Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Ranking the Players Heading in to the Combine

+3 HS
buckeye phi's picture
February 16, 2017 at 8:08pm
16 Comments

I stumbled across an interesting little read by Justis Mosquedo of Bleacher Report a little while ago titled Ranking the Top 50 Players Invited to the 2017 NFL Combine.  Interestingly enough, he has Marshon Lattimore ranked 2nd and Malik Hooker, 6th.  

But I have to admit, I was a little surprised where he ranked Jabril Peppers.  Not only are three Buckeyes ranked ahead of him, including Pat Elflein.  But even a few of his fellow Wolverines are up there, too.

Believe it or not, Mosqueda has Michigan's supposed superstar ranked 45th.  Yes - the same guy Michigan fans have been telling everyone was the best player in college football the last couple of years, barely made the cut.  Oops!

After coming in as a cornerback recruit, Peppers transitioned from safety to linebacker, as his athleticism didn't match up with his coverage ability.

A DB/LB hybrid who can't cover, eh?  Almost makes ya wonder how he's ranked so high - if ya stop and think about it.  And then there's this:

He's a project, but he could be an outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense who also plays as an overhang defender against spread looks.

What?  One of the greatest players who ever lived - a guy who was coached up by Michigan's top notch coaches for the last three years - is heading in to the draft as a "project"?  Holy Schembechler!  What in the name of Charles Woodson is going on here? 

Perhaps, playing Peppers at fifteen different positions wasn't such a smart move, after all. 

In any event, it's looking like it could be another exciting draft for our our Buckeyes.  I mean, this time last year, who would have thought there was even the slightest possibility Marshon could go as early in the draft as Joey or Zeke? -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 16 Comments