Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Venting about the offense... I apologize still frustrated

0 HS
cmented36's picture
December 1, 2015 at 7:36am
59 Comments

While you can clearly see that the play calling was more creative vs TTUN and I absolutely loved the shotgun wing T with 2 H backs at the wings I still don't understand where the short simple passing game is. It seems as though the coaches are scared to even throw it quick outside which to me seems crazy when you think Braxton, Jalin, C4, and Thomas would be on the receiving end. It would seem like an easy adjustment in game whenever you see off coverage to pop it to the WR's to show you at least have some kind of passing threat besides deep play action routes. This is what is makes watching the games so frustrating, they clearly have the athletes but are content with running Barrett 19+ a game. Am I happy with a running threat QB? hell yea it adds another dimension, but the adjustment after VT last year was to actually include quick dump throws and let the athletes play, seemed to be pretty effective. I also really like the fake jet, power play that they run every once in a while and was the reason Zeke went big vs Indiana on his first run I believe. I guess I just don't quite understand why the staff just seems to be content under utilizing the athletes on the perimeter. It just makes sense to stretch the defense horizontally with quick hitters when the line has shown that they struggle blocking for the deep ball. It would at least get 9 out of the box because 95% of the time OSU's athletes on the edge are going to win the 1-on-1 battle in open field. For OSU to be this one dimensional seems crazy to me because they clearly have the athletes to execute a balanced offense. 

I apologize I guess I really am just venting, I'm still frustrated by the MSU game. It just seems that in the 4 loses under Meyer ( I know, I know being incredibly nitpicky) the team has just been out coached and not decisively outplayed. I understand option football is a different style than traditional offenses but the reason GT doesn't do big things is because the threat to pass just isn't consistent enough so teams have everybody playing run and at the upper end of college football that just isn't enough to win vs even matched teams. 

I guess it would be nice to just see a little bit more of the "hmm they have the box stacked and corners off lets take the easy 5 yards instead of running Zeke/JT at 9 guys. 

I digress and I apologize I just really needed to get it off my chest and it's frowned upon to talk too much football at the office. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 59 Comments