Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The WR situation for 2017. Who will the top WRs be next season?

+5 HS
PoopOnMichigan13's picture
January 4, 2017 at 12:54am
86 Comments

WR play has been something quite a few fans have been discussing for much of the past season. You could argue that an overall lackluster offense is mostly to blame, but clearly the WRs didnt step up the way many expected. So, what should we expect for 2017?

Dontre Wilson and Corey smith are gone, as both graduate this year. Johnnie Dixon is rumored to be a possible transfer, and has yet to make the impact many expected when he came in. Outside of those three, Curtis Samuel is likely gone according to most(although his draft stock may not be as high as he might want). So, overall the WR group will have a much different look next year, as they lose a handful of relatively productive players. With the hire of Kevin Wilson at OC, I personally expect a much better passing game for OSU next year. The question is, who are the WRs that will make the biggest impact, and get the most playing time? Here are my top picks to be OSU's best WRs next season.

Benjimen Victor will be a true sophomore next year. The fact that he saw some playing time and made a big catch in the playoff game against Clemson tells me he may be a bigtime player next year. Him finally getting to play in the last game of the year reminds me of when Vonn Bell finally got his chance to play in the last game of the year, coincidentally OSU was playing Clemson that time as well(and both played in a position group that struggled throughout the year). Victor has a little Randy Moss in him with his size and length, but also his speed and athleticism. Not saying he will be one of the greatest WRs to ever play, but I see a comparison there. Im predicting he starts with Noah Brown.

KJ Hill will be a RS sophomore next year and is one WR I saw some good things from this year. Out of Paris Campbell, Terry McLaurin, and KJ Hill I think Hill has the best chance to turn into a really good WR. He outperformed both McLaurin and Campbell this past season, and I think with another offseason can take the steps to turn into a consistent playmaker. Stats for 2016: 18rec 262yds 1td 14.6ypc

Noah Brown will be a RS junior next season. Brown has shown himself to be a great blocker, much like Evan Spencer was, and has proven to be a good red zone target. He isnt the fastest WR, but he is solid route runner, and has good hands to go with his skills as a blocker. There is no doubt he will be the leader of the WR group next year and is the most productive WR returning to the team. Stats for 2016: 32rec 402yds 7td 12.6ypc

Austin Mack will be a true sophomore next year, and to my surprise saw very little action this year. Something tells me that another offseason will go a long way for him, and he will see the field next year. With the WRs struggling with basic WR skills this past year one would think a true WR like Austin Mack will be able to set himself apart from other players. Assumin his blocking is up to Meyer's standards, I think he gets a chance to play and make an impact next year.

My bold prediction(although maybe its not so bold) is that Victor starts at WR next year. The other two starters at WR being Noah Brown, and KJ Hill in the slot. Also, I see Austin Mack forcing guys like Paris Campbell, and Terry McClaurin to the bench. However, with so much uncertainty, and so many options at WR for next season my predictions could be off by a lot.

These are my predictions for who the top 4 WRs for next season will be: Noah Brown, Benjimen Victor, KJ Hill, and Austin Mack(in that order). Guys like Torrance Gibson, and Demario McCall(who I think takes over the Curtis Samuel role) could very well make an impact at WR as well. There are a handful of freshman coming in who may push for playing time also. With loads of untapped potential at WR, there should be no reason OSU cant find 3 or 4 guys to be consistent playmakers at the position. What do you guys think? Does someone like Victor crack the starting lineup? Maybe Austin Mack or one of the incoming freshman force their ways into the lineup or perhaps Johnnie Dixon, Paris Campell, or Terry McClaurin finally take that next step. Let me know what you guys think for who makes the biggest impact at WR next year.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 86 Comments