Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Bucks Can't Sleep On Illini? I Say Yes. Yes, They Can.

Matt Gutridge's picture
November 10, 2015 at 6:11pm
20 Comments

Michael Citro wrote a nice column today on the Illini's ability to beat Ohio State at inopportune times. He presented enough doom and gloom to make you a little fearful for Saturday's tilt. He finished his piece with this:

So don’t be surprised if this game is closer than it should be on Saturday. Weird things happen in Champaign. And the Illini know how to deal with them. 

Don't fall for this trap. I counter that if Ohio State comes out sleepwalking in Saturday's noon banger the Buckeyes will still leave Champaign with a victory. How can I be so certain? I'll give you the cold hard facts to help you sleep well this week.

FOUR FUN FACTS AND THE LAST TEN GAMES IN CHAMPAIGN
  1. Ohio State has won ten-straight games played at Memorial Stadium.
  2. 1991 was the last time Ohio State lost in Champaign.
  3. 1985 was the last time, and only time, the Buckeyes lost to an unranked Illinois team in Memorial Stadium (21-1).
  4. Ohio State wins by an average score of 33-13 when the Buckeyes are ranked and Illini are not ranked and the game is played in Memorial Stadium.

LAST TEN GAMES VERSUS ILLINOIS IN CHAMPAIGN
YEAR SCORE OSU RANK ILL. RANK
2013 60-35 No. 3  
2011 17-7   No. 16
2010* 24-13 No. 2  
2008 30-20 No. 10  
2006 17-10 No. 1  
2002 23-16 (OT) No. 2  
2000 24-21 No. 13  
1998 41-0 No. 1  
1996 48-0 No. 2  
1993 20-12 No. 6  

TOTAL 304-134    

*NCAA sanctions be damned.

I will be surprised and very disappointed if Saturday's game turns out to be closer than expected. With the Silver Bullets gunning for their second shutout of the season and JT Barrett behind center the Buckeyes will beat Illinois in a sleeper.

Sorry Michael, but I think the Buckeyes could beat Illinois with their eyes shut.

Good Night
Go here if you would like to read more information on the history between Ohio State and Illinois.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments