Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Fan Entitlement and Perspective

0 HS
Eddie27Zeke15's picture
December 8, 2015 at 3:48pm
62 Comments

We live in a golden era of Ohio State football.  Our team won a national title last year.  It came a few points from making the playoffs this season, a feat that is not as much of a birthright as many fans seem to believe.  We have a head coach who almost everyone agrees is one of the couple best in all of college football.  We have a team populated by players who have multiple pairs of gold pants.  And we get to play Notre Dame in a major bowl at the end of a season where we came up a little short of the ultimate goal.

I'm damn proud of this team.  I think we're all pretty fortunate that we have had the career of a Braxton Miller to enjoy.  Joey Bosa.  Zeke.  The list could go on and on.

Yes, we could have done better this year.  We could have won that game.  We all know that.

And I understand passion.  I wish we won it too.  That's why we're here.  We love this team and we all feel those ups and downs.

But the entitlement that many Ohio State fans display is mind-numbing.  Instead of celebrating this team and its players and accomplishments, it's "Fire Fickell/Beck!"  It's "the Heisman voters are idiots."  "The playoffs should expand so that we're in."  "The media hates us."  "But SEC!"

Maybe keep this in mind:  There are other schools.  Conferences too.  Even a few amazing players who don't end up with buckeye leaves on their helmets.  And you know... they do good things too.  Some of their players earn championships too (like Sparty did when it beat our boys).  It's okay for the media to praise their successes.  If you listen, you'll note them acknowledging their weaknesses too.  Even SEC teams.  I'm serious.

We don't all automatically know better.  We don't always deserve a trophy.  Sometimes the other team is going to win and the media is going to smile when it talks to them instead of us.

And then, our legendary coach is going to put together the best staff he can find, recruit the best Buckeyes he can assemble, motivate them with every tool in his arsenal, and they're going to go out there and win more games than almost everyone else.

And a bunch of Buckeye fans will complain about the trophy or beauty pageant we didn't win.  Not just Buckeye fans, but other fan bases too.

i just wish our fan base could become a better fan base than the rest. Maybe we could be more mature.  Less entitled.  More realistic.  Less butt hurt.  Who gives a shit about Mark May?  Our mama's all think we're beautiful.  Let's prove them right.  

Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 62 Comments