Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2016 College Football QB Stats - including JT Barrett at #32 among running QB's

+1 HS
blu.fan's picture
April 10, 2017 at 11:23am
31 Comments

There's an article by Bill Connelly at SB Nation with football stats.

LINK:  2016 college football quarterback stats tell us Mitch Trubisky might be worth the hype.

Connelly breaks the QB's into 3 categories:  statues, (Michigan's QB falls here), dual threat, and running (obv. JT Barrett.)

As I said in the title, Barrett came in at #32 among running QB's. Neither Barrett nor Michigan QB Wilton Speight were ranked in the top 30 QB's across all three categories. (Statue, Dual Threat, and Running combined.)

Personally, I am intrigued by Barrett. My gut feeling is that OSU is a great team, with many great players, and Meyer has structured the team in a way that a star QB isn't critical. (Some Alabama teams are very much in this mold as well.) OSU has done well because of their dominant defense and solid OL, giving running lanes to the RB's, along with the running QB. If Ohio State has an achilles heel, it is playing against a team with a truly dominant DL which is better than your OL, along with a good LB corps that can exploit where the OSU OL breaks down vs. the solid DL. (witness Clemson?) Michigan, FTR, wasn't bad defensively, although their LB's are not there yet. Michigan's problem was their OL, in combination with an injured QB.

EDIT:  Michigan has many challenges in 2017. Their OL is still not up to snuff. Their LB group is improving, but definitely not at OSU's level. Their DL is very very good with the first team, but not as deep as last year. And they are very thin at safety. If Michigan stays healthy, they might give you a game. But that's an awfully big if.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments