Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

What Ohio State Football Means to You

+5 HS
BuckInChicago's picture
December 31, 2016 at 3:30pm
17 Comments

Here at 11W, Ohio State, and especially Ohio State football, means a lot to all of us who frequent this excellent site to read up on recruiting, see the breakdown of the coming game, and just generally be 'around' other OSU fans.  Forgive me for using this medium as a personal story board for a second, but if you choose to read I hope you get something from it.  

This season in particular has had me appreciating the power of what it means to be a fan of Ohio State fan.  Like the countless thousands of kids who grow up in Ohio I remember Saturdays in the fall as being the day to sit in front of the TV with my father, both of us wearing scarlet and grey.  Now that was during the Cooper years so there were some ups and downs, but without fail we would watch the game to see if our beloved Buckeyes could pull through again.  I have fond memories of getting the opportunity to go to the Horseshoe as a kid and marveling as I looked out from C-Deck at all the people in S&G.  When it came time to pick a university Ohio State was that school and since I was a couple hours from home in NEO every Saturday I would be texting and calling my Dad throughout the games. Ohio State and Ohio State football was always something we bonded together over, and I will always remember the look on his face at my graduation.

Since then I moved from Columbus to Chicago to pursue graduate work, but even with the added distance Buckeye Saturdays were always a time to get in touch and talk about the game, how the team played, and how next week was looking.  These conversations were sometimes over the phone, over text, sometimes lives as the game was going on, and sometimes afterwards while one of us was watching a recording of the game.  The important thing to us was that in-between serious conversations about our views on the world, what bills we had to pay, stories of work interactions (we both have worked in the mental health field, so many stories!), etc. we always had Ohio State football.  

With the demands of life we haven't been able to watch as many games together as either of us would like, so I was happy when I was able to convince him to meet me in Columbus at my uncle's house to watch the Nebraska game with our family.  We had a great time and relished in the beat down the Buckeyes gave to the Cornhuskers... we ate a lot and drank a lot and had a nice relaxing time together.  The following weekend I was back in Chicago and worked an early shift at the hospital so I could get home in time to watch most of the MSU game.  Since I was working that day I wasn't in touch with my Dad like I usually would have been to that point; I had sent a text but no response but I know sometimes he runs errands and is busy before settling in for the game.  Perhaps 15 minutes after getting home though I got a call no one ever wants.  My Mom had been out of town and just got back to find my father in bed, deceased from an apparent heart attack that had no signs of coming about.  Boy am I glad now I made the 6 hour drive to Columbus when I did...

It's been a rough year for my family, as it has a number of families who face such inevitable moments in time that we all hope to avoid for as long as possible.  I share this story with the hopes it doesn't cause anyone else more grief in life by bringing up bad memories of loved ones gone, but instead to pay homage to what Ohio State means with the hope that others connect an otherwise meaningless sport (grand scheme of things and all) with something that has the greatest meaning... family and loved ones.  I wish I was able to watch the playoff game with him in person, but throughout the game I know he'll be there in spirit cheering on the Buckeyes, just like I know he was watching against TTUN as our beloved team pulled out the victory.  

As OSU lines up today I hope everyone is able to enjoy it with loved ones and remember those who have left us.  I know I will as I watch the game wearing my Dad's old buckeye necklace.  Hopefully the end result is another win for Ohio State, but regardless I will always be proud to be a fan of the Buckeyes and appreciate the memories of what Ohio State means to me.  Enjoy the game and have a safe evening one and all.  O-H!  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments