Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Different Roles of Our Defensive Tackles - There Seems to be Some Confusion Among Fans

+10 HS
buckeye phi's picture
February 14, 2017 at 2:19pm
29 Comments

Let me say up front that my intentions in posting this are not to insult anyone's intelligence.  There are plenty of 11Wers who undoubtedly know more than this old safety does about the intricacies of defensive line play.  Isn't that right, Grandtheftharley?  So let me apologize to those guys right now. 

But for some others - as a public service - I think there may be a need for something along these lines.

In the comments section of Kyle Jones' recent Film Study - it came to my attention that there are, apparently, still a lot of fans who are confused about how our "4-3 Over" defense actually works.  In his piece, Kyle was focusing on the emergence of Dre'Mont Jones at defensive tackle - and his observations were, of course, spot on. 

But in the comments that followed, it became clear many fans are not aware of the different roles played by the two defensive tackle positions in a "4-3 Over".  Evidently, it's something Kyle has noticed, too:

...I think the expectations of a nose tackle for fans is different than what coaches expect. Playing nose is the least glamorous position on the field, as your entire job is to occupy as many blockers as possible. Shooting a gap at that spot is almost a detriment at times since it virtually guarantees a blocker will be able to get his hands on an inside linebacker.

I would only add to that comment that a "1 technique" or "nose" tackle who does not demand a double-team would free up an offensive lineman to double up on another D-lineman if the opposing offensive coordinator feels that would be more advantageous than going for the linebacker.  (Remember Joey Bosa?)  Either way - it is not a good thing. 

In the past, I have been reluctant to refer to the "1 technique" tackle as a "nose tackle" or "nose guard".  A lot of old-timers (like me) think of the "nose" more in terms of some of the traditional odd front defenses that were common back in the day.  For example, think of Woody's old 5-2 he "borrowed" from Bud Wilkinson (along with everybody else from that era) - or some of the earlier versions of the 3-4. 

In those defenses, the nose tackle (or nose guard) played mainly over the center (so the name made more sense).  It was also usually a two-gap scheme as opposed to the one-gap techniques we generally think of today. 

But I think I know why writers from Kyle's generation go with the 'nose tackle' moniker more often - even though our 1 technique tackle usually lines up on the inside shoulder of the weak-side guard.  From the comment above, he clearly realizes many fans don't understand the different roles of the two positions - so why not make them sound as different from each other as possible? 

Younger fans aren't going to confuse anything with the ancient 5-2s they would have only seen in archival footage - if at all.  Some of them may not have even been around for the earlier (2-gap) days of the 3-4.  (Although, there were one or two teams still using the old scheme in the NFL until fairly recently.) 

Incidentally, last May, Jonathan Stephenson wrote a nice article here at 11W on the differences between the traditional 3-4 and the modern 3-4.  

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/search/3-4%20defense

The piece was intended to be an explanation of why a player like Joey Bosa could play just as well in a modern 3-4 as in a 4-3 Over.  But in the process, he gave a good, basic description of the differences between the two rather different approaches to the 3-4.  (Another area where there seems to be some confusion among many fans)

Speaking of former 11W writers, when I did the perfunctory search before posting this, I came across on old article Ross Fulton did - with a basic explanation of how our 4-3 Over works.  

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/05/53721/breaking-down-the-ohio-state-defensive-clinic-part-i

Here's a pertinent excerpt: 

An over front means that the four man defensive line shifts one gap to the call side. So to the call, the defense will have a 3-technique (between the guard and tackle) and 7-technique (outside the tight end). Away from the call the defense will have a 1-technique nose guard (between the guard and center) and 5-technique (outside the tackle). 

I hope that's helpful.  For a more fundamental description, there's always something like this: 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1999358-nfl-101-the-basics-of-the-4-3-defensive-front

Want something even simpler?  Try this:

http://footballfornormalgirls.com/basics/fundamentals-base-over-and-under-4-3-defense/

Again - My intent is not to insult anyone's intelligence.  But for some casual fans - and/or those who, perhaps, never really played organized football, it seemed there was a need for an explanation. 

The concerns expressed by some of the better-informed followers of the sport over our situation at defensive tackle have not been about the "3 technique" position, for the most part.  With players like Dre'Mont coming along nicely (and the much-anticipated return of Tracy Sprinkle), we are very talented and deep at that position - as we are at both defensive end positions, obviously

But after Michael Hill - who I believe played well last season - there is a real dearth on our roster of true 1 technique (nose) tackle types.  Players fitting the description Kyle (and others) have provided, above.  And this is for good reason.  Those monsters are hard to find at the college level.

Just look at 11Ws most recent projected two-deep line-up.  Right now, Hill's back-up is expected to be Robert Landers.  Sure, he's a promising, gap-shooting, very quick defensive tackle (who is really much more suited for the 3 technique role, in my opinion).  But as good as he has looked in spots, he is simply too small to be that double-team demanding, run stuffing force we really want at the nose position - especially on early downs verses sound rushing offenses. 

We may have a few interesting options at tackle working their way up the ranks right now, however.  Possibly some guys who could play either position - which brings a fairly recent former Buckeye tackle to mind.

I think some of the confusion over the roles of the two tackle positions goes back to Adolphus Washington.  He had the extremely rare ability to play either position at an elite level.  Big, strong and mean enough to play 1 effectively - but quick and agile enough to play 3 - which was really his more natural position, anyway.  I'm sure he spoiled us a bit when it comes to our expectations at tackle - and clouded the differences in the general characteristics required of the two positions in the process. 

For those who care to dive in to it more deeply, it should also become more clear why we have often tended to go with different types at WDE and SDE.  The evolution of our strong-side, "Walkout" linebacker might start to make more sense to those who are confused about our linebackers' differing roles, as well. 

And to our friend, Harley - as well as others too numerous to name who may have felt this exercise was beneath them, I'm sorry if I wasted your time - but I did warn you at the beginning -

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments