Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Penn State Blocked FG Analysis

+1 HS
THE's picture
October 24, 2016 at 2:50pm
22 Comments

Interesting tid-bit to the blocked FG.  Dont get me wrong, we lost the game.  But in reading this article about why Penn State should not (and they were not) called for a leaping penalty on the blocked FG they took back for a TD, you can see an very interesting key point to the play.  The premiss of the article that the leaping penalty should not have been called because the Penn State play "didnt LAND on a player" (though he hit a few in the air).  However, watch this GIF (too large to post) and take special note of Penn State #52.  At the snap you can see #52 on Penn State make a major defensive hold on our #79 Brady Taylor.  The Penn State players grabs and pulls Brady forward (like an Ole` with defensive holding) which opens the gap for Penn State #2 to jump through that gap and not land on anyone.  Savvy play since you never see defensive holding get called...not sure if that was coached or a street ball play those two guys discussed in the huddle but an interesting facet to the ultimate kick in the bathing suit spot of a play.

Edit - To clarify, I agree a time out should have been used, we shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with and there was no need to rush someone's career long FG.  I just saw this article and found the tatic interesting. Like at the end of a basketball game when refs let the dudes going to the rack get mugged..PSU used it to there advantage. Not blaming calls made/not made, wasn't the point...just an observation on a savvy move by #52. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments