Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Chris Ash responsible for move to Rugby Tackling

0 HS
toad1204's picture
October 28, 2015 at 3:33pm
37 Comments

Good Article on the move from the "head across the bow" tackling to the Hawk or Rugby style wrap-up tackling.  It makes a lot of sense from a safety standpoint.  Common sense says when you don't lead with your head your chances to get concussions and injuries to the spine go down considerably.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25356375/how...

Urban Meyer wanted nothing to do with rugby-style tackling at Ohio State. The idea of defenders using their shoulders to tackle, changing target points on a ball carrier and emphasizing wrapping up around the legs wasn't an easy sell to Meyer. Like so many coaches, Meyer had been taught that tacklers should force their heads across the chest of a ball carrier -- the “head across the bow” model that represented Tackling 101 for so long.

But Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash pushed to change techniques after the 2013 season. Ash watched Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll's video of the Hawk Tackle, which sells the rugby tackle as safer for the head and more efficient to bring down ball carriers. Ash studied his past and present defenses and realized many of his players used rugby tackling anyway, not the technique being coached.

The idea of rugby tackling “was one that I fought at first and I said no, we're not going to do that,” Meyer said. “Chris Ash is very persistent, he's a very good coach, and (like) good coaches who really believe in something, stayed on me. … I listened. I did as much research as I could and ultimately we

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 37 Comments