College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Spring Games from around the Country.

+7 HS
619nut's picture
April 18, 2016 at 8:00pm
24 Comments

I just thought I would create a thread where we could discuss the spring games of other teams that we are likely to compete against, whether it be in the regular season or postseason play. 

Alabama's Spring Game

This game was not online, but it was on ESPN on Saturday. My takeaways:

• Tim Williams is an unblockable pass rusher/ Alabama's online has some work to do in the pass blocking.
  • The defense is going to be really good again. Nobody scored for the first three quarters. 
  • Bo scarborough and Damein Harris are going to be really good. The pump out running backs like a factory.
  • Overall I was less than impressed, I thought I would've seen more from there offense which looked bad.
  • The Quarterbacks sucked

Herbstreit has Bateman leading the charge who was 2nd on the 2 deep last year. Barnett in 2nd, true freshman Jalen Hurts in 3rd and Cornwell in 4th.

Interestingly I think Bateman is the least talented of the lot. He isnt the most mobile guy in the world and does not have the biggest arm either. If he is the starter I dont expect a lot of explosive plays. 

I actually think Blake Barnett the redshirt Freshman will start. He has got some mobility albeit no a lot and is a decent passer and seemed to understand the offense better than the Hurts and Cornwell. If develops he could be a Blake sims 2.0

Jalen is just two young and raw. I seriously doubt he will play at all this year.

Cornwell seems to have the most upside to me, hes big prototypical pro style quarterback but he seems to be suffering similar problems as Jacob Coker. He is inaccurate at times and doesnt seem to have a good grasp of the playbook and lacks an ability to read the defense and go through his progressions.

The Team Up North's Spring Game:

• I think the defense is going to be able to coup with losing all there linebackers by switching there scheme to a 4-3 and moving Jabrill Peppers to a Darron Lee type role. He is in for a big year.
  • There quarterbacks Wilton Speight and John O' Korn both looked really good. Speight looked more of your traditional pro style quarterback and he seemed to run the offense a little crisper. O'Korn was a little more dynamic with being able to run the ball. Either way they go I think they will be in safe hands.
  • Running Backs: Ohio Product De'Veon Smith is a freak and is going to be in for a big year. Kareem Walker was a big miss for us and hes a future star. He looked really physical for a true freshman and kindve reminded me of Todd Gurley. and Ty Isaac there 2nd string running back had a solid performance.
  • Overall I was impressed with the what I saw and I think the hype around the Team up North is real.

Norte Dame

• Deshaun Kizer will beat out Malik Zaire and be one of the top quarterbacks in the Country, if not the best.
  • They are very talented 
  • They seem to have similar problems as us replacing 3 of the 5 starting o-line men and have not had anyone really step up on the defense line.

Clemson

• They will most likely have the best Offense in college football next year. which does not lose many starters but gets back Mike Williams from a year ago a thousand yard receiver in 14'.
  • They will have big questions on defense. But i think Defensive Coordinator Brent Venables will have them playing decent at the very least.

Other notes I think Florida State is going to be really good from what I saw they return alot of guys and will be talented across the board. I expect them to challenge Clemson this year.

You can watch some more spring games on Noonkick.com or on youtube under channels like Cinefunk and Agent smith. 

If anyone finds a link to the oklahoma game they will get an upvote and gratitude. I really wanted to scout there team.

So did you gentleman watch any spring games this weekend? Did you have any thoughts? 

Which teams Impressed you and which teams did you think were lackluster?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments