Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Scheduling a tougher slate in future years

0 HS
huffdaddy's picture
November 9, 2015 at 11:52am
111 Comments

First world problems here...

We have great recruiting classes for 2016 and 17. We should reasonably expect to have a shot at the playoffs down the road.

It's clear from the way the committee works that teams need to be more ambitious in scheduling in the future. We gave ourselves no margin for error this year (and the B1G didn't help with no Iowa/Wisconsin/Northwestern). It's not smart to set up a schedule where you have to go undefeated to make the playoffs.

Looking ahead, we should be trying to schedule 2 reasonably hard out of conference games every year - or at least 1 definite hard game and 1 possibly hard game.

I don't see it. We have Oklahoma the next 2 years - hopefully they will stay pretty good but no guarantee they don't fall off, looking at their recruiting.

Then we have home and home with TCU starting in 2018. I don't expect TCU to still be great then. I think this could be a Va. Tech situation where they fall off.

I know teams schedule way in advance, but I'd love to see us add another quality opponent or two for future years. You don't have to be a genius to see that the committee is going to take teams with 1-2 losses against a tough schedule in the future, but they won't take even 1 loss against a weak schedule. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 111 Comments