Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Closing off the borders for 2015, a look at Ohio for next year.

RunEddieRun1983's picture
February 7, 2014 at 8:49am
29 Comments

As is the case every year, the Buckeye state, or the state of the Buckeyes as I like to call it, is RICH in premium football talent for 2015 and will be sending a number of seriously talented kids to D-1 programs across the country.  Here is my top five list of in state talent, these are the kids that I'm hoping the staff makes a big push for:

1. Justin Hilliard OLB Cincinnati St. Xavier.  This kid is a beast.  He already plays at an incredibly high level, already has his Buckeye offer and I think the Buckeyes are in good shape to land him.  I've always felt that a program worth it's salt will always find a way to land it's best in-state recruit, and for my money, that is Hilliard.

2. Eric Glover-Williams ATH McKinley Canton.  Again another blue chip prospect, EGW is a thorough bread, and actually plays QB for his team.  In the Buckeye offense, or defense for that matter, he will make a huge impact, he's just purely a football player.  I'm excited to see what he does in Columbus as he is already commited.

3. Jerome Baker ATH Benedictine Cleveland.  At 6'1 205lbs and running a 4.5 (has been alleged to have been timed at sub 4.5) 40, Baker is the combination of size and speed that some Buckeye recruitniks have felt we've missed on over the last couple of years.  Baker I believe is favoring Ohio State right now, and hopefully they can close on him.

4. Hjalte Froholdt DT Warren G Harding.  This kid is getting comparisons to Bjoern Werner who played at Florida State.  Not sure if it's the Europeon influence or what, but when I've seen his film he just looks like a beast.  He's an Arkansas commit currently but I think he could be swayed in fact 24/7 has him favoring either Michigan or Ohio State.  At the moment I think he is just waiting on an offer.

5. Larry Scott RB Hubbard.  Another beast of a kid at 6' 205lbs.  He runs like a mack truck and has speed to burn.  I like Scott, he's a machine with the ball in his hands and I think the Buckeyes are counting on him being in this class.  I like his versatility as a back in terms of his ability to make tacklers miss, but also lower his shoulder and run them down.

Honorable mentions:  Shaun Crawford a Michigan commit at DB, CJ Conrad TE from Lagrange, Darrin Hall a RB from Fitch in Youngstown, and Tyree Kinnel a DB from Wayne in Huber Heights.

Ludwig Yards's picture

That's a legit list, hard to argue. I thought we'd offered Froholdt but I could be mistaken. Not sure what his attraction to Arky was, or how much he really considered OSU. Seeing as how he isn't from Ohio he may just not have a big interest in OSU. I'm sure the staff wants Scott but all the "buzz" is that he has some work in the classroom to take care of. Great talent though, yeah.

+2 HS

It depends on where you look.  A couple services show that OSU has offered him but I think 24/7 shows him without an offer.  I'd like to get him in this class if for no other reason just to get Bert's goat again.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+2 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I thought that European kid committed to Arkansas and Bert awhile back? If not then yes we need to try to put a full court press on.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+1 HS
Buckeye06's picture

Isn't Hilliard's brother a Hawkeye?  I don't know how that will weigh into his decision, but they always do have good LB play

+1 HS

They are on his list and actually he is crystal balled to them by a couple people.  I think in the end it won't have as big an impact.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Yea I think his brother went to Iowa because maybe that was his best option. Hilliard is going to go to a big time program and compete for National titles. So that right there should eliminate Iowa,ND,and MeShitAgain. Wouldn't doubt that Saban will make a full court press and back the brinks truck up to St.x high school. Could see LSU and Miles take a hard stab at him also. He is a very bright kid and the depth chart and team needs will factor into his decision so this up coming season is going to be very important.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

otrain2416's picture

Hjalte Froholdt does has an OSU offer, I believe we offered him last May.  He's kinda hard for me to group in the Ohio kids (and correct me if I'm wrong) because he was a foreign exchange student playing in Ohio. I believe he moved back to Europe and before he did he took his visits and made a decision to Arkansas.

Ohio is very very strong this year in linebackers and RBs. As far as other LBs look for Anthony McKee and Nick Conner to  possible get offers as they are starting to blow up. Matthew Draper could be the only hope to continue the Glenville pipeline this year. His listed as an OLB but look for him to get recruited at S or STAR.  RBs I see Baker or Scott as our Ohio offer and commit (Baker can play LB as well). James Daniels is an OL from Warren Harding that has an offer and I think its a matter of when he's a Buckeye. Aside from James I see us taking one or two other OL: George Brown, Rob Dowdy would be my best guess as of now for offers.  I honestly think we take less Ohio kids this year than we did last year (9). 

+3 HS
DMcDougal24's picture

Regarding James Daniels, I think Ohio State is going to have a tough battle with Iowa for his services. Daniels brother is a RB at Iowa (same story as Hilliard) and he has interest. His Dad was a Buckeye though, so that leans in our favor. 

I think if it were up to Meyer we would take less Ohio kids than we did in 2014 simply because Ohio doesn't seem to be all that strong in 2015 at this point. If we miss out on our national targets though we may see the number of Ohio kids rise. 

+1 HS
Posterchild's picture

I hope we can land HIlliard, no doubt that he will be getting offers from every top program in the country (if he doesn't already). EGW is a Urban Meyer guy, if he keeps his nose clean, he is going to be a game breaker for us. Baker is a solid athlete and I imagine he will be looked at as a linebacker/hybrid guy I would absolutely love to see him playing for us in a couple of years.

My favorite guy on the list is Larry Scott, he screams Carlos Hyde to me. I love the way he runs, he has a good initial burst and doesn't shy away from contact. I like that we have a lot of fast, flashy athletes coming in. But I don't think we have brought in a guy like Carlos, and Scott would be that kind of guy.

PittBuckeye's picture

I loved EGW showing up to FNL and wearing a Super Man shirt, that takes stones, and the kid backed it up. He's my #1 by a mile in Ohio.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He's my #1 by a mile in Ohio.

Really? I like him a lot, but not much more than Baker, or Hilliard.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

Grayskullsession's picture

Arkansas getting Froholdt makes no sense. They are a dumpster fire and kids are still flocking to jump head first into it. Rest of the guys I feel we have a good chance of landing them come signing day. Hilliard is going to be a battle, kid is the real deal and is going to get offered by everyone.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

That Ark. Froholdt situation to me has got to have more to do with that kid maybe just not being familiar with the football culture and Arkansas pulled some weird rabbit out of their hat that impressed him.  I think that story will continue to develop.

-1 HS
Buckabroad's picture

The Arkansas situation is a conundrum. Many top players at least gave Arkansas a good look even after their horrible campaign. Even if you give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they will improve, how far can they go in the SEC West? They have been outrecruited by Bama, LSU, A&M and Ole Miss by a mile. Their ceiling seems to be making a bowl game. Why would I want to go to such a school if I were a top player? It certainly can't be due to Bertboy's charisma, can it?

"The minute we stop expecting greatness, we become Wisconsin."

b_pbucksfans's picture

Hilliard, EGW, Baker, CJ Conrad and Nick Conner are must gets in-state IMO.

+1 HS
m5987usus's picture

I'd love Hilliard and baker they are both awesome players

O-H!

Northbrook's picture

2. EGW: is is spelled thoroughbred

John Brandon's picture

Froholdt had a Buckeye offer and I don't think Larry Scott is going to get one. I've got a story on the top kids in Ohio coming up later this afternoon

Norwalk's picture

I'm not gonna go all Waycraken on you "yet" and start a Breck Turner thread but I think the coaches should be in contact with him. He is a workhorse with good speed, elusiveness and a whole lot of YAC. Oh, and a great kid. Last season he had 185 carries for 1910 yards and 33 TD's. He also caught 5 passes for 202 yards and 4 TD. He should be a little over 6' and 200lbs by next season. He isn't ranked by any of the services yet but will be doing some camping over the summer. Penn State made a lot of contact last year but I doubt Franklin and his staff have talked to him yet. He's a lot of fun to watch and I think he will do well in D1, but I am biased since he's a Norwalk kid. Watch his highlights and let me know what you think.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3106011/breck-turner

DMcDougal24's picture

Not a great year for a rather unknown RB to get that Buckeye offer. 2015 is the year of the running back- Buckeyes are shooting big nationally and there are a lot of talented Midwest guys that the staff may be thinking they can fall back on. 

I look forward to watching his progress though, hopefully he gets those D1 offers and maybe he can get the Buckeye interest. 

+2 HS
Hayze's picture

Larry Scott will probably not be in this class.

The staff likes a lot other backs better, he has grade problems (not confirmed?) and we're not really recruiting him.

He probably ends up at WVU with his teammate Matt Jones.

Players we really want from Ohio: EGW, Baker, Hilliard, Daniels, and Conner. Other potentials: Conrad, Berry, and Crawford (if he reopens his recruitment). There are others I'm sure both those are just the ones off the top of my head that have been talked about a lot. Also Dre'Mont Jones is beginning to be talked about as well.

+1 HS
osubuck57's picture

Scott has already verballed to Louisville. Kinnel is a verbal to that team up north as well with Crawford. Know we tried to sway Crawford but his dad said he felt slighted by not getting an offer sooner and he was firm in that commitment, so that ship has probably sailed as far as he goes.

SCOTTC.

Jeremy Birmingham's picture

That's 2014 LJ Scott...there is another.

osubuck57's picture

My bad. Thought it was 2015 Larry. Thanks for the correction Birm.

SCOTTC.

YtownBuck13's picture

Word out of Youngstown is that LJ Scott wants to go to school with his brother and from the people I have talked to they say he is not good enough to get an offer from a school like Ohio State

+1 HS
36buck's picture

Dont know about not good enough.  But I heard his test scores to get into a certain catholic school were horrible. Grade issues first and foremost. 

YtownBuck13's picture

If that is true it would've been three years ago when he was a freshman. I'm pretty sure you can raise a GPA or improve test scores in 3 years. Also I was talking about his brother not being good enough not LJ Scott.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Hilliard will probably be the toughest to get.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.