Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The everybody loses scenario

+2 HS
MW2014's picture
November 20, 2016 at 3:18pm
53 Comments

We haven't seen much chaos at the end of the year in a few years. What if that changes this year?

Assume the following:

1. Ohio State beats -ichigan. Penn State beats Michigan State. Nebraska beats Iowa. Minnesota beats Wisconsin. Nebraska plays Penn State in the title game and wins, finishing 11-2.

2. Alabama loses to Auburn and then loses to Florida. Yeah, I know. Florida finishes 11-2, so does Alabama.

3. Clemson loses to South Carolina and then loses to Virginia Tech. Clemson finishes 10-3.

4. Washington loses to Washington State or to Colorado/USC in the title game. Washington finishes 11-2, and either Washington State/Colorado/USC win the Pac-12. Let's say USC just to make it interesting.

5. Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma, wins the Big 12.

So in this scenario, our best wins (Oklahoma and Wisconsin) are no longer that great, but with the chaos in the top 10-15, not sure it hurts that much.

Here are your conference champs:

B1G: Nebraska (11-2); SEC: Florida (11-2); ACC: Virginia Tech (10-3); Pac-12: USC (10-3); Big12: Oklahoma State (10-2)

Here are the other contenders: 11-1 Ohio State, 10-3 Clemson, 11-2 Alabama, 10-2 --ichigan, 11-2 Washington, 10-2 Louisville

Who do you take? Looks like Ohio State would be a shoe in, probably #1 in this scenario. I think you probably also have to take Florida. So there's two spots. But who else?

Oklahoma State should be 11-1 as we all know. USC looks great. Alabama would get a strong consideration but losing two straight would be a bad look, and clearly not a top 4 team. Clemson would have lost two straight too. Nebraska would have won its conference despite losing to Ohio State 62-3. I think the smart choices would be Oklahoma State and USC, but a three loss team in the playoff? 

Good luck with that scenario, committee!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 53 Comments