Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Tulsa - Playing Debt Free

+11 HS
Large Father's picture
September 8, 2016 at 8:31pm
21 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

Sometimes things happen in the wrong order...

You could sense last season was about obligation...and it got in the way of a repeat National Championship.  

Even from the first game...I remember watching the team take the field for the Monday night kickoff against Virginia Tech and I was a little surprised (maybe confused is a better word) that Cardale was taking the huddle instead of JT.  I was even more surprised (or even more confused) when the play calling with Cardale taking the snaps was the offensive game plan perfectly suited for JT...and a very poor fit for Cardale.  But, Cardale passed up millions of NFL dollars to return to college for one more season at Ohio State.

There was obligation with the receiving corps.  Braxton paid his dues...he went through a lot during his OSU career...and was a key reason for the undefeated 2012 season.  He wasn't going to play QB in the NFL after his shoulder injury, so last season was dedicated to getting him prepared to play receiver in the NFL.  

There was obligation with eventual 4th pick in the NFL draft.  Zeke put on the best three-game stretch by an OSU running back against Wisky, Alabama and Oregon.  He had to get his carries.

Everything is different this year; there's no obligation...no debt...and from what we've seen so far from one game, the sky's the limit with this team.

JT's postgame interview last weekend was very interesting.  He essentially said last year they tried to get certain guys the ball (i.e. obligation)...this year, they are taking advantage of what the defense gives them.  They are exploiting the weakness of the defense which is how Urban's offense is meant to work.  And, it did work -- most points every by an Urban-coached team and most yards ever in a single game for Ohio State!  

One of the starters on the offensive line last weekend is the epitome of debt-free.  After one game, I now understand why a true freshman is starting at offensive line for Ohio State for the first time since Orlando Pace.  Michael Jordan was outstanding last week...and this Michael Jordan is #73 not #23. :)  He embodies what we saw from all the young, unknown Buckeyes - strong, fast, big, great technique, perfect execution, understanding the playbook and knowing his role for every snap.  

This team just looks different.  All of these players are now Urban's recruits and only know Mickey Marotti's training program.  I'm very interested to see if the 2016 Buckeyes are mentally tough enough to play at a high level every week.  

This preseason camp Urban was the most calm we've ever seen him...after the game last weekend, I think we know why.

Touchdowns:  JT, Mike Weber, Mike Weber, Noah Brown, Curtis Samuel, Curtis Samuel, Dontre, Austin Mack, Malik Hooker

OSU 63 Tulsa 14

Go Bucks!  Beat Tulsa!  Dante Booker for Heisman! 

Puffy Padre

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 21 Comments