Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Mike Weber is the most disrespected 1,000 rusher in OSU history

+16 HS
Becool12's picture
March 14, 2017 at 1:16pm
117 Comments

As this very long offseason roll along, I've noticed quite a few posts from buckeye fans, posts, and even reporters calling for new starters at almost every position. We want to replace JT, we want to replace the wide receivers, we want Isaiah to be benched, Sam Hubbard's position is now in question, Dante Booker needs to be benched for Barron Browning, Erick Smith can't cover, Damon Arnette isn't good enough to start so Kendell Sheffield will be his replacement. Or one of the freshmen. Normally I would ignore these posts. But, something I've noticed is that Mike Weber is constant being mentioned as a person who could have his job taken. That is probably the most irrational thing I've read this season. It seems as if Buckeye fans have become so enamoured with the homerun threats that we have lost sight of the fact that football is a game of inches.

Mike Weber is a back who won almost every single battle of inches last year. He never went down on first contact and had great vision for a freshman. For thr year, he averaged just above 6 yards per carry. Over 6 yards per carry in an offense that begged defenses to stack the box against them. His power and vision paved the way for several short yardage first downs. I also noticed that he has great feet for a "power" back. Now, the only knock against him is his speed. He isn't a back who will burst out several 80-yard rushes in a season. He isn't Ezekiel Elliot. He isn't even Carlos Hyde. He isn't a player who will run past corner backs on 40 yard runs. He is more of a player who will get 6 yard on 4th and inches. Those runs will hardly ever make a highlight reel at the end of the season but they do win games. 

Maybe I'm just not getting it. Why are people questioning Mike Weber and his ability to perform at OSU after a phenomenal rookie season?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 117 Comments