College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Learned or Allowed.

+21 HS
Buckeye_Wizard's picture
November 28, 2016 at 7:27pm
15 Comments

During any football coaching career (including my own), high school coaches have the pleasure to listen to numerous different football coaches, both head coaches and assistants, speak at coaching clinics during the off season.  Sometimes the coach speaks about their team or their personal philosophy and sometimes they teach strategy.  Over the years, I have probably heard somewhere between 100 to 200 different high school and college coaches speak at various clinics all over the country. 

But once, at the annual coaches clinic in Columbus, Coach Tressel said something that has stuck with me since I heard him say it years ago.  Coach Tressel was speaking about the behavior of football players on and off the field  He said, "The players on your team will do exactly what you teach them to do or what you allow them to do. Nothing more and nothing less."  

The words are so simple but so true.  Learned or allowed.  Children, employees, elected officials, athletes...everyone I could imagine fell into one of the two categories.  Learned or allowed.  I thought about my own behavior...and sure enough, good or bad, I either learned it from someone or someone has allowed me to behave in a certain manner.  I have said the words so often to my family that they may be tired of hearing them.  

To this day when I witness someone's behavior, good or bad, I always say to myself, "Learned or allowed."

Which brings me to the antics of a few of the Michigan players and a coach from the game this past Saturday.  Before the game began, I witnessed at least one Michigan player stomping on and spitting on the block O in the middle of the field.  I watched more than one Michigan player taunt the crowd and other players during the game. The pushing and shoving after plays was sophomoric.  Some say this is part of the game. Bull. The behavior displayed was deplorable.  

Unfortunately, these players were either taught to act in this manner or allowed to act in this manner.  It is not the fault of the players.  It is the coach's responsibility. Remember Coach Tressel's words, "Learned or Allowed."  The behavior of the players speaks volumes about the coach's personality.

Finally, just to confirm what lies under the hat of the head coach, after the game he whines and complains because he didn't get his own way. Just remember, someone taught him to act this way or has allowed him to act this way.  Despicable. 

I respect "The Game."  I respect the University of Michigan.  But I have lost all respect for him.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments