Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Why Special Teams will make a big difference this year,

0 HS
PoopOnMichigan13's picture
August 30, 2016 at 2:32pm
2 Comments

As we all know, OSU returns very few starters on either side of the ball this year. However, the few returning starters happen to play some of the most important positions. McMillan at MLB, JT at QB, Elflein at C, and Gareon Conley at CB. Obviously, guys like Sam Hubbard or Curtis Samuel(and others) have what amounts to starting experience as well. Overall though, this team is young and has essentially no position groups with numerous experienced players. If you ask me, our Special Teams group has flown under the radar, and they happen to have plenty of experience.

K Sean Nuernberger(JR), and P Cameron Johnston(SR) both return with plenty of experience. Add in Dontre Wilson, and Curtis Samuel as returners who both have taken reps in game and in practice. The Special Teams group actually has more experience then they have had in a couple of years, as far as Kickers and returners go. This brings me to my next point.

Urban Meyer puts a huge emphasis on special teams, and for good reason as his units usually finish in the top of the country for special teams rankings. Our kickoff coverage has never been a problem under Meyer, and with plenty of speed on the roster, I have no doubt it will be up to standards. As Ive mentioned, the other parts of our special teams returns plenty of experience which should amount to one of the best special teams units in the country.

With the young team OSU has this year it will be beneficial to control field position with excellent special teams play. Any football fan knows how special teams can win or lose a game, and how special teams have to be great to help your offense and defense stay out of bad situations. Controlling the field position will go a long way this year, and we have all the tools to be the one of the best at doing it.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 2 Comments