Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Anticipating Wilson's Line-up

+16 HS
buckeye phi's picture
January 19, 2017 at 9:30pm
105 Comments

Recently 11W's Eric Seger posted what he thinks Ohio State's 2017 depth chart might look like following the early departures for the draft.   But I've been wondering if Kevin Wilson may come in and rearrange the offense completely.  After all, there are a lot of things to fix on the heels off the historic loss in the play-off. 

A fresh pair of eyes might just see things in an entirely different light.  For instance, Wilson is an old O-line coach.  Our preconceived notions of which Slob is going to play where could potentially fly out the window before it's all said and done.  

Of course, everybody's wondering how the receivers are going to shake out following the departures of Brown, Smith, Wilson and Samuel.  But who knows what other changes may be in store? 

Wilson has been tasked with fixing the offense.  Naturally, that could be taken to mean mainly our passing offense.  But his title reads Offensive Coordinator - not Passing Coordinator.  There could be any number of unexpected changes. 

Contrary to a lot of fans, I'm assuming there will be no sacred cows.  No player  should be considered untouchable.  If Wilson is expected to be responsible for fixing the offense - then he should also be responsible for naming and coaching his own line-up.  Free of any obligations to returning starters, etc. - at any position.

Wilson carries many of the same philosophies that have been long held by UFM.  Mainly, a belief in the power spread.  But he has been a proponent of a greater emphasis on the passing game than UFM has been.  That is - up to now.  UFM has promised Ohio State will become a better passing team. 

It's a clean slate.  But we did have a few very bright spots in the '16 offense.  So - some returners are probably a given.  Jamarco Jones and Billy Price come immediately screaming to mind.  Assuming the typical big jump from freshman to sophomore performance occurs, perhaps Michael Jordan will fall in to that category as well. 

Obviously, the embarrassing loss was unfortunate.  But in it's wake, we have a unique opportunity to really think outside of the box as far as our offense is concerned - and possibly be not too far off the mark in the process.  So with all that in mind, what do you really think the 2017 offense will look like?  

Here are my thoughts.

LT - Jones - Bowen.

Jones graded out too well last season to even consider a move. 

LG - Jordan - Davis

I'm thinking there may be no need to rock the boat on the left side

C - Price - Taylor

OK, ok - nothing unexpected so far

RG - Myers - Burrell

I don't see how we're going to keep this monster off the field.  With Price, that'll almost certainly be the strongest center/guard combo in college football. 

RT - Pridgeon - Prince

Some changes are sure to come

x-receiver - Mack OR Victor 

Because I can't decide

Tight End - Baugh - OR - Hausman - Alexander

I have a feeling Hausman is gonna press for serious playing time.  Potentially, a better blocker than Baugh or Alexander

z-receiver - Hill - Grimes

I'm hoping Grimes will become that legit deep threat we may have been lacking.  Of course, there was no way to know if it was really lacking since we hardly ever tried it last season. 

H-back - Campbell - McCall

I know a lot of fans are wanting McCall.  I almost went with an "OR" here.  But he's a bit too small to be an every-down back at this point in his development.  Plus, it makes better use of Campbell's talents (a former running back - and probably still the fastest player on offense outside of Clark)

RB - Weber - OR - Dobbins

I think Dobbins will play quite a bit as a true freshman - giving us that change-up,  home run capability at the position. 

QB - Barrett - Burrow

This was not the no-brainer for me it probably is for most fans.  In fact, I believe that if JT does not take to Wilson and Day's coaching as well as we're all hoping he will - they will seriously consider going with a more accurate passer.  Be that Burrow, Haskins or Martell.  But probably Burrow.  We know he's accurate - and he's sticking around for a reason. 

WR - (for 4-wide sets) - McLaurin - Clark

That's about it for the offense.  If this is well received, perhaps I'll do it for the defense too.  Although, the front seven (more than that if you consider the rotation on the D-line) are probably pretty well set.

That secondary, though - 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 105 Comments