College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Draft Picks Last 10 Years by School & Conference (Adjusted to # of Teams)

+5 HS
BuckeyeInTheDesert's picture
September 6, 2016 at 10:51pm
16 Comments

So I was listening to the Russillo & Kanell Podcast (big fan of Russillo for the most part) and they were arguing about what conferences have had the most draft picks over the past 10 years. As you'd guess, the SEC is one, but Kanell's rebuttal was that the conferences have had a different # of teams, so the #'s were skewed in the SEC's favor. Additionally, he said when you take that into account the ACC was "right there" with the SEC. So I decided to call bullshit, do the research and math, and put it into a spreadsheet. The brass tax of what I found was that, over the last 10 years, when you adjust for # of conference teams, the SEC still leads (kinda by a lot) by averaging 35.31 draftees per year over the last 10 years (2007-2016), followed by the ACC with 28.10, then the Pac-12 with 27.77, the B1G with 26.89, and the bottom dwellers of the Big-12 with 24.17 draftees. Now, when you look at Excel print screen, you'll see I broke down the top schools regardless of conference as well (I knew the rest of the B1G was holding down the Buckeyes), and USC & LSU tied for first with 62, followed by Ohio State and Alabama tied for second with 58. 

What does this all mean, if anything? I don't know. You let me know. But just thought I'd share the interesting info with you all. (FYI, I was having difficulty embedding the print screen/image, so I just decided to embed my tweet with the attached pic/print screen. Hope this works.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 16 Comments