Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

DeMario McCall Reminds Me of Zeke

+3 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
November 7, 2016 at 3:53pm
68 Comments

Disclaimer here: I don't think McCall is as good as Zeke (Zeke, IMO, is the best running back since Adrian Peterson, and we were damn lucky to have him), nor do I necessarily think McCall should be our #1 RB. I think Weber is a very good back who's nailed down his claim on the starting position, and if ain't broke don't fix it.

All that said, what I saw from McCall (granted, against a tired and demoralized Nebraska defense) was shiftiness and cunning, the sort of electric and dynamic ability to dance around tackles and exploit openings that runners like Zeke and Braxton Miller have shown in the past. This is very different from the Carlos Hyde/Mike Weber "damn the torpedoes" school of bulldozing through defenses. The end product may be more or less the same, but there's something marvelous about watching a quick-footed RB dodging a tackle rather than ramming into it.

I think Meyer should give the ball to McCall whenever possible. I think we should be alternating between Weber and McCall (and some Samuel thrown in there), using their different styles to make opposing defenses' jobs harder. Just when they've figured out how to contain one of them, we send the other one in, and force them to readjust. Lots of people have already talked about how great McCall might be on the jetsweep. I think he's at least as good as Wisconsin's Jazz Peavy, and we've seen what that guy can do with his speed on the edge.

What do you all think?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 68 Comments