Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How do you smoothly implement staff changes?

+6 HS
Scarlatina's picture
January 1, 2017 at 2:01pm
104 Comments

I think most of us here want to see Urban shake up things on the offensive staff, namely Tim Beck, Ed Warinner or both. However, the flip side of the negative perception that comes with firing a coach after an 11-win season. It may discourage future OC/DCs from coming here if they know how high the expectations are/how short the leash is at Ohio State. A bright, young mind who is still rising up the coaching ranks might think that the risk is too high to come.

2013 was a best-case scenario transition imo. James Madison (FCS) offered Everrett Withers a HC position, but at a significant pay decrease. So Urban was free to let him go on the pretext of career advancement without scaring away potential DC candidates.

Is this something to consider, or am I over-thinking it?

Edit: It took Tom Herman almost 2 seasons to fully develop into the OC that he was in 2014. So what I am saying is that a bright, young mind might want to go to a place where he believes he can develop his coaching acumen further without having to constantly worry about getting fired.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 104 Comments