Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

4 1st Round DBs in 2 Years Could Set Another Draft Record for Ohio State

+10 HS
buckeye phi's picture
April 1, 2017 at 1:54pm
29 Comments

One year after Ohio State impressed everyone with so many players taken in the first few rounds of the NFL draft, the Buckeyes could set another record of sorts by having four defensive backs selected in the first round over a two year stretch. 

Austin Ward over at ESPN recently pointed out that while a few teams have produced three first rounders over two cycles - up to now, no school will have produced four until Ohio State produces three more first rounders this year - to join Eli Apple from last year's draft. 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/194/ohio-state-buckeyes

Like a lot of people, he's convinced that Marshon Lattimore, Malik Hooker and Gareon Conley will all be selected in the first round of this month's NFL draft.  And yes - it does look like that will indeed be another record for the Scarlet and Gray

Now consider that it's not crazy to think Vonn Bell might reasonably have gone in the first round last year, also - and Ohio State's recent production could have been even more impressive.  Plus, who knows what may happen in next year's draft?   

Throw in the chance to play for championships at a storied football powerhouse - and what school could an elite DB recruit find more attractive?    The future at Ohio State is bright, indeed. 

However, I wouldn't want to label the home team as "DBU" - or any other single position "U".  Why limit ourselves like that? 

I want my alma mater to be equally attractive to offensive guards, defensive tackles, etc. - you name it.  Call me crazy - but maybe even quarterbacks (and, by the way, that day may be coming soon)

Leave the single position "U" stuff to the lesser programs.  I'd rather be known as "Championship U" and/or "NFL Draft U" - something more along those lines -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments