Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Coaching Observations

+3 HS
Buckeyechuck5's picture
October 25, 2016 at 9:42am
48 Comments

Hello fellow 11dubbers. First I would like to give the Mod's a shout out for dealing with me and grooming me into a more seasoned 11w member. Anyway, lets get down to it. I (like many other bucknuts) record every game and watch it throughout the week and break it down to the best of my knowledge. Not claiming to be a genius, but I am steamed about this loss and I figured I would offer up my perspective and get some feed back.(Please take it easy on me). The three games I have broken down the most are obviously the Oklahome, Wisky, and PSU games. Although Oklahoma is Big 12 good, I believe that game was a little misleading and OSU just outclassed them on both sides with speed strength and depth and oh yes, we play defense on this side of the Mason/Dixon line. I believe the Wisky game was very symbolic of what this team is as far as the coaching staff goes and then it unfolded even more against PSU. 

Offensively against Wisky, JT made on bad throw in the rain and other than that, flawless. His experienced downhill running proved to be the deciding factor in OSU's comeback. That paired with a beautiful improve pass to dontre down the sideline and a dart in the endzone to rip the hearts out of the Wisky faithful was all JT balling out. All that being said, it didn't seem to me that the offensive coaches made many adjustments from the 1st half to the 2nd half. I say this because I thought the biggest difference in the Wisky game was the adjustments made by Greg Schiano properly mixing and disguising man and zone coverage and making Malik Hooker Key on the Jet seep trusting the speed of Conley and Lattimore if Wisky decided to go deep. This left Wisky with Fumagali underneath the hole 2nd half and Webb defended it beautifully. All the said adjustments allowed the sputtering offense to claw their way back. 

Against PSU, I think I actually saw a lot of the same. In my humble opinion, it didn't look like the Tim Beck and Ed Warriner made any concrete adjustments at the half (albeit OSU was up 12-7). I felt that the defense was ready for Seaquan Barkley and McSorley hit a few 50/50 balls down field. The only real drive that PSU had was the one right before the half and McSorley's feet hurt OSU as well. I believe that was due to the attention that McMillan had to pay to the tight ends and it let McSorley take what was there. In the 2nd half, the Defense really hadn't surrendered anything to warrant any major halftime adjustments. I do not put the responsibility of PSU's 2nd offensive TD on the OSU defense because it came on the heels of a punt block and a ridiculous horse color penalty that really deflated the OSU defense and put PSU on the 10 yard line 1st and goal. And we all know how PSU got their final TD. Anyway, once again, I didn't see any adjustments by the offensive coaching staff. This paired with JT making good throws and receivers dropping them is flat out killing OSU's Mojo. It was very evident that PSU's Dline was getting up field in a hurry, where was the screen game to take that off of out young O-line? Do we not run any quick slants anymore? Also, it was very telling to me that during the last timeout that OSU took in the 4th quarter that the team was huddled by the sideline and Coach Meyer was 15 yards away arguing with Beck and Warriner on the headset.

My main point of emphasis in this topic is that it is obvious that THE OSU defense is being coached by superior coaches, and the Offense is being managed by some tressell ballers. Who would have thought with all of the recruiting misses and injuries at the defensive line that this group would be a strength? Keep that Larry Johnson guy around. It is obvious OSU has not only an NFL secondary, but they have an NFL coaching mind behind it. Enjoy Schiano wile he is here.(it won't be long). Fickell is bringing along the young LB group and calling NFL caliber games. Case and point, I wish Urban would just tell Beck to stay with QB's and Warriner to do what he does best and help Studrawa double team this young offensive line and Urban himself call this offense because OSU needs him in the huddle to look into eyes at key points in big games, not arguing with the challenged play calling abilities of his CO-offensive coordinators.

Disclaimer: I'm sure I messed up and even left a lot out that I wanted to say, but I'm at work and people won't leave me alone lol.

Thoughts? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments