting that type of push back. It's major B1G university...how bad can it be?

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+4 HS
Earle's picture

Think about your child attending Michigan, then ask the question again.

Italics are for emphasis.

+11 HS
ohst8buxCP's picture

My Dad always said growing up if I went to Michigan he'd be excited for me but he would refuse to write the check. My mom would have to do it instead.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

If my child wanted to attend Michigan, I'd be extremely happy, because Michigan is a fantastic school. I'd rather have my kid be an Ohio State legacy, but you don't get pissy about your kid going to a school that good. And of course, I'd still be a diehard Buckeye fan.

Of course, if I had a son who accepted an offer to play football at UM, I'd probably switch allegiances, because parents are supposed to be supportive.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+2 HS
Earle's picture

Mr. Spielman disagrees, but yeah, it was a joke.

Italics are for emphasis.

+10 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I figured it was a joke Earle, you know, because you said it!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
tae1986's picture

I think it is not fair for us to calling out his mom without knowing the whole story.

I believe she favored _ichigan early in the process so it's not like she wants Malik to go to her favorite school.

If what I read/heard are true, I feel like MSU coaching staff mishandled the situation.

They should have put more effort to convince his mom that they will direct him to right path. Instead, they went behind her back and disregard all her concerns. (I'm not saying that's what they did, but according to rumors, it seems like that is the case)

If I was in her shoes and saw how MSU coaches handled the whole situation, it will raise even bigger red flags for me too.

(Again, if the rumors are true) MSU coaches can only blame themselves for this one.

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

+7 HS
BuckGnome's picture

You know, maybe mom does have legit reasons to not want her son to go to MSU.

However, she chose to drag what should be closed-door, family business into the public, where it absolutely doesn't belong.  She's aired the family's laundry on radio stations, and even gotten in public arguments on Twitter and Facebook over where she thinks is best for her son to be, and where not.  By the looks of things, her biggest concern seems to be getting herself attention.  Her judgement seems questionable at best.

So I find it difficult to give her the benefit of the doubt on this.  I fondly remember Coach Dantonio when he was our DC, and just about everything I've heard about him at MSU has been positive.  This is the same coach who suspended his #1 player on defense right before the Rose Bowl for violation of team rules.  Dantonio has demonstrated he's not afraid to discipline his players should the need arise, even his stars.  And if called for, he'll make an example of them.

I feel bad for McDowell.  This should be a celebratory moment in the young man's life, and instead he's being forced to endure a public tantrum by his petulant mother.

+4 HS
tae1986's picture

I do agree with you that she should have kept family business private. She must be regretting taking things public since she's getting much crap from multiple fan bases and college football fans in general.

I also agree with you about Coach Dantonio's way to discipline his players. However, from what I heard, one of the host telling Malik that they do not have to show up for classes, or his assistant coach going behind Malik's mom, etc. Coach Dantonio could have pay more attention to details.

With that said, yes, this whole situation is a mess and feel really bad for Malik. He's in lose-lose situation. If he goes to MSU, everyone knows he went against his parents and perhaps took an easy/comfortable route, in other hand, if he goes to somewhere else (tOSU, FSU), people will know he does not want to be there. Hope this situation clears up as soon as possible.  It will be the best for all parties involved, including us, tOSU fans

+1 HS
timtom's picture

From what I understand, Dantonio had no choice in the suspension of Bullough.  The Big 10 suspended him for failing a drug test at the Big 10 championship game.

timtom

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

I'm not one to claim 'inside sources' but I have heard from someone I trust that Bullough was addicted to Vicodin.  And the 'failed' test was that.

tae1986's picture

I'm not a doctor but Vicodin is type of a painkiller right? Hm being a LB, it kind of makes sense.

Hope he can get drafted by Denver or Seattle so soon he can use more natural painkillers.

(I personally think NFL will be forced to adopt what's happening in the U.S. and let players use green sooner than later, especially in state of Colorado and Washington. But then again, if NFL only let players from those two states use green, other teams will want to challenge the ruling for fair competition, therefore NFL will be free green zone! Wishful thinking??)

TheBadOwl's picture

I don't believe anything that I read unless it comes from a very credible source. Hell, that rumor about the fight between Vrabel and Meyer was the dumbest thing I've ever seen and a few people absolutely ate that up.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+3 HS
Oyster's picture

I realize it is not all him and not all his parents, but a combination of both.  All I will say is, no team needs the drama that this type of situation brings.  Nothing good will come of this no matter where he goes to school, because somebody will always be unhappy with the decision.  It has the possibility of bleeding over to the locker room and effecting other players and staff too.  Mom sniping at coaches at MSU, MM sniping at coaches at a school he would rather not be playing at.  Lose, Lose.

May you R.I.P. Otsego, but know this. Gaylord Rocks!

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I believe in letting your children learn from their mistakes. But there are some mistakes that are such huge factors in your future that it takes a good caring parent to step in before those mistakes are made and there is no turning back. We do not know the whole story here but if Malik already has some very bad influences waiting for him at MSU and at home waiting to follow him to MSU then yes it might actually be a life altering event and imperative that he gets as far away from those people as possible. I have seen parents spend tens of thousands of dollars to get their child into private school and away from very bad influential friends. Couple years later those close friends OD and died or wound up in prison for years and it makes those tens of thousands look like pocket change. I will not argue you can find trouble anywhere you go and there is a lot of it down on OSU campus too. But if you are a prying parent and want the very best for him would you let him go to a college where he has an already established set of very bad people just waiting on him? What if she overseen a email where Malik was telling a friend how great his visit to MSU was because they went to the strip clubs and smoked some of the best weed and all the players had 22's on their old schools. What if the same email said that the players have cush jobs on campus they do not even show up to and all they have to do is sign in their class then walk out. I do not think its fair to criticize the Mother yet at all. Whatever their reason is THEY know their child better then anyone else outside the situation and she might just be saving his whole future and career.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+9 HS
irishfury's picture

I feel bad for Malik but like other posters said its really hard to draw any conclusion unless we have all the facts.  

I know one thing though if my Grandmother who raised me spoke out and didn't want to go somewhere and then that fan based attack my grandmother.  That fan base would be dead to me.  Even if it would be my fav school growing up.  Good thing my grandmother loved OSU and is the reason I'm a fan today. 

+5 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Normally I'd agree, but twitter and what not isn't a fair representation of a fan base. Every team has moron fans who troll high school kids, and their family/friends on twitter. Just have to ignore it.

+2 HS
oregonianbuckeye's picture

FWIW- TOS is saying that MM's family is going to try and have this resolved by Monday. His Dad is not his legal guardian, so the Mom has to sign. MM still wants sparty, Mom wants FSU or OSU, and Dad wants OSU (but seems more open to caving on the MSU thing). 

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Dad seems very open to caving (or letting his son have what his son wants) mom is not on board with that plan at all.

Quick article by Miles, no real revelations here either, but it's the most optimism on him ending up at OSU that I've seen recently.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/2/8/5392116/ohio-state-recruiting-...

+3 HS
KBonay's picture

I wouldn't mind Mom, Dad & MM all wearing scarlet & gray. While agree about the distraction/drama in the locker room, I think that would only pertain to MSU if he is to end up there. 

teddyballgame's picture

if he hypothetically "came around" and said he would like to be a buckeye now....would we still take him?  can we?

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I read Ohio State could take one more. Not sure if that's true. I wouldn't turn him away.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

same, but i think we got enough for the dline, give malik to warriner

tracyre's picture

haha.  that was good.

-1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Could see Warriner and Larry Johnson sr. having some nice discussions over who is going to coach the young man if he was to come around.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

skid21's picture

This isn't going to end well for someone in the McDowell family. I hope Malik gets his way. In the end it is his life, for better or worse.

allinosu's picture

I posted before signing day he MIGHT be a problem. I listened to his mother tell her side of the story and is nothing but thinking of Malik. She said he feels entitled now that all the coaches have told him how great he is and he will take the easy way out.(not going to class was not said but was hinted at) She wants him to get his diploma and she felt at MSU that was in jeopardy. She insisted that at OSU or FSU had a better track record of getting him to the NFL if that was his goal and feeling comfortable meant partying with his friend. She did her homework and shot the announcers with a few facts when they insisted that MSU was better for the NFL.

+2 HS
rdubs's picture

Looks like he might take some visits, likely including OSU.  

BuckGnome's picture

What mess.

"I know he is open to taking some unofficials to Florida State and Ohio State," Greg McDowell, Malik's father, told Rivals.com's Josh Helmholdt. "We plan on doing some unofficials and see if he and his mom can resolve this. It's possible she'll be open to Michigan State as well, so we'll have to see."  Link

This kid's recruitment has been an endless dumpster fire, and it continues to burn.

BassDropper's picture

Buckeye. There's no way this kid stays with Michigan State after being forced to take his visits. I feel bad for the kid. It appears his mother is "trying" to look out for his best interest, but what she is doing right now could mess the kids life up. Could you imagine being 17/18 years old and have such a public, national embarrassment? When I was his age I was embarrassed if one of my friends saw my mom drop me off at school. I couldn't imagine going through what he is at that age. To be honest, I'd rather he stick at MSU. The way this recruitment played out just screams "train wreck waiting to happen" to me. I would hope to be wrong and obviously root for Malik once he got to Ohio State. If I'm not mistaken, his mother had a problem with Ohio State and Urban Meyer earlier on in the process. It will be interesting to see her role once Malik gets on campus, wherever that may be.

DIRECTIONER

BuckGnome's picture

The mother just seems a bit off.  On one hand, she indicates a problem she has with MSU is that it's too close to home and she's worried her son might still be influenced by a local circle of friends she doesn't care for.  On the other hand, she is fine with Malik going to scUM, even though Ann Arbor is about an hour closer to their hometown than East Lansing.

She's also the one who decided it was a good idea to take this whole family disagreement public.

-1 HS
tracyre's picture

Totally agree.  Ultimately she should be watching out for what is best for her son.  That means honoring and respecting him as a person.  This should have been a strictly behind a closed door matter.   That's protecting him and respecting him.  

I think she's got his best interest at heart theoretically.  But she is completely out of control and just plain wrong.  

When I was his age I was embarrassed if one of my friends saw my mom drop me off at school.

Why? :/

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
razrback16's picture

Kid is a great player. I'm just glad we're still in it and hopefully will be fortunate to land him. If we are, I would imagine once he's on campus with Larry Johnson and co. he'll be in good hands and will eventually be able to let the MSU thing go.

+1 HS
cdkmike's picture

i hope we pass on him i only want people that want be buckeye in there heart

Michael green

-2 HS
Remington2323's picture

Now now don't get your panties in a wad...

+1 HS

Does that mean you would have passed on Spielman ?

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

This logic is great.  I guess we should have passed on Justin Boren too, because he went to Michigan first.  His heart must not have been 'in it' when he was selected 1st team All-Big and 2nd team All American as a Buckeye.  Oh, and he wasn't truly a Buckeye & didn't have any influence over his brothers Zach or Jacoby......

+3 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Different issues in every way.  The entire family supported his decision to go to Michigan first, then his family was in agreement for him to transfer to OSU.  Also there was the coaching change from Carr to RR then too.

I think this is a potential situation where the kid may be forced to go where he doesn't want to be, and therefore less motivated etc.  No matter what, I hope the kid is successful on and off the field.  This is not how you want your college career to start, and I hope they get it worked out.  I think he should end up at MSU, since that is his choice, and at the end of the day it is his life  

741's picture

Mama says alligators are so ornery because they have all those teeth and no toothbrush.

+6 HS
buckeyeinthechi's picture

Did they ever find that gorilla that escaped the zoo and punched you in the eye?

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

+3 HS
crusher's picture

Can you imagine how butt hurt MSU fans will be if he ends up at OSU or FSU? Factor in Slade jumping ship at the last second. It will be a total meltdown

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men

+1 HS
KingOfTheGame's picture

This is my first post - long time reader, first time poster. I think Malik's dad is just as much the problem as anyone. The guy seems like he changes with the weather. First, he is all with Mom and says he wants Malik to go out of state. Then, when Malik says he wants to go to MSU, Dad appears to be ok with that and puts the blame off on Mom. "I'm not the custodial parent..." lol C'mon man. Now, it looks like he is once again not certain in advocating Malik to take unofficial visits. The guy just needs to have an opinion one way or another. If he doesn't, let Mom and Malik make the decision.  

+1 HS
ronbizi's picture

Who knows what his Dad is thinking or going through.  Can't blame anyone unless you know the true, exact, behind-the-scene situation.  It's been nice to see in the Forums that many people have held off on passing judgement.  I know firsthand what it was like to have my mom way too involved when I made my college decision.  I hope it works out for MM as well as it luckily did for me.

+2 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

I don't know why anyone wouldn't want a 5* guy. He wouldn't be a distraction after all this turmoil dies down.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.