Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Notre Dame Reporter Happy Urban Meyer Turned Them Down

Matt Gutridge's picture
December 28, 2015 at 11:31am
38 Comments
Urban Meyer

Two years before Urban Meyer was named the 24th head coach of Ohio State there were rumors he would land in South Bend. In July of 2009 Urban Meyer ended the speculation on a golf course. From the Gainesville Sun.

Midway through the talk, Meyer was talking about the “nonsense” that came up again last week when a column by Paul Finebaum in the Mobile paper indicated (again) that Meyer is leaving Florida for Notre Dame after this season.

He turned to me and asked. “Is it OK to make this announcement here?”

I knew what he was going to say because he said something similar when the speculative story surfaced three weeks ago.

Meyer turned back to the golfers and said, “I’m not going to Notre Dame. Ever. I’m going to be the coach at Florida for a long time, as long as they want me.”

Notre Dame fans did not handle the rejection well. One reporter from uhnd.com took to the pixelated page and espoused these hot takes on Urban's rejection in an article titled Urban Meyer Isn't Going to Notre Dame. Ever. Good. Some highlights from the piece:

My response to this is – GOOD.  I might be in the minority here, but I for one don’t want to see Meyer roaming the sidelines of Notre Dame Stadium.  The way I see it, Meyer had his chance to coach at Notre Dame in 2005.  If Notre Dame really was his dream job, he would have taken the job back then. 

The author also came up with this golden nugget:

Call me naive, but I also still believe that there’s a very good chance that Charlie Weis will remain the head coach at Notre Dame after this season and beyond which would make all of this a moot point to begin with.  With the talent Weis has assembled on the field through recruiting and on the sidelines in terms of staff changes, I believe that things are indeed on the way up for Notre Dame and Weis this year.

Weis finished the 2009 season with a 6-6 record and a pink slip. The author was correct about one thing. Notre Dame was not Urban Meyer's dream job...Ohio State is.

COMPARING URBAN MEYER AND NOTRE DAME SINCE 2009

Record for urban Meyer and Notre Dame Since 2009
YEAR NOTRE DAME URBAN MEYER
2009 6-6 13-1
2010 8-5 8-5
2011 8-5 -----
2012 12-1 12-0
2013 9-4 12-2
2014 8-5 14-1
2015 10-2 11-1

TOTAL 61-28  (.685) 70-10  (.875)

Urban Meyer did not coach in 2011.

Bowl Games and Results for ND and Urban Meyer
SEASON NOTRE DAME URBAN MEYER
2009 ----- Sugar Bowl (W)
2010 Sun Bowl (W) Outback Bowl (W)
2011 Champs Sports Bowl (L) -----
2012 BCS National Championship (L) -----
2013 Pinstripe Bowl (W) Orange Bowl (L)
2014 Music City Bowl (W) Sugar Bowl (W) // CFP NCG (W)
2015 Fiesta Bowl Fiesta Bowl

RECORD 3-2  (.600) 4-1  (.800)

Notre Dame did play for a national title, but would Buckeye fans be happy with appearances in the Sun Bowl, Champs Sports Bowl, Pinstripe Bowl and Music City Bowl? The future is bright at Ohio State and Urban Meyer is providing the hot white light.

Urban Meyer

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments