Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

WR question regarding routes and transition from "Athlete" to WR

0 HS
elitesmithie's picture
October 11, 2016 at 11:46pm
41 Comments

OK so I know we had a less than stellar passing attack on Saturday. One idea I saw was more geared towards our WR's being young and several transitioning from Athlete to WR.

The thought is our timing is off and there isn't enough separation because they aren't running crisp precise routes. What I was wondering is, do we run a lot of crossing routes? We have the best athletes in the nation or at least on par with Alabama. It would seem reasonable that our guys should be able to run routes like crossing routes and fly's without having to adjust too much. In theory we should be killing Big Ten teams linebackers and secondary with our speed. Another play I don't see as much is common WR screens. Outside of getting the ball to our best players in space; it allows Barrett to get some easy wins in to build up confidence and a rhythm.

Maybe we are running these all the time and I am an ignorant viewer but I wanted to see what everyone thought. For the record I think our passing attack all year has been decent to good. Also to be clear, this post is supposed to be geared towards transitioning athletes like Samuel as done to WR's and our route tree, not so much the passing of Barrett which has been covered elsewhere.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 41 Comments