Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

CFB Playoff in the 90's

+5 HS
MW2014's picture
November 29, 2016 at 1:20am
11 Comments

Thinking back on those losses to TTUN earlier this week before the Game, it got me thinking about how things might have been different for the much maligned John Cooper.

So basing this off of the final AP poll, here's the playoff that could have been

#1 Nebraska (undefeated Big 8 Champ) vs. #4 Ohio State (one loss Co-Big Ten Champ)

#2 Florida (undefeated SEC Champ) vs. #3 Northwestern (one loss Co-Big Ten Champ)

#5 Tennessee (one loss), #6 Notre Dame (two losses)

Surprisingly 1995 looks fairly similar to what may play out this year. Nebraska was the powerhouse. The playoff probably would have had to include a non-champion because the other conference champions (Texas 10-1-1), Florida State (9-2), and Oregon (9-2) were not ranked very highly, for whatever reason. Ohio State, even after its big loss to Michigan, was ranked #4. I don't know if they could have knocked off Nebraska, but it sure would have been interesting. Also, it's possible you could flip Ohio State and Northwestern, as the latter's loss came early in the season to Miami (OH).

#1 Florida State (undefeated ACC champ) vs. #4 Ohio State (one loss Big Ten Co-Champ)

#2 Arizona State (undefeated Pac-10 champ) vs. #3 Florida (one loss SEC Champ)

#5 BYU (one loss), #6 Nebraska (two loss Big 12 champ)

There may have been debate over including independent BYU, but the ranking is what it is. Surprisingly, a one loss Virginia Tech won the Big East but was only ranked #10. Given that we already know Ohio State could beat Arizona State and know what Florida did to Florida State, I think with the talent this team had, Ohio State could have won this fictional playoff.

#1 Tennessee (undefeated SEC Champ) vs. #4 Kansas State (one loss Big 12 Champ)

#2 Florida State (one loss ACC Champ) vs. #3 Ohio State (one loss Big Ten Co-Champ)

#5 Arizona (one loss Pac-10 Co-Champ) vs. UCLA (one-loss Pac-10 Co-Champ)

Ohio State and Wisconsin were co-champs that year but didn't play each other, so Wisconsin got the Rose Bowl bid by virtue of Ohio State going the year before. Nonetheless, let's assume for sake of argument that Ohio State was the conference champion. Such a sad year, not getting to prove this team was worthy in a playoff. 

---

Bottom line, I think Cooper would have been able to win at least one of these playoffs, probably with the 1996 team as the best bet. At the very least, it would have been really interesting. Alas, the playoff was many years away and understanding how these outstanding Ohio State teams of my youth were left out because there was no playoff makes me appreciate how great the opportunity in 2014 and now, most likely, 2016 will be. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments