Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Ohio State University Buckeyes VS Ohio University Bobcats - Why don't we see this match up annually?

+4 HS
Defiance's picture
October 5, 2016 at 10:47am
89 Comments

Good morning 11W and Happy Hump Day!!

A serious question here for your Wednesday morning so put on your thinking cap and pull up a chair:

We all know about Iowa VS Iowa State, Virginia VS Virginia Tech, Oregon VS Oregon State, Michigan VS Michigan State and that's just the tip of the iceberg and here's a link if you want to browse the other 26 rivalries they list in this article. Now we could go on and on about these in-state rivalries but here's the point:

Why is it that Ohio University, a member of the Mid-American Conference, playing at the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision level who has an excellent coach in Frank Solich and can brag a seven year stretch of bowl eligibility doesn't make the trip from Athens, OH on an annual basis to square off against our Beloved Buckeyes?

Now I know there's been some questionable behavior on the field (I'm looking at you Rufus) but that can't be stopping the schedule makers from doing their part to make this a more common occurrence, right?!

I can't imagine that there isn't a financial "advantage" to the Bobcats making the two hour and twenty minute trip north on US 33 to The Horseshoe and squaring up in one of the three OOC games the Buckeyes start the year off with, every year. 

The Bobcats play Bowling Green this week in Athens, squared up against Tennessee back on September 7th and play Miami (OH), Kent State and Central Michigan this year and all of these teams have appeared on the Buckeyes schedule in years gone by so why not The Buckeyes against The Bobcats?

There's a history here so it's not like the two teams haven't met on the field of play before. As a matter of fact, it's happened six times since 1899 with the most recent meeting back in 2008 (2010 if you can look beyond the vacated year) and even though the Buckeyes hold a 6-0 record in the match up, it's been a competitive series and one that has produced some memorable games for both teams. Here's a look back at the history of the series between these two Ohio football powers.

So I ask you my Buckeye brethren, why not The Ohio State University VS The Ohio University? What am I missing here and why don't we see this in-state battle on the schedule on an annual basis or at least a more consistent basis?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 89 Comments